SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Concealability and comfort are often overlooked, especially when spare mags are carried.

I have a number of double stacks and like them. Even with quality holsters and mag carriers, they are still noticeably bulkier, especially the mag carriers. I always carry two spare mags in belt carriers, regardless of capacity. I'm able to carry a G34 IWB without difficulty, but I KNOW I'm carrying. On the other hand, a single stack is hardly noticeable. Just a matter of degree.

When I want something low profile it's a single stack. Either a Cmdr size 1911 or P239 .40. For civilians, I don't consider nine rounds of .45 or .40 in the gun with two spares to be insignificant.

I also carry a BUG, folding knife and Kubotan. Awareness, tactics and proficiency are more important than round count anyway.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've started carrying a 1911 (.357 sig) recently and am pleased with it. It surprising what the right holster and belt will let you carry concealed.

I quite like the gun and am extremely comfortable carrying it. The only niggling qualm I have is magazine capacity.

...then again, I've also been carrying a Glock 42, so even less capacity there.

I also see plenty of 1911s and J-frame revolvers on the hips of the local gun store jockeys and guys at my range, so I'd say people do actually carry these guns regularly, even in our world of Wonder 9s.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
1911 is dead and outdated! It'll go away just like the Beatles. Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along with Picasso's, Rembrandt's and 1957 Chevies.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't beat the ease of carry and concealment of my Kimber Pro Carry 2, especially in summer. However as a subscriber to the "more ammo is better" philosophy in today's world my usual piece is a P320 compact with 27 total rounds of .357Sig goodness. I do love shooting the .45 though.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Yes. And so are revolvers. Matter of fact, you can hardly find a 1911 to buy, and if you do, there are no variations at all. God help you trying to find a compact model. Flash in the pan, that.

I'll respond to this as if you were serious.

There isn't a gun store in this area that doesn't have a good selection of 1911's and small revolvers like the J-Frame S&W's. There is one store here that has a windowed case with nothing but 1911's. A large number of brands and styles.

I've carried 1911's for 30+ years but I'm carrying a P938 in my pocket more often now because of my age. I still carry my Sig C3 on occasion and feel well armed with it. I'm so accustomed to manual safeties that I thumb swipe DA/SA and striker fired pistols when shooting them.

!911's and revolvers dead? I think not, for a very long time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Can't beat the ease of carry and concealment of my Kimber Pro Carry 2, especially in summer. However as a subscriber to the "more ammo is better" philosophy in today's world my usual piece is a P320 compact with 27 total rounds of .357Sig goodness. I do love shooting the .45 though.

Can't fault your choice.

However, an oft overlooked component (generally) of the "more ammo is better" philosophy is this. It's not how much ammo you have, it's what you do with what you have that matters. Hits and tactics matter. For civilians like me anyway.

With my 1911's I carry three spare mags for a total of 33 rounds. Sure, there are more reloads...but only in an extended gunfight.

Anecdote: LEO friend of mine was called as backup during an in-progess gunfight with an armed robber. First two officers had already been engaging the perp and about 100 rounds had been fired. My bud shows up. Takes cover. Fires three rounds...three solid hits. End of gunfight. He was not an average LEO in regards to gun skills. He was part of our LGC defensive shooting group.

Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
Still carry a CCO regularly except at the gym. I can shoot a any 1911 better at speed than I can any other gun with good hits and that's what is important if you ever have to shoot something.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
To add to the fray...I shoot a Glock 17/19 better than most anything. (At least as far as the full / medium size...).

My 1911's stays in the safe usually. Just not as familiar with it as I used to be. That being said, I just wanted to generate some discussion. I am looking to pull my commander out of mothballs now that my P320 is out until it's retrofitted.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought another Wilson 1911 this weekend....
So yes, it must be dead....

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mg1911:
I just bought another Wilson 1911 this weekend....
So yes, it must be dead...

You forgot to include the black crepe in the pix. Razz

posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pistols is a DW CCO. It's flat, thin, lightweight, easy to carry, easy to shoot, well made, ergonomic, right, reliable, accurate, and comfortable for long periods.

What's not to like?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I am not a fan of the 1911 at all. That said, it's not going anywhere.

That sums up how I feel about the platform as well.

You carried one in Veitnam and are trained and familiar with it? Perfect. The 1911 is your carry gun.

I still think its outdated, and I raise my eyebrows a bit when a younger guy carries one.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Oh hell. First the DA/SA is dead, again, now the 1911 and revolvers too??!!?

Guess that only leaves the plastic striker fired guns with their shitty triggers. Damn. Im gonna go get me a sharp stick instead. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Bubba....
I've been around 1911's for decades and feel comfortable with them.
HOWEVER:
1) I feel a SIG-P220 DA/SA is the "safest" gun available, and I own many of them.
2) I also feel Striker-Fired Glocks and similar are VERY dangerous for casual gun owners.

Occasionally someone will ask my opinion about what gun to buy first....
My answer is ALWAYS a SIG P225 or M11-A1 (P-228)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Oh hell. First the DA/SA is dead, again, now the 1911 and revolvers too??!!?

Guess that only leaves the plastic striker fired guns with their shitty triggers. Damn. Im gonna go get me a sharp stick instead. Regards 18DAI

Me too brother!

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I am not a fan of the 1911 at all. That said, it's not going anywhere.

That sums up how I feel about the platform as well.

You carried one in Veitnam and are trained and familiar with it? Perfect. The 1911 is your carry gun.

I still think its outdated, and I raise my eyebrows a bit when a younger guy carries one.

get your eyebrow up because i'm 39 Razz

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The hi-capacity Glock like pistol is the CCW of the present and future.

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I just reach in and grab one on the way out the door!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I do, and when I acquire a stainless commander (I have my eye on either a Colt Wiley Clapp or an Ed Brown) I will do so more often.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post