SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DA/SA aficionados... what's your pocket/small pistol of choice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DA/SA aficionados... what's your pocket/small pistol of choice? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I'm considering transitioning from a striker-fired platform for all my pistol needs to a DA/SA platform. My problem is that I'm not finding any DA/SA guns that are truly pocket-size, nor many single-stacks similar in size to, say, a Glock 43 or Walther PPS. What is your choice for this need? Please don't say a S&W J-frame because my shooting ability with it is far worse than any small pistol. Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I suggest a CZ75 pcr! Great platform and solid as a rock. If you can find one try it on for size. You could be surprised. Did I mention affordable too? Good luck with your quest.

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
........J-Fr.....

Honestly and this is just me, I don’t know of a small, hammer fired DA/SA or sufficient caliber that pocket carries well. Even those autos smaller then a JFrame are boxy in shape and harder for me to draw.

Problem is strikers are so much more size efficient.

Geez not sure what to suggest.
Walther PP/PPks are heavy and fairly big
Makarov is the same
SIG P230/232 same.
The Springfield XDe is flat but still kinda big

I will let others chime in because for me personally the answer is JFrame, carries like a wallet.

Then again you could be one of those folks who say they can pocket carry a P30Sk or Glock 26/27. If that’s the case, more power too ya and a P30/P2000sk

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If you can pocket carry a CZ75 PCR then you sir don’t need a gun. Just use that railroad spike hammer John Henry. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
S&W Chiefs Special 9mm semi auto - CS9. Small, light weight, 7+1. Fits in my pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis holster when I use a mag with a flat rounded mag baseplate from its larger cousin the 3913TSW.

Accurate and bet your life reliable. Like all my other 3rd gen guns. Hammer fired aluminum framed TDA goodness. And it has a great trigger too.

And unlike the plastic striker fired current production s&w guns, no need to rebuild it with Apex parts to give it everything the factory couldn't be bothered too. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cz RAMI 2075

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I second the Rami.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I prefer DA / SA, but when I looked for a pocket size pistol I could not find one that I liked, so I went with SA: a P938.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Too large for a pocket, imho, but it is small enough to carry easily, the Smith 3914 is my choice. Really thin and easy to carry. Accurate and reliable. Carries little and shoots big. Fits my hand as if it was made for it.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Definitely not pocket, but a nice compact OWB carry (or IWB) is the SIG P230/P232.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I can’t think of any small DA/SA that is truly a pocket carry. The closest might be the RAMI or the new XD-e.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple Rami's. Nice guns, but far too big for my pockets. A Walter ppk or ppk/s might fit the bill if you don't mind 380 acp.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Smallest DA/SA I have is the P224 and P239, they do as I haven't found anything smaller. Looking around seems there is some compromise in features/size/weight/rounds/caliber and these mostly meet what I want.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Beretta Tomcat is DA/SA, .32 ACP and a true pocket pistol.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't make a pocket da/sa pistol.

I went with Kahr when I gave up waiting. I have a CM9 and P380.

Benefit is that you get the smoothest DAO known to man. Downside is the company's spotty history in the reliability department. My CM9 has never malfunctioned in maybe 1200 rounds. The 380 doesn't like steel case but seems reliable with everything else. Still too new to my collection to know for sure.

Cheating your "no j frame" requirement, I also have a Ruger SP101 that is great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kalford,

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I've owned a couple Rami's. Nice guns, but far too big for my pockets. A Walter ppk or ppk/s might fit the bill if you don't mind 380 acp.

I suppose a person could make that choice, but man, seems like you'd be getting the cart before the horse choosing your action first and then settling for a sub-optimal caliber so you could keep DA/SA. Wouldn't be my choice, anyway.

Which is not to say I never carry a .380; I have an LCP with a CT laser that I pocket carry when I have to wear a tucked in shirt and it's too hot for a jacket. But that's because it is the only pistol that truly fits in my pocket and doesn't look like I'm carrying a pistol in my pocket. It's a lot smaller than a PPK.

By the way, Jaybird, I realize you're not actually recommending he go this way, just offering it as a possibility if he's set on DA/SA and wants the smallest he can get.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:
They don't make a pocket da/sa pistol.

Nonsense.

Beretta Tomcat .32
Bersa Thunder 380CC .380
Walther PPK .380

Are all pocketable DA/DA pistols

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer da/sa for carry, but a Glock 43 is my pocket gun for work. If I’m not at work then then it’s a p30sk or my 229.
I had a 938, couldn’t get used to the safety, plus the trigger sucked for a single action.
Kahr is where id go if I didn’t have the g43

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I detest Springfield pistols, and I've been dumb enough to give them several chances over the years. BUT, I absolutely love the XD-E. It's not pocketable (IMO) but it's thin, has a nice SA/DA trigger, is inexpensive, nice sights, accurate and the Springfield incentive of 3 additional mags is a nice touch. I paid $339 with a laser and a total of 5 mags.....which I consider to be a bargain.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig 290RS has been 100%. Sure it isn't the best trigger out there or the nicest handling but it works well. It has real sights, it's hefty enough that it is comfortable to shoot and unlike strikers you can actually put it in your pocket without fear of shooting your nuts off. (I don't recommend not using a pocket holster but it's still safer than a striker gun without one). Plus, since they are hated you can get them dirt cheap.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post