SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need your opinions on fair price, 229R .40
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your opinions on fair price, 229R .40 Login/Join 
posted
I was browsing Armslist today, probably a bad idea, and came across a lnib Sig 229R in .40. Standard case, two mags. Asking 685.00 OBO, cash only. I assume it could be had for 650.00 +-. I can't find one to compare to. Is this a good covid price? And, any suggestions about Armslist?

Posts: 18 | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A year ago and that’s a $4-450 handgun and it would probably sit there for a while before someone bought it. Today... eh, I’d still try to get it for less than $600 unless I didn’t have a handgun at all.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, the best thing about a P229/.40 is that you are only a barrel change from a P229 in .357 Sig.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I just swapped a used Sig P233 SST for a used Sig
P229 .40 with a sig forum member and we both thought we got a great deal!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very new to Sig and this site. I just imagined a 226 or 229 would be 8 or 900. It's hard to do any real research. That's the first .40 I've run across. Glad I got a couple of responses to get started. More the merrier.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I bought a CPO 229 in .40 S&W years ago. Later I had Bruce Gray fit a Bar-sto 9 mm barrel in it, and now I just use the 9. You can go that direction, but not from 9 mm to .40.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Up until recently, the market was saturated with .40 place trade-ins, both 229s and 226s. Prices were down around $450 for a used .40 from large internet vendors. My brother got a pristine CPO P226 last year from CDNN for $450. I'm not sure what to tell you these days. If you look online, prices are ridiculous for everything. At my LGS, gun prices have stayed pretty static, although they've always been higher than the internet...typically he lists used .40 P229s for $550-$600.

For LNIB, if that's what you want, I'd say $650 is fair in the current market, especially considering it's local and you won't have to mess with an online transaction or pay shipping/transfer. If you're just looking for a shooter and don't mind a little wear, you can probably find something cheaper.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me add this, I would not part with any of my P-229s in today's market for $685!

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmw
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way. If it's local, it's one that you can have that the government is not able to confiscate. Unless you swap info of course...

Posts: 510 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: December 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
on the Broker,

DAO or DAK (how they are listed) show 5-600 bucks used,

standard 229's , railed or not, are several hundred $$ more,

so using completed auctions with bids as a guide, 685 is not a bad deal unless it is DAK

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A critical distinction, DAK or DA/SA.

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP you can't go wrong with a P-229R .40 for under $700 if as described. Suggestion, I'd meet the asking price and even add some $ if the seller has a few boxes of .40 ammo to go with the P-229R. Likewise a holster and magazine pouch might be available from seller for pennies on the dollar no longer of any use to seller, can't hurt to ask. Basically you are eliminating the middleman in this deal, the LGS.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it, the 229R was sold. It is a very confusing time to enter Sig world. I can't find a .40 lnib anywhere. Don't want GB. I can't hold two guns to compare..maybe I'm wanting a 226 and don't know it. Prices are said to be 500.00 and up..LGS's rarely have a Legend..1300.00..too confusing..da/sa vs dak vs. ? Frustrating, especially since I'm old and money is a bit scarce.

posted Hide Post
KenB agree tough time to be shopping. My pick would be a P-225 or second choice a P-6, carried by the W German and Swiss police it should meet your needs fine. Should be able to find a nice one within your original budget, no need to spend $1300 on a Legend.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kobren..thanks for the suggestion. I briefly looked up the 225. It seems to a great carry gun. As far as I can tell it's in 9mm. only. I've always preferred the .40cal. Plus I have more ammo than 9mm. I'll start the lgs search and see what shakes. Thanks again.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I've purchased a few locally off Texasguntrader.com a free site for buying/selling firearms. You might look for a similar site for OK. You just gotta be wary of frauds like near any other site unfortunately but there are tell-tell signs to look for.

I've even purchased a Sig once off Craigslist of all places. Guy posted a photo of a blue Sig box with a price of $1000. I inquired as to what he had and replied that he had a P229R in 9mm with accessories. He claimed it was German made but after I schooled him on the fact that only the frame was German made which didn't make it special he was more negotiable. I attempted to steer him towards Texas Gun Trader where he would have an appropriate audience but he wasn't interested in posting it there. He had come down to $850 but I told him I couldn't pay that besides I really didn't need it because I already own eight or ten P229. He contacted me again the following day asking what I would give him for it that day and I offered $600 for everything he had. He quickly accepted saying he wanted to purchase a guitar immediately. I ended up with a near pristine pistol, an extra 9mm serialized barrel that doesn't belong to pistol I purchased (which I've offered up on Sigforum free to whomever owns the pistol of the same serial number), set of new Hogue aluminum grips, cheap holster and at the last second he offered to throw in two 50rd boxes of 9mm. I was a bit wary but he was more than willing to swap information, sign a bill of sale and allow me to take a photo of his Texas LTC.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Googled for anything related to classified in Oklahoma and they make Armslist look like a supermarket. I'm thinking the obvious... just keep in touch with the lgs and keep an open mind. I may pm you for a quick question.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. The Texas Gun Trader site is fairly active so I figured OK surely has one similar. Let me know if you have any questions.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated. As they say, most of the fun is in the hunt..or something like that.

posted Hide Post
November 2018 I purchases a Sig P229 .40 DA-SA-decocker. LE trade-in, Sig Certified Pre-Owned (red box), factory refurbished to as-new condition, manual, 3 mags, one-year Sig warranty. I paid $392 delivered to a local FFL ($30 transfer fee, no sales tax).

Still seeing some of the "red box" CPO pistols on GunBroker, but prices have been steadily climbing. If I were thinking about selling mine today I would probably expect $600-plus.

At that time Sig MSRP for a new P229 was $1087, so I thought it was a killer deal for me. Great shooter, very accurate. I already had .40 ammo, reloading dies, bullet mold, so no problems there. I have thought about adding a .357 Sig barrel (about $130, supposed to be a simple drop-in conversion with no other parts changes), but I would be challenged to find ammo, brass, etc during the current shortages. The .357 Sig is an impressive performer and interests me, but I like just about any carry pistol with a caliber starting with a "4" also.

In the past I have also owned a P6 (German police surplus 9X19, about $250 10-12 years ago (grandson made off with it), and a P232 .380. They have all been excellent pistols.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post