SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Disappointed in my Sig 320 Legion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in my Sig 320 Legion Login/Join 
posted
Bought a new Legion and took it the range for accuracy testing. I was shooting 5 shot groups from a solid rest at 25 yards, using several types of ammo including Atlanta Arms match Ammo. The groups were from 6-8 inches! This is the most inaccurate pistol that I have ever shot! After researching Brian Enos forums I find that it is common for 320 Legions to have accuracy problems. The problems the Legion slide itself. Accuracy is improved by using an X5 slide on the Legion frame.
When you are pressing the trigger the slide will actually raise from the frame. The lockup is very poor.when the gun is in battery. The barrel and slide are extremely loose. If you aren’t concerned with long range this might not be a problem for you. Just a heads up.

Posts: 22 | Location: Pittsburgh  | Registered: October 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It may well be "common", but it should be fixable.

Call SIG.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jolman:
When you are pressing the trigger the slide will actually raise from the frame.

It is my understanding that is inherent to all the P320s. Certainly is the case with the 3 I own, 2 RXPs full size and an M17. All 3 are very accurate.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
It may well be "common", but it should be fixable.

Call SIG.
it is fixable. You just need to put an X5 slide on the Legion frame. I finding it online for around 500 dollars.

Posts: 22 | Location: Pittsburgh  | Registered: October 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who wants to spend that much money on a legion,then spend $500 more to make it accurate?

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
It is my understanding that is inherent to all the P320s. Certainly is the case with the 3 I own, 2 RXPs full size and an M17. All 3 are very accurate.

The P320 is not inherently inaccurate. The P320 is plenty accurate, and the Legion equally so.

I can't imagine why an X5 slide would be much improvement.

Grayguns is supposed to be offering their bull barrel mod for the P320F some time this year, or so they said last year. A good upgrade.

I don't have any issues with any of my P320's, be they full size, carry/compact, or subcompact.

The P320 legion is an outstanding value for the price; you can't put those components together and pay less.

For my competition P320's, I've gone with the Grayguns triggers and guide rods, and other modifications, tailored to my liking, but the stock P320 legion out of the box is an excellent pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
We have 4 P320s in the house that include 2 Legion X5 guns. They all have GGI triggers as I like the over travel adjustment. Every one on them is very accurate and capable of delivering golf ball size holes at speed from 15 yards and in. I can’t say that I have ever tried to shoot groups out of them at distance. If I was trying to shoot the nuts off a squirrel at 25-50 yards I guess I’d be reaching for my X6. The movement of the slide on the P320 has to do with how it rides the rails of the FCU. It moves less with a magazine inserted. I would think all of my P320s would be more than capable of better than 6-8” groups at 25 yards based on what they can do at 15 yards. Sounds like you have a bad gun that should return to Sig for servicing.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Per the SIG website, the P320 Legion IS an X5, sooo Is there another P320 Legion I'm not aware of...I'm not finding one referenced ANYWHERE on the internet!

I was under the impression that all P320 Legions were X5's, but not all P320 X5's were Legions.

Any chance this has anything to do with the 'Pre-Tensioned' Barrel? Did SIG discontinue using the the 'Pre-Tensioned Barrel' in the X5's as well, or am I missing something?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Per the SIG website, the P320 Legion IS an X5, sooo Is there another P320 Legion I'm not aware of...I'm not finding one referenced ANYWHERE on the internet!

I was under the impression that all P320 Legions were X5's, but not all P320 X5's were Legions.

Any chance this has anything to do with the 'Pre-Tensioned' Barrel? Did SIG discontinue using the the 'Pre-Tensioned Barrel' in the X5's as well, or am I missing something?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The Legion slide is basically the X5 slide, I think SIG has loosened the barrel/slide lock up fit slightly on X models due to customer complaints of the slide not returning all the way forward when it is eased forward and not allowed to snap home.

I own an older X-Carry with the chamber outside beveled barrel that the slide refused to go all the way forward without assistance if the slide was eased forward. Quite a tight fit.

I purchased a new style X-Carry (chamber area not beveled on the outside) barrel from SIG and now the slide always goes all the way forward, even if eased. I can feel just a tiny hint of side to side play in the barrel chamber slide lockup that was not there with the original barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CAR,

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P320 owners manual for all P320's says to sling shot the slide, or drop it from the slide lock lever, but do not ride it forward.

Right there in the owners manual.

I don't think Sig has "loosened" anything up.

Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
May have no bearing on the OP's issue, but I can no longer shoot accurately from a rest. For whatever reason I can consistently shoot smaller groups offhand than from my pistol rest. Years ago I could rely on my benched results to evaluate new loadings, but not now for some reason. I have forgotten proper bench rest technique. I need to figure it out.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Call SIG.

This.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no Legions but have two ordinary 320s, a .45 Compact with a GGI flat trigger and an X Compact. Both will do the "one ragged hole" at 15 yards and at 25 yards, the groups open up a bit. But its my shooting skills that lack at greater distances, not the guns accuracy.
I agree with others that recommend sending the OPs gun back to Sig. Something is out of spec.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
May I suggest you have someone else shoot the pistol? In general, the P320s are much more accurate than most of us. Certainly more accurate than I can be even with a bench rest.

I would do that first, and if the results are similar, a phone call to SIG would be the next step.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^^^ this. Sometimes I'm just having a bad day, a gun fits another shooter better, or a buddy is just a flat-out better shot. It's possible there's something wrong with the gun, but most of the time I find it's me (the shooter) instead. It's a lot easier to let a buddy try it first than it is to go through the whole RMA process.

The design of the P320 is not inaccurate. My bone stock carry model will outshoot what you are describing unsupported at 25 yards. If it does turn out to be a problem with your gun, it's a problem with THAT gun, and Sig should be able to fix it for you.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original poster's comments indicate that he isn't familiar with the P320 platform.

When lockup is described as being loose, what is meant? Can you hold the slide firmly in your left hand, and move the muzzle within the slide? That's poor lockup. If there's no movement of the muzzle in the slide when the slide is held fast, then you have solid lockup.

The slide will appear to move slightly if dry firing, with no magazine in place. Put a magazine in place and this will not occur; put a loaded magazine in place (not recommended when dry firing at home), and there won't be any movement.

The slide on the P320 rides on the bottom of the rails. Not the top. The lockup on every one of my P320's, in all versions, is solid. There's play in the slide relative to the frame, but this does not impact accuracy, any more than the play between the lower receiver and upper receiver of an AR-15 affects accuracy (it doesn't). Your sights aren't moving relative to the slide, and you're aligning the slide and barrel, not the frame. Accuracy isn't impacted by slide to rail or slide to frame play.

On my competition P320's, I use Dawson Precision sights, with a fiber optic front; this provides a much smaller, refined front sight, and it's easier to be more accurate with the shot placement. The front sight on most other arrangements may be visible, but covers more target; the difference may be thought of as a 1 MOA sight vs. a 5 MOA sight, for example (numbers are not exact or specific, but illustrative).

When you describe firing from the bench, how did you secure or hold the pistol. There are a lot of ways to bench a pistol; many of them contribute to inaccuracy.

I'd second steve495's comment above. Get someone else to shoot the pistol; several someone else's would be better. Compare the results. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get the results you're describing, but I suspect it is the shooter and not the pistol.

posted Hide Post
I have a ZEV X5 slide and barrel on a custom works FCU. Still needs sights then it will get tested. Barrel fits slide like every other P320 I have. Close fit but not tensioned or tight. Barrel to slide lockup in battery is good. The DLC coating on slide and barrel makes it very smooth to cycle. More so than standard Sig parts.

Sig does the machining on the ZEV parts and they are roll marked Sig Sauer, I think ZEV just does the finish, or maybe somme final machining and finish. But otherwise they are Sig parts.

My first M17 Bravo is very accurate in a practical sense. I can reliably hit the target where I intend to and shoot decent groups. Does not seem any less accurate than any Classic Sig.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
May I suggest you have someone else shoot the pistol? In general, the P320s are much more accurate than most of us. Certainly more accurate than I can be even with a bench rest.

I would do that first, and if the results are similar, a phone call to SIG would be the next step.

This. I shot a P320 for the first time better than my VP9 that i've owned for years. Is it possibly certain people just shoot certain pistols better than others? And OP just happens to shoot the 320 poorly?

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Couple of years ago I was taking some training and the guy with a big Glock tattoo on his arm in the gun repair shop showed me how my Sig P320 compact could not be accurate because of how the slide wiggled.... the next day I shot a perfect score on the shooting qualification course.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot terrible groups off a pistol rest! Can you shoot other pistols well off a rest?

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post