SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm Browning Long and the Husky 1907!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Browning Long and the Husky 1907! Login/Join 
posted
Took some looking, but I found a couple boxes of 9X20mm! Nice shiny Privi brass, too...

So, the good news is I get to try out the latest JMB masterpiece to hit the collection, an early production Husqvarna 1907.

I really wanted an FN 1903, but budgets being budgets... Close enough.

It’s a very cool pistol. Like a Colt 1903 that took extra Flintstone vitamins as a kid.

Bill R

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stylophiles,

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
How'd they miss the "n" in Browning?!

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
How'd they miss the "n" in Browning?!

It was printed in China.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've always liked those pistols.
Thanks for posting yours.

Simpson's Ltd has them from time to time.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

That’s where I found this one. They had one with a four digit SN and maybe even a bit nicer finish, but I missed it by that much!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I ever saw were butchered to .380 for sale to gullible Colonials. I should'a bought that spare barrel I saw advertised so I could reconvert one.

I think it is greatly unappreciated as a service pistol. Perhaps not adequate for Red Indians or Fuzzy Wuzzies but plenty for "civilized conflict."

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I think it is greatly unappreciated as a service pistol. Perhaps not adequate for Red Indians or Fuzzy Wuzzies but plenty for "civilized conflict."

Agreed. And it had a fairly widespread combat history too, for such a relatively unknown pistol. The FN 1903 and derivatives saw combat with the Russians and Ottomans during WW1, in various post-WW1 conflicts with the remnants of the Russian Empire like the Russian Civil War, Polish-Soviet War, and the various Baltic Independence wars, with the Spanish during the Spanish Civil War, and then with the Finns during WW2.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Agreed. And it had a fairly widespread combat history too, for such a relatively unknown pistol. The FN 1903 and derivatives saw combat with the Russians and Ottomans during WW1, in various post-WW1 conflicts with the remnants of the Russian Empire like the Russian Civil War, Polish-Soviet War, and the various Baltic Independence wars, with the Spanish during the Spanish Civil War, and then with the Finns during WW2.

I'm trying to figure out in my mind where this one would go in terms of Brownings designs... Do I call it his first "real" military pistol design? I know that Belgium adopted the 1899, but that's a .32, not a "full size" military cartridge (US vs European bias showing)

There's the 1902 Military in 38 ACP, but I'm not sure if they could be considered "in regular military use".

Granted, 9mm Browning Long is more like .380+P than 9mm Para, but if nothing else, it at least sounds good when you say it.

Musings like this are how my gun budget gets wiped out!

Bill R

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
I'm trying to figure out in my mind where this one would go in terms of Brownings designs... Do I call it his first "real" military pistol design?

His first "real" (in terms of the modern idea of service caliber) pistol intended for regular military use, or used at all by any military? No. That would be the M1900 and subsequent developments in .38 ACP and .45 ACP, though those only saw procurement for military testing and use in dribs and drabs - a few dozen to a few hundred at a time - over the course of the various models leading up to the M1911.

First "real" pistol actually in regular military use? Yes. Tens of thousands of FN 1903s saw service from 1907 onward, with orders being placed for thousands of them at a time for widespread issue.

quote:
There's the 1902 Military in 38 ACP, but I'm not sure if they could be considered "in regular military use".

I wouldn't. The M1902 only saw limited military use, with a few hundred going to Mexico and Chile apiece, and the US military getting a couple hundred for testing. Likewise, the US military had acquired a few hundred of the earlier Colt M1900 for testing, but it also wasn't put in regular use.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I’ve at least got an example of the 1900...

Even if not widely adopted, I have a real desire for a 1902 Military. If nothing else, it’s a great point in design development history, and probably the only early Colt of that type that I might someday afford!

Bill R

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

That’s where I found this one. They had one with a four digit SN and maybe even a bit nicer finish, but I missed it by that much!

Bill R

I window shop Simpson's a lot. Sometimes a real nice collectible will appear at a reasonable price, but beware it gets scooped up quickly.

Pricing there is all over the place, They have a Glock Gen 2? Model 27, used , priced at $850.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of those butchered for colonials- into .380acp. However, I also picked up an unmolested 9x20mm barrel for it.

Mine was from around '37- nearing the end of production.

I have only fired it once, in .380, and I think it is my softest shooting .380.

Next time I have a full day, I need to do a comparison shoot of all my .380s to be more certain.

I am Positive it is softer shooting than any of my blowback .380s, but I am not sure if it is softer than my CZ24 or Star Model S Super [rotating barrel lockup or BHP-style barrel tilt path].

Due to heavy slide and long barrel.

I can't wait to find some 9x20 and see how it compares.

I believe most 'normal' .380acp ammo is around 200 ft/lbs of ME, while the 1904 field tests that went with the FN 1903/Husqvarna 1907 put the browning long at about 265 ft/lbs.

This is almost exactly the same as the Colt/Browning .38acp [which was lengthened to make .38super], shooting 129gr at about 968fps, for 268 ft/lbs ME.

The .30luger in that test produced about 19ft/lbs less energy than the Browning Long, as the .30 Luger was moving its 93grs at about 1092fps.

From what I've read, the Luger in .30 luger was almost chosen by Sweden, except they felt it wasn't as reliable in their winters compared to the Husqvarna design.

Anyway- these are cool firearms.

I found mine on Gunbroker this past spring.

BTW- KSP makes FN 1903 wooden grips that will work on the Husqvarna 1907.

They will even make custom designs. I sent them links to pics of the Husqvarna logo on the grips and had them make me a set for mine. Not carbon-copy, but I like them better than my cracked and breaking grips.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:

I can't wait to find some 9x20 and see how

I found the Privi in stock at grafs.com. Not the fastest shipping, but I was just excited to find some available!

Bill R

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I like those old guns.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
quote:
I found the Privi in stock at grafs.com. Not the fastest shipping, but I was just excited to find some available!

Bill R

I thought so. I tried to order from them, but found they won't ship to california.

Enjoy!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Excellent photo!

I learned some great deal of info about this beautiful piece!!

Thank you!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 1999 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post