SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What Can You Tell Me About The Beretta 86 Cheetah?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Can You Tell Me About The Beretta 86 Cheetah? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I ran across someone interested in selling a .380 Beretta 86 Cheetah with a 4.25"+ tip-up barrel. The exterior's a little dinged up, but (from what I, in my ignorance, can tell) the interior seems fine.

What can you tell me about picking up a used version of this pistol? Are there still magazines around? If you bought one used, is there anything you'd automatically replace (springs, etc.) if only on general principles?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'd grab it. They are well sought after. I believe they use the same magazines as the 85. The few I have seen on the auction site go for high dollar (like 6-800). When they are there.

As far as used guns go I like to replace the recoil and hammer springs, just because. And magazine springs if I can find them.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
They are a neat, unique single stack Beretta. They're especially good if someone has weak hands (elderly, arthritis, etc.), as you can load the first round in the tilt up barrel without having to rack the slide. I picked one up not long ago. Although it was NIB, I've shot it and found it to be a great .380. 'mbinky' is correct, it uses the same magazines as the 85.

Here's mine:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
The few I have seen on the auction site go for high dollar (like 6-800).

Mine just sold for $1550/shipped on Gunbroker earlier this month. I did a penny start.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. How hard is it to take apart for a thorough cleaning and lubrication and then reassemble? I wouldn't necessarily want to reduce it to component pieces, but I did see a little gunk down in a couple of nooks and crannies.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a few years. The usual Beretta reliability and I liked the tip up feature. As accurate a gun as I can shoot. My only complaint was an absolute lack of holsters for it.
Great pistol!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning is easy. I’d tip
Up the barrel, hit it with Gun Scrubber, and give it a light
Brushing. Swab the bore, spray with a dry lube.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Manual of arms is a little strange, it is NOT like the .22s and .25s.

The opening lever is on the right and must be swung 180 deg to open, then manually swung back while holding the barrel down to close. Not like the snap action of the smallbores.

If you want to get to a DA start, load the chamber with the hammer down, it has a safety, not a decocker.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
One of the prettiest pistols ever built IMO. Funky cool too.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Traded a like-new Sig 245 for one in excellent condition after looking for two years. Rather hard to find them these days....especially in great condition. Beautiful, well made gun IMO. Fredward has the right technique regarding cleaning. Q-tips will aid in getting into the crevices.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Cool - I just happened to get in a selection of pointy ones from Brownells'.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I could swear a small batch of these came into the country from Beretta a year or two ago. I saw several new production 80 series pistols at a local shop around the time I stumbled across the P7 PSP that I bought. The counter guy said that these came direct from Beretta, which our rep at the time never told US any of this so we were oblivious to them when we ordered our Berettas for the year. I thought one of those was the 86; I was intrigued by all of them but damned if I was going to buy yet another .380 that would inevitably wind up a safe queen gathering dust.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like them but with the street price don't need to be buying one right now. For the size & weight one can get onto a 9mm if any type of CC is involved.

I'll keep my eye out for one at a good price.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I've got to admit I was thinking of an elderly relative.

soggy_spinout, did the pistols you saw come with the tip-up barrels?

Thanks for the information, folks. I went ahead and picked it up. I'd put up a pic but I still haven't gotten a photo hosting arrangement set up.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought one of those was the 86; I was intrigued by all of them but damned if I was going to buy yet another .380 that would inevitably wind up a safe queen gathering dust.

Yup. It's the reason Beretta makes the 87 (22LR) version. Smile

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went to an elderly relative, and after her death to her thieving relatives.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pistol for the old or less that strong as the hardest action required is to load the magazine. My old fart gun. Only disadvantage is that it can;t be field stripped with out the special tool and extra pins that rarely accompany the used gun. But you can still clean it acceptably well without removing the slide.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Sweet shooters, and they bring crazy money compared to the other tip up models when new in box, even in shooter grade to a lesser extent.

I've seem a grand total of 2 in person in twenty years, bought them both.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the double stack as I’ve got bigger mitts...but they are cool pistols. James Bond cool. Recoil is a little harsher than you might expect if you are used to another system...but that’s hardly worth mentioning. Mine is perfectly accurate...and damned sexy in the hand.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post