SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 American standard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 American standard Login/Join 
posted
So I got a new Sig P210 with contrast sights and want to share some observations. I have held an original Sig P210 on my visit to Geneva and Alps many years ago and loved it, but never owned this kind of pistols before. Machining on my specimen is excellent and the steel parts have no flaws. Field-strip and assembly are very easy and intuitive. Trigger is extremely light (less than 3.5 lbs in my gun) and crisp. The wooden grips by Hogue are blocky, thick, slippery and the two halves are mismatched leaving a few mm-wide gap on the back, which pinches my hand. They are an embarrassment and will be replaced by G10 grips as soon as they come out. Hopefully, a custom maker (LOK or whoever) will make thin and sculptured grips that actually fit the gun.
On the first trip to the range, I shot 150 rds of old 124-gr ammo off-hand, in slow and rapid-fire 5-rd strings at 30 and 50 yards. The pistol did not have any malfunctions, the sights are properly aligned from the factory and the sight picture was clear. I hit 6 and 8" targets consistently and without much effort.
So overall, thumbs way up for the gun, down for the grips. I think it would be easy for Mec Gar to make 10-rd mags, given that stock mags can "almost" hold 9 rds and have basepads that are very easy to replace.
https://imgur.com/a/k6BUL6w

P.S. Sorry for the huge pics on imgur, don't know how to edit

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
There is a review in my current Guns & Ammo.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
the two halves are mismatched leaving a few mm-wide gap on the back

Out of specs. They (SIG) need to send you new grips.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maxwayne, read the review Smile and concur with everything except grips. I will call Sig and ask if they could replace those. The CS at Sig has been great lately.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Wish I could find one just to hold and see if I liked it. All I can find locally (greater Phoenix area) are the target versions, and the grips are way too big for my hands.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nuclear, gunbroker is your friend. I had not seen the standard model before buying, but held the Target and liked it. It is actually comfortable to hold because the grip is narrower on top. On the standard model, the grip is kind of thicker, but still ok. This is a single-stack gun, so trigger reach length is short. Outstanding gun overall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully, a custom maker (LOK or whoever) will make thin and sculptured grips that actually fit the gun.

+1, my only complaint about the standard is the grips.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible to see these grips and the gap?? Just want to compare to some of the P210's locally. Thanks.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be possible to see these grips and the gap??

I gave the grips to my buddy, who is a custom furniture maker by hobby. He said he can sand the grips from inside, so they will fit better. I will post the pic when he does. Should be done by the next range trip in a week.

Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
quote:
the two halves are mismatched leaving a few mm-wide gap on the back

Interesting. Mismatched halves and gaps are not how we/Hogue rolls. Grips are cut out of 1 block so it is possible to load blocks in the machine incorrect. Would be nice to see if there is a mismatch in the grip or something else that may need attention.

Yes, we have heard over the years our grip are bulky, and we have also heard they are a great fit. Hogue is working on a G10 version. We have yet to release pending a fit, form, function testing that are currently underway. Once complete, we will proceed with production and let everyone know.

If anyone has a problem with our product that comes on the weapon from the manufacture it is best to work with the manufacture to remedy. If they can't help, then bring it to Hogues attention. We are here to help. If others work on the grips and cause more harm then good, well, that could limit on what we can do to help you out.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hogue is working on a G10 version. We have yet to release pending a fit, form, function testing that are currently underway. Once complete, we will proceed with production and let everyone know.

Thank you Sir, for posting. Hope the G10 grips will be MUCH thinner and less slippery. I am guessing the inner portion of the grips in my P210 had some large burrs, which did not allow the two halves to come together completely. Now with some dremmeling of the insides, we managed to screw the grip together with no gap between the halves. Now they look like a tightly clenched butt, but if you look carefully, they are still mismatched. I will post a pic when time permits. Holding this gun is no problem for me because I can still reach the trigger, but people with small hands will likely have a problem with these grips.
If Sig were to release a Carry version of the same gun, I imagine it must have some G10 or rubber or micarta thin grips.

posted Hide Post
My 210 American Standard also came with terrible fit grips with a gap down the backstrap. Based on this example from Hogue I’m not sure I’ll ever buy from them again. They should be embarrassed by the way the grip halves fit on my gun.

Posts: 196 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is how the bottom of the grip looks like after fitting. We made the gap (red arrow) much smaller. I agree-this kind of grips is an embarrassment for this otherwise great gun. Sig CS told me that they do not exchange the grips if the gun works properly.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
they do not exchange the grips if the gun works properly.

Whaaat!?!? With the MSRP they hung on those things?!?!?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Although I find their excuse ridiculous, I'm not sure what you expected SIG to do in your particular case, since you don't have the before pics showing the "few mm-wide gap on the back", and you just went ahead and decided to DIY.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what you expected SIG to do in your particular case, since you don't have the before pics showing the "few mm-wide gap on the back"

I called Sig before modifying the grip. They did not offer to change the grip and did not have any grips for standard model in stock. But I will just wait till thin G10 grips appear for sale. The gun is perfectly shootable as is.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hessy2000:

Hope the G10 grips will be MUCH thinner and less slippery.

Agreed. My dealer called me when the P210 Standard came in. I have a Target, a German P210 Legend, and an original P49. I would have bought the Standard on the spot but the grips were just too bulky for me. I never got past that so can't comment on slipperiness or fit and finish. FWIW, I've never had an issue with Hogue products. When slimmer grips are available, I'll buy a Standard.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Gosh, this is the only time we have heard of ill fitting grips. We make these for Sig, there design. we have yet to hear that the grips are "mis-matched" from them. It does seem a little crazy they wont exchange, But, if they have enough grips to complete builds then that is understandable.
I have let our production team know of this thread and the issue talked about.

As I have stated earlier, Hogue is working on a G10 version also. product has be made and is now in the fit, form and function testing. Once it has been approved, production will begin. Sorry, I don't know when or how long this will take but you can be certain that when I hear I will pass it along.

So Please, if you have a grip/fit issue that is NOT acceptable Please let me know or if you can, send it in to my attention, we will do what we can to replicate the issue and take step to fit.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
Nice P210! I've always been a fan of Hogue ever since years ago Ken stepped in and helped me out with a pair of grips. A true stand-up type of gent. A credit to Hogue.

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2230 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a benefit that Ken from Hogue reads SigForum and posts. Hope the company will attend to the customer needs and make slim grips for P210 American Standard. I recall I once bought Extreme G10 grips for P226 for $18 from ebay and they were a good fit. Certainly no huge gaps anywhere...
Also, their piranha G10 Grips for MkIV are excellent. So let us hope they will redeem themselves with the p210 G10 grips.