SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 1911 Dead as a CCW/Carry Weapon? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
In full disclosure, I do love the 1911 platform. I own a couple, and love shooting them.

However, in a world of polymer guns, and some of the great CCW guns like the Glock 43 or S&W Shield, is the 1911 on the way out as a carry weapon.

In addition, with all the newer polymer handguns, does anyone still pull their 1911 out as a combat / carry weapon.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People still carry revolvers, I doubt it will go away any time soon

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. And so are revolvers. Matter of fact, you can hardly find a 1911 to buy, and if you do, there are no variations at all. God help you trying to find a compact model. Flash in the pan, that.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.
I'll carry any 1911 around, as long as it is a 10mm. Besides, the .17 is great for plinking but only works to clean out the perp's sinuses...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The Glock 19 beat out my 1911. I tried a lot of other carry guns but always went back to the 1911 until I bought my first Glock. I think I am going on 6 years and almost never leave the house without a Glock something.

Still I have a hard time thinking the 1911 is dead. It was here before me and will probably be on peoples nightstands long after me. 7-9 rounds of .45ACP in a single stack SAO with what is usually a pretty good trigger makes for a pretty good package that I think a lot of people will continue to rely on for personal defense for a very long time. If I had to bug out for any reason my Glock 19 is going on my hip but a 1911 will probably be sitting in my console next to me as I drive. I'd bet my life on mine without hesitation.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So are DA/SA guns didn't you read the newsletter? Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. When I want something with a bit more authority than a 9mm I will slip a 1911 CMD into my IWB holster loaded with Speer Gold Dots. BTW, I walk every day with the dog and do some jogging on my own and at least 1/2 the dogs chained/fenced up in the yards in my area are Pits, Rots, and one Hyper aggressive 150 lbs Akita mix. Any day I think I'll take a walk on the street with that Akita mix I have my 45 with me and a spare 8 round magazine on my belt. I also use the opposite side of the street in the event he ever does make over that fence so I have a bit of a warning zone.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Lol no, it's not even close to dead.

I still carry a 1911 and I'm not an old timer or anything like that. It's still thinner than the polymer fatties being put out today.

For me, nothing feels as good or shoots as good as a 1911.

Guns like the Springfield EMP and alloy Officer frames are great too. The new Wilson EDC X9 could be a whole new level, time will tell.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a commander but got tired of the weight and having to manipulate the safety. I carry a Shield now and it's hard to beat. Light, easy to shoot, 6+1 capacity.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I know a bunch of guys that still carry 1911s. And they like them a lot.

Interestingly in the same vein, someone was recently telling me that the NRA had a hubbub over banning 1911s in their Carry Guard classes. Apparently, they reversed their ban and are allowing them again.

Either the 1911 crowd has a strong Union Rep, or there are a few of them floating around out there as carry guns.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I agree with dunbar.
My Kimber Ultra is my EDC and I have found nothing I like better

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many actually get carried and shot extensively as a CCW or are stuck in a sock drawer with a box of ammo that has 42 rounds left. I know they enjoy strong sales. Now, having said that, I am 0 for 3 with them as the ones I have owned were little better than single-shots (even a SIG), and have no near-term plans to buy another one. The only one that even mildly intrigues me is the Ruger.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. But the perp that goes up against one might be.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I love mine...just don't carry them much...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I only finally gave up a CCO as my EDC because I moved to the mountains and wanted to move to 10mm. If I was still a city or suburb dweller I'd still be carrying nothing but.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Want to talk about dead? Next week I'm considering starting to carry my Bren ten in .45!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead? Hardly.

Popular with strong sales? Yes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Handguns are very personal in nature and like a mechanics tools, fit a specific use & purpose. I was given some advice long ago, carry what you shoot best. Some would say the 1911 is obsolete due to its capacity to weight ratio. Its a proven design and most of its limits understood. Its an easy pistol to shoot accurately & everyone knows the merits of its caliber. Carried in the right rig, its a formidable carry.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the 1911 at all. That said, it's not going anywhere.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I would consider the EMP 4" bobtail if I didn't have such a time me learning thumb safety from a quick draw. It's nothing to 1911 guys though. My terrible thumb dexterity rules out 1911s for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post