SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of Bowling pins with 1911's, I still carry one sometimes. I do not feel less than fully protected.
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will
As mentioned with revolvers, always those who prefer a 1911, although the people dedicated to the 1911 becomes less with time. Some younger shooters appreciate the platform for sure but it is predominately an old timers gun. Having said that, people over 60 can't possibly be entirely responsible for all 1911 sales.
I still carry a revolver often and also a 1911 at times.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Short answer to the OP's opening query: Hell no!

Here's my CCW "kit" although both guns wear different shoes these days and I use different means to carry spare magazines:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dead? No.

Prevalent as years past? Likely not.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
My EDCs rotate between a Springfield Armory TRP and Nighthawk T3 roughly 98% of the time, so I certainly don't think the platform is dead as a carry choice. I know many who feel the same.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 3. Two Rugers and a Sig Nitron.
Carry the Rugers from time to time.
God bless John Browning!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16068 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I've shot and carried predominantly 1911s or Glocks the last few years. Currently, I'm on more of a 1911 "wave," but I enjoy both and seem to shoot them both well.

It's hard to argue with the overall efficiency of the Glock design (and those of similar striker-fired pistols); for me, it's equally hard to discount how well the 1911 design works.

I'm admittedly not much help here ha-ha, but I think the 1911 will hang on a good bit longer.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
... in a world of polymer guns, and some of the great CCW guns like the Glock 43 or S&W Shield, is the 1911 on the way out as a carry weapon.

Last I checked, you / I, not the herd, decide what our carry weapon be. Wink

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound cliche, but I think it matters less what you carry and more how much you practice.

I've seen videos of Jerry Mitchulek shooting from a quick draw with a smith and Wesson M&P. Let me tell you, the bad guy would be dead before he ever thought about shooting back.

Shoot what you like and practice, practice, practice.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I agree with the OP's assessment. 1911's/revolvers are dead(as subjective as the word may be) as priamry CCW pieces. Clearly some still carry them but I would say its 10% or less these days. Purely a guess. Perhaps a poll is in order.

People still own and shoot them but for carry, I think its run its course.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
They're dead? Aw, hell! I didn't get the memo. It's important to keep up with the current pop culture. I feel so out of it. Communication needs to improve immediately! Razz

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just imagine if it was a 1911 in .40 cal!

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
... in a world of polymer guns, and some of the great CCW guns like the Glock 43 or S&W Shield, is the 1911 on the way out as a carry weapon.

Last I checked, you / I, not the herd, decide what our carry weapon be. Wink

Don't forget your nebulous 'mood', how you are feeling today, etc - which is even MORE important in CCW selection.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Is this meant to be a troll post? I'm not sure.

There are dozens of offerings for carry-friendly 1911s from Commanders, to aluminum bobtails, to 1911-like things like the EMP and Colt Mustang derivatives. The 9mm 1911 explosion in the last few years has helped fuel that. An eBay search for "1911 IWB" results in over 100,000 items for sale.

But all this is obvious, so why ask?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
I still haven't found anything I shoot as well as my 1911 lightweight commander, so until I do, it stays in my holster. I wish it held a few more rounds, and I wish it weighed a few ounces less than it does, but I know I can use it to hit what I aim at.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I mainly carry my G-19 but the Colt Commander still gets its time in the holster. Summer time can also see the Colt Detective Special.

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead? No... they are like the Cadillac of the gun world. Just like Cadillacs, they are antiquated and only used by the elderly. Smile

I kid, I kid.

That said, I think for a "carry" gun, there are many better options out there. Guns that are easier to maintain, with a simpler manual of arms while being lighter, cheaper, more capacity etc.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

Every so often, a post will pop up that will ask "Is the DA/SA dead", or "Is the revolver dead". This is the 1911 version of that. And in those threads people post their opinion of things, and generally how they view and perceive the particular gun as what it holds in the market place.

Won't speak for the OP, but I don't think it is trolling.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

Every so often, a post will pop up that will ask "Is the DA/SA dead", or "Is the revolver dead". This is the 1911 version of that. And in those threads people post their opinion of things, and generally how they view and perceive the particular gun as what it holds in the market place.

Won't speak for the OP, but I don't think it is trolling.

Fair enough. I'll occasionally even carry my full-size, all-steel 1911 because there are days I miss lower back pain from having 50 oz. hanging off my side. So at least one of us is keeping the flame burning Big Grin

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's a well know fact that dinosaurs carried the 1911, and all were killed in a confrontation by sloth with a polymer pistol.

So, yeah. It's dead, Jim.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post