SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally shot my P229 .40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally shot my P229 .40 Login/Join 
posted
I bought a P229 non-rail German frame p229 a few months back for a killer deal-$330.00 shipped. When it came in, I thought my ffl gave me the wrong one as it looked brand new-inside and out. I finally took it out today and was amazed at how pleasant it was to shoot. I was using some fmj's and hp's and both were very easy to do double taps with on target. I haven't had a 40 in a long time and have read/heard some issues with people and recoil shooting a .40 cal pistol but the p229 makes it feel like shooting a low powered 9mm round. I may have found a new favorite pistol.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great deal! Yeah the P229 is a sweeties and makes shooting the .40 a pleasurable experience. Love mine too.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the P229 and P226 make shooting the .40 pleasurable. In my opinion, they are MADE for that caliber. I think it is due to the weight of the gun as well as the bore axis.

Adding a solid guide rod to the gun makes it even better . . . .

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang that was a good deal. Congrats

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You definitely got the wrong pistol. No way a horribly snappy .40 caliber round wouldn't break your wrists with the skyscraper high bore axis because of physics. It's simply impossible. Because physics.

Great price OP, congrats on a great pistol!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The 229/.40 is in my opinion, one of the best Sig designs ever. IIRC, the gun was designed around the caliber and it has proven to be a winner.

Congratulations on a smokin' deal.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
a killer deal-$330.00 shipped.

Holy smokes! I bought my P229 used and it wasn't that good a deal....

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 229/40 is one of my favorite pistols. It is the best handling .40 that I have ever shot. It handles the cartridge so well.

Congrats to the OP on a great deal. You will continue to love that pistol.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my P220, I have a 40 barrel and a 357sig also.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ericp:

Registered in 2001 and this is your first post? You are a very patient member. Smile

That has to be some kind of record.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:

Registered in 2001 and this is your first post? You are a very patient member. Smile

Sure beats my roughly 10 yr hiatus Big Grin

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder which is a softer shooter, a 229 in 40S&W or a 4th Gen G23. There used to be an FBI agent who loved his 229 but when he was finally forced to accept his issued G23, IIRC he said he liked the G23 better after he received it. Not sure if he's still here and if he still feels that way.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
My 229R came in 40 enjoyed shooting it as has been said above very easy to handle. Got a 357sig barrel and that is what stays in it now.
You got a GREAT deal on it, enjoy shooting it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:

Not as much a record as getting those .40 and .357 barrels to work in the P220....

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post