SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Glock grip angle and 1911 grip angle...same. (nearly identical)

I wouldn't say even "nearly" identical. Here's why:

1) The red line, which I assume is the line that your trigger finer follows is different. (Sloped on the Glock, versus straight on the 1911.) . I assume this is what makes the Glock feel more "revolver-like."

2) . The "Glock hump". I'm not sure if this was supposed to make it emulate the MSH of a 1911 A1, but in my hand, a 1911 A1 feels almost the same as a 1911 with the flat MSH. The "Glock Hump" makes the grip feel like it's got a load bearing diaper.

I don't have any problem with Glocks. They are excellent, simple, and reliable tools that get a job done without asking much in return. (Perhaps just being thrown in the dishwasher once in a while. Wink ) If reliability and high capacity are your priority, Glock is your gun. However, if speed and accuracy are more important, I think a 1911 has an edge.

110 = 110 is about as close as one can get to an identical angle.

It's the same grip angle.

Perception, bias, opinion, and other such things are what they are, but when someone says they dont like the grip angle on their 1911, especially in comparison to the 1911...they're the same grip angle.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've carried a 1911 in the past, and I'd be happy to carry one. I also wouldn't mind carrying my P7 PSP.

But, a key component of what I pick for carry, after its size and whether it does the job, is how I'd feel when the cops lost it.

So really, I don't want to spend a pile of money on a carry gun, and the reality is that more modern pistol designs are better suited to the task and ammunition available.

Unless they make ~$400-600 or so 1911s that'll take carry ammo and run reliably. If so, then I should go get one. Typically 1911 offerings in that range are just ball guns.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Yes. And so are revolvers. Matter of fact, you can hardly find a 1911 to buy, and if you do, there are no variations at all. God help you trying to find a compact model. Flash in the pan, that.

Interesting that you say that.
I went to my local Scheels during my lunch break today and they had a whole display cabinet that was just 1911 pistols. I just glanced through it and they had pistols from Ruger, Kimber, Springfield, S&W and SIG, among others. There must have 40 different 1911's in there, all different sizes and configurations.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello. I believe he was saying that tongue-in-cheek.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

Yeah, it's obvious now that you have pointed it out.

This is what happens when you skim through these posts at work, when you shouldn't be.. Smile

Sorry Fredward.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Ruger Redhawk. Being a revolver, it's dead, too, which is why I got such a good deal...only ight hundred plus change. Darndest thing, though, they sell out in .41 as fast as Ruger can make them. Imagine, a dead cartridge in a dead firearm selling like hotcakes...and they never show up used. Folks just cant let go of the dead, I guess.

I drooled over a dead ten thousand dollar Wilson 1911.

One of these days I'd like to get hold of a guncrafter no-name 1911' dead though it may be.

The 1911 has an allure beyond just another firearm. Is it so bad, love for the dead?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

Yeah, it's obvious now that you have pointed it out.

This is what happens when you skim through these posts at work, when you shouldn't be.. Smile

Sorry Fredward.

I've done this myself on occasion. We all have. Speed read and respond. Like you, I usually extricate my foot from my mouth gracefully. Wink

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
quote:
Glock grip angle and 1911 grip angle...same. (nearly identical)

I wouldn't say even "nearly" identical. Here's why:

1) The red line, which I assume is the line that your trigger finer follows is different. (Sloped on the Glock, versus straight on the 1911.) . I assume this is what makes the Glock feel more "revolver-like."

2) . The "Glock hump". I'm not sure if this was supposed to make it emulate the MSH of a 1911 A1, but in my hand, a 1911 A1 feels almost the same as a 1911 with the flat MSH. The "Glock Hump" makes the grip feel like it's got a load bearing diaper.

I don't have any problem with Glocks. They are excellent, simple, and reliable tools that get a job done without asking much in return. (Perhaps just being thrown in the dishwasher once in a while. Wink ) If reliability and high capacity are your priority, Glock is your gun. However, if speed and accuracy are more important, I think a 1911 has an edge.

Yes you're correct. Even though the relationship (in degrees of angle) are the same in both pistols, the "red line" area is what sets your hand hold in relationship to the angle of the bore and that's what makes them feel different.

For what it's worth, a lightweight commander was my gun of choice back in the day. Now it's a Glock 26. I still shoot Glocks and 1911s and enjoy them both.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
...they sell out in .41 as fast as Ruger can make them. Imagine, a dead cartridge in a dead firearm selling like hotcakes...and they never show up used. Folks just can't let go of the dead, I guess.

If you want to sell a pistol really quick, a Desert Eagle in .41 Mag will move in no time. Dead cartridge and firearm indeed.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post