SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot Size and Astigmatism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot Size and Astigmatism Login/Join 
Picture of ducatiti
posted
Upon trying out a RM06 with 3.25 MOA, I find the dot a bit large and looks like a bigger comet-like blob instead of a red dot when indoors. I stepped out with bright sun, the dot improvided having it a bit smaller and more appropriate but still not a perfect dot. I don't have this anymore since I returned it to B&H because it had blemishes and it looks used. B&H price is $469 for a type 2. Any other retailers with better deals? =)

My question is if I purchase a RM09 with 1 MOA, would this improve my situation? I think that with my Astigmatism, the 1 MOA dot will be bigger than what it actually is. I don't have a local retailer here who has a 1 MOA sight.

This is just mainly a range toy and I mainly shoot at an indoor range. I really want to get into red dot sights even with my deficiency. I can't purchase any other brand other than Trijicon/RMR because I already have a sight for it.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Posts: 56 | Registered: June 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
1 moa is going to be tiny for a pistol. I.e. it is going to be hard to track and find at speed. My eyes do goofy stuff, but I have never been diagnosed with astigmatism... and I do not remember the last time I had my vision checked... probably when i joined the Army in the mid 90's. I would try and go in the other direction, look at the 6.5 moa dot RM07 and see if the larger dot gives the same issue. It is also adjustable led, so you can adjust the brightness to whatever works with your lighting and your eyes...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 moa is going to be tiny for a pistol.

I agree, you will learn the Red Dot Dance for sure as you try to find the dot. I have a 2 moa dot and it is OK for bullseye shooting. I think 3 moa is about the minimum advisable for general shooting. If the brightness is manually adjustable turning it down helps me get a dot instead of a comet.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate enough to only have it in my non dominant eye currently. I find dialing down the brightness makes it look more like a dot than a comet or crescent so the small 1moa dot may work better than something bigger. Maybe try to find a local retailer with a 1 moa dot and see if that looks better?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know its not the solution your looking for but if you install a flip up rear sight and look through the aperture it will solve the squishy dot issue.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm fortunate enough to only have it in my non dominant eye currently. I find dialing down the brightness makes it look more like a dot than a comet or crescent so the small 1moa dot may work better than something bigger. Maybe try to find a local retailer with a 1 moa dot and see if that looks better?

Thank you all for your responses so far.

Anubismp, so have you tried the 1MOA with your astigmatism?

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I find it much easier to evaluate the dot in a well lit room with some depth (20+ ft) and to focus on the wall or a far object.

When shooting you don't focus on the dot, but when you're just looking at it to try out I find I tend to focus on the dot and it makes it much more blurry.

Getting glasses has helped. A lot. I plan on getting LASIK soon and having the astigmatism corrected.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have an RMR 07 on a FNX .45 Tactical that I use as a duty gun. The dot size for me is perfect, and fast to find.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
Received the RM09 (1 MOA) today. Dot is not as small as I expected, with my astigmatism that is. It actually works out better for me. The comet-like blob is not as pronounced as the 3 MOA. A bit smaller at auto brightness setting. I can easily make it bigger by turning up the brightness.

Here are some pics to show the dot size as I see them, although not as a perfect circle as the camera captures it. Overall very happy with my decision. I really thought that the RM09 was literally a small dot that may be too small for a pistol.

Here are some pics:

Banned
posted Hide Post
When you have that problem, the smaller the dot, the less "blob like" it will be.

I have a 1 MOA aimpoint micro, and I can live with it. But older, 4 MOA dot aimpoints years ago - looked like a huge blob to me.

Also, the lower the brightness, the less blob like the dot will be as well.

Looks pretty cool, how you have it set up!

Posts: 531 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beretta-neo:
When you have that problem, the smaller the dot, the less "blob like" it will be.

I have a 1 MOA aimpoint micro, and I can live with it. But older, 4 MOA dot aimpoints years ago - looked like a huge blob to me.

Also, the lower the brightness, the less blob like the dot will be as well.

Looks pretty cool, how you have it set up!

Thanks.

Weird though but when I look at the red dot for first time, lets say after a couple of hours or so... the red dot looks perfect. But given a few minutes or some light changes, there goes the blob again. But I have noticed, the red dot has been improving the past two nights.

Can stress be a part of astigmatism?

I know, I know, I will see an eye doctor soon Smile

Banned
posted Hide Post
No, but as you look at something longer -0 it can strain your eye. Somehow, that seems to be helping you.

If I shoot a rifle for an hour r so, I have to blink a lot as my eyes get tired and it makes it harder to aim

Posts: 531 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to question your experience, but I find when I personally focus hard on the target the dot is very crisp. When I have soft focus or am looking at the dot it becomes a blob.

I have astigmatism in my dominant/shooting eye.

I have both a type 2 RM06 and DPP. I prefer the DPP, much clearer glass and programming is a lot better.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
quote:
1 moa is going to be tiny for a pistol.

I agree, you will learn the Red Dot Dance for sure as you try to find the dot. I have a 2 moa dot and it is OK for bullseye shooting. I think 3 moa is about the minimum advisable for general shooting. If the brightness is manually adjustable turning it down helps me get a dot instead of a comet.

That's not really how you shoot a RDS. You track the target.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducatiti
posted Hide Post
Just an update. It's been a couple of days since I received my 1 MOA RMR. So far, dot is improving becoming less of a blob.

I'm new and all in the firearm arena but don't find it as difficult to spot the dot upon drawing the pistol as many say. Although, I have yet fired the pistol with the RMR, it looks like the 1 MOA won't give me any problems having a dot this small on a pistol.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but can't your astigmatism be corrected with glasses? I have the same problem, and I have astigmatism correction in my shooting glasses.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^not really.

Twangnbang astigmatism
https://youtu.be/WPZ76OzzJ74

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
^not really.

Twangnbang astigmatism
https://youtu.be/WPZ76OzzJ74

Hmm... I have prescription shooting glasses, and the 3MOA dot on my Burris Fastfire looks like a round dot with my glasses on and like a piece of red lint with my glasses off.

In all other respects, my distance vision is perfect. I don't need glasses for driving, etc.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post