SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger P95. Opinions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger P95. Opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, all.
I visited the LGS this weekend, and in one of the cabinets was a Ruger P95 on consignment.

I had a P89 that I kick myself routinely for selling. I'm having trouble finding another, and this P95 suddenly appeared. I loved my P89. It was clunky, but it absolutely never failed. Plus, it was the first semi-auto I ever bought.

I didn't take time to look at this P95 closely (because I had P89 stuck in my head), but I think I'll go have a look again this week.

I'm thinking about it as the "truck gun" -- not that I'd leave one in there, but as one that would be "at the ready" whenever it was time to carry something along (either in addition to or instead of the EDC).

Anybody got P95? Had P95? Got opinions on P95?
Maybe I should keep looking for a P89?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I have had all the classic centerfire Ruger P-series pistols, and, imho, they are best values.
-Inexpensive
-Tank tough
-Highly reliable (up there with the best of them)
-They will not win any beauty contests, but I would have no problems taking them to bed with me, knowing that they will go bang each time.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think you nailed it with that description!

Selling mine goes on "Vthoky's list of stupid maneuvers," in bold, black ink. Frown

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Built like a tank, reliable, accurate, soft-shooting. The single drawback I can think of is they are somewhat bulky.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I still have my P89, my first handgun, and I will not get rid of it for all the reasons above.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I think you nailed it with that description!

Selling mine goes on "Vthoky's list of stupid maneuvers," in bold, black ink. Frown

Add my name to your list...I sold my P95DC Stainless to a buddy about 12 or so years back Frown...I regretted it almost from the moment it exchanged hands. It fed anything (it loved cast bullets at starting loads)...never jammed and was accurate. It was somewhat bulky, but in a good way...P95, I miss you Frown.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've honestly wondered how much trouble it would be for my LGS (where I sold/traded my P89) to track down who bought it....

---

ETA: Holy smokes, I just realized how many magazines I let go with that gun. Jeepers, man, this goes on the stupid-list twice!

God bless America.

Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
I have a KP 93 which is the all metal version of the P 95. Hard to find. The story is that Bill Ruger did not want to wait on the developement of the KP 93 so he had Ruger hurry up with production of a polymer version so as not to miss sales waiting on the 93.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My P89DC! as others have already mentioned, is super reliable, fed anything, and I still have it. I am kicking myself for not buying a P95 when they were still being made, and so I, too, am looking for a nice P95.

I bought a PC-9GR as a companion to my P-89, and I won't ever part with that either. And, as the others have stated, Rugers are big and clunky, but they go bang every time, and really are a great value for the money.

Unless there is something obviously wrong with it, I would snatch it up if it's a good price.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
P95 and P97 are awesome guns. Very underrated.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As has been stated over and over, the P95 is a very solid pistol. I had the 1st model as well as the 2nd model. NEVER had a single malfunction from either. For the "non-enthusiast", they are hard to beat.

Skip

Posts: 765 | Location: West Central Ga. | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There's a gent on calguns selling a P91 of the for-tay is your thang (380). It's the blue version.

With that, I have a P90DC and absolutely love it. Can hit quarters at 15 yards all day long with the the red box PMC ammo.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Weren’t P95’s issued to Army Tank crews at one point?

I remember as a kid I always loved the Ruger P series cause Arnold wielded them in True Lies.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Does any Ruger aficionado here remember the KP93 with their integral laser? Everytime the subject of Ruger came up, I still kicked myself for getting rid of that gun.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Does any Ruger aficionado here remember the KP93 with their integral laser? Everytime the subject of Ruger came up, I still kicked myself for getting rid of that gun.

I remember those. It had a fat slanted dust cover and sort of looked like a ray gun.

I think this is a 94 but they looked similar. Reminds me of the Sig Sp2009 with the factory slanted dust cover laser unit that mounted on the proprietary rail.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, that's it. It might have been the 94 that I owned. Been too long ago.

Q

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
There's a gent on calguns selling a P91 of the for-tay is your thang (380). It's the blue version.

Doggone it, man! If I bought that one, I'd have to go over to a friend's house right after and buy back the PC40 I had!

I guess the good thing about selling something to a friend is the opportunity to buy it back! Sure wish I had sold him that P89....

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Weren’t P95’s issued to Army Tank crews at one point?

Five thousand of them, according to Wikipedia.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I had the first version of the P95 and sold it many years ago. I was able to find an LNIB version - with the light rail - on Crook Broker last year. For $300, it was an absolute steal! P-89's, in decent shape, are becoming more and more difficult to find ... Frown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I owned a P95DC about 20 years ago. Very solid pistol, one I carried both concealed and in uniform as a reserve deputy.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
milk jugs at 50 feet , all day long

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post