Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P227 Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking of buying a used P227. Price is $650. Was hoping someone here has one and will share your impressions of the pistol. Don't have a Blue Book so would appreciate any comments on the price.

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, that's about what they were going for used in CenTex shows pre-panic.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
At 650.00 it’s a steal. Especially with crazy prices right now.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Is the P227 a revision of the P220?

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I have a 227 SAS Carry and think it is a great pistol. For the price you mentioned you are getting a great buy. Ask the seller if they have any additional magazines you could get with it also.

Good luck

Posts: 538 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnwind:
Thanks, guys. Is the P227 a revision of the P220?

Basically. P220 was single stack, P227 revised to higher capacity. Dare we say 'double stack' since it only increased capacity by 3 rounds.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it. Makes an excellent suppressor host.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the frame and slide of the P227 is actually derived from the P226, not the P220. Like many of Sig’s classic P Series handguns, it’s a shame they no longer make the P227.

Posts: 76 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know about derivation, but the grip does seem to work better for those of us who prefer the feel of the 226 grip to that of the standard 220.

OP, I'd try to tell you more about the feel of shooting the 227, but I immediately slapped a longer, heavier (Match) upper half on the thing so I can't really say anything about shooting a standard 227. FWIW, I do find it more comfortable to shoot than a standard 220 Match.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think the mags are hard to find, maybe see what you can find with the buy

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Like a 10mm Classic line SIG pistol, a P220 that would hold 10 rounds was something that the gun-buying public were supposed to turn into an instant commercial success if only the head-in-the-sand leadership at the company would wake up and realize its potential. There were constant posts here clamoring for the gun. Until the P227 was introduced. That was the end of the requests.

The gun never seemed to have attracted much interest, and I’ve often wondered why since. As pointed out, 10 rounds wasn’t that much of a capacity increase, and rightly or wrongly, the 14-round mags got the reputation of being unreliable. The gun changed the classic feel of the P220, and besides, everyone knew then that the 45 ACP was such a devastating man-stopper that extra rounds were just an unnecessary addition to the weight of the gun. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, unfortunately, the P227 was sold to someone else. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Not all is lost as I've got a line on a P226 9mm Elite Stainless ASE for $700. I'm guessing that's a decent price?

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
That’s a good price in the P226. It’s also a much better gun than the P227. I have had both.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The P227 is a well-made, high quality gun. It makes a fantastic duty gun (would be even better if Sig had figured out how to make the 14-round magazines work)...our Troopers are issued them, and all the guys I know like them. I've also been impressed with the ones I've shot. IMO it was a commercial failure for a couple of reasons (but being a bad gun was not one of them):

1. Sig had horrible timing. They finally got around to releasing the P227 right as many agencies that were still carrying DA/SA guns were making the shift to striker-fired polymer. The P227 got released in 2013, and then had to compete with the P320 which came out the next year...not to mention plenty of Glocks and M&Ps that were already established. Also being chambered in .45 when the trend was moving towards 9mm didn't help.

2. Keeping in mind the situation above which killed the agency contract market, one must also consider that the gun isn't really designed for concealed carry. It's big. It makes a better duty gun than a CCW piece. I carry a P245 on my own time, so I'm ok with lugging a pretty big, heavy gun around all day, but even I wouldn't want to try and CCW a P227. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there's a limited market for it as a CCW piece.

It's too bad...I have a thing for .45s and I like the gun. I wish Sig had released it earlier so that there were more of them out there on the market, but it is what it is. I'm hoping that I can snag one of the ISP guns when they dump them for whatever they are going to next.

It sounds like you found a good alternative in the 226. That's a good price on a nice gun...I'd grab it before it's gone.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnwind:
Well, unfortunately, the P227 was sold to someone else. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Not all is lost as I've got a line on a P226 9mm Elite Stainless ASE for $700. I'm guessing that's a decent price?

The P227 is a gun we have been asking for since the P226 came out more than 30 years ago

I used to bring it up at SHOT every year. I do not recall when I stopped

SIGs timing on several pistols has been poor.

Not being a HUGE fan of 9MM, I much prefer my P227 over my P226s.

Take the P226 while you can, but do not give up on finding a nice P227

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig reps came to a local range with a massive stack of pistols for sale, and free hands-on trials of any model. This was years ago, when the P224 and P227 were new. I jumped at the chance to fire both. I liked the ergonomics and familar feel. The P224 ran fine, but the P227 wouldn't go two rounds without a problem. It was dry as a bone, and why the sig reps offered that as a demo pistol, is beyond me (why they didn't know to lubricate their own firearms was a mystery, too).

I passed. I wished after, that I'd picked up one of each. I ended up going with a G21 for a .45 higher capacity handgun, though I've been an admirer and owner of the P220 for a long time.

If you can find magazines for it, the P227 would be a great choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the YOUTUBE review from Nutnfancy.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have three of them. Sad SIG doesn't offer parts kits nor magazines anymore. Existing mags are easy to fix with better springs and metal mag bases. I am told you can use the P320/45 magazines in a P227 with a new base but I have not tried it.

SIG could've competed with the G21/41 had they done the magazine capacity correctly. And barrel length. There are similar complaints about the P220/10mm and no P220 45 or 10mm with optics cuts.

And we know SIG only grudgingly supports anything other than 9mm. No response to the G44 or TX22, dropped .22 conversions for classics, and no P320/10mm although promised. P320/45 is essentially dead.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PM me if you need mags. I know where there are several new old stock.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
PM me if you need mags. I know where there are several new old stock.

How do you pm on here in need a few 227mags

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post