SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How do you guys feel about extended mag buttons for carry/duty ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you guys feel about extended mag buttons for carry/duty ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
How do you guys feel about extended mag buttons for carry/duty ? My thumbs are very short, and I can't hardly mash any mag button without breaking my grip. I'd like to stop breaking my grip if I could. But, does this substantially increase the risk of an accidental mag dump in an emergency ? Generally speaking of course.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I mentioned in your holster thread, I think the design and how you interface with it is going to be more important.

Personally, I never had a problem doing a quick, subtle flip to hit the standard magazine catch. However, when I had a Gen 3 Glock 23 I used the Vickers extended mag catch. I liked it. It wasn't as long as the Glock factory extended catch, and had "softened" edges (not sharp). I still had to flip the gun a bit, but less than with the regular catch. I never had an unintentional mag drop and, most importantly, I didn't have any issues with my holster hitting the catch.

You may just have to try it for yourself and see if it helps or hinders.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Vickers extended mag releases have worked for me on Gen3 & Gen4 Glocks for years. Never an issue with unintended release of mags.

Aside from Glocks, I've not found an extended release for Sigs, Berettas, etc., etc. that I was comfortable with in a carry scenario.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
Answer depends on the pistol.

And then choose a holster that cannot depress the extended button.

Vickers Glock mag release is completely good to go.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: highlander81,

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I make my guns fit ME. I grind, tape, extend or do what ever it takes. I don't sell my guns so I don't care what they look like.
I have extended mag releases on all my semi's, on some I even build that up with JB weld to the proper height and feel.
I have never experienced a problem and I carry both concealed and open every day, open for the last 26+ years.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
Vickers extended mag releases have worked for me on Gen3 & Gen4 Glocks for years. Never an issue with unintended release of mags.

Aside from Glocks, I've not found an extended release for Sigs, Berettas, etc., etc. that I was comfortable with in a carry scenario.

My thoughts exactly, on both points.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Use your weak hand thumb to drop the mag. End of issue.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
It could work for you.
Try it out. If you find the mage release being activated while in the holster, try a different holster. My drivers seat has bolsters that like to squeeze the gun into my side. The wrong mag release/holster combo can depress the release as soon as I sit down.
Experiment and remember how critical 100% reliability is in a carry gun.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Extended controls on carry weapons seem like a bad idea. I've got 'em on my G34, and they're pretty damn prominent. My P229S has them, except, ironically, the mag release. My buddy replaced it with a standard mag release because he found he didn't need the extended release. More irony: I think I could use it, and I've the bigger hands of the two of us. Go figure. So, once I pick that bit up from him, I'll be installing it. But, like the G34: I've no plans to carry the P229S. I don't even necessarily plan to buy a holster for it.

Accidental activation is only one concern. The other would be snagging.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate them. Twice my mag fell out when I got out of my vehicle. That's two too many times.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've never accidentally lost a magazine with any size mag release, standard, extended or giant over sized race types with a decent holster. Only with sitting on pocket guns in my back pocket.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It depends on your 'system', ie the weapon and the holster.

As long as you never had an accidental magazine release, you are good.

However, if there is a question in your mind, ask yourself this.

What is the more important issue in a SD shooting situation? The first magazines worth of rounds in the weapon, or the 0.5 second faster reload for your second magazine?

When it doubt, ensure your magazine stays in the weapon.

The only 2 times I've lost a magazine was due to a poor holster design (tight kydex resting on the magazine button) and rear pocket carry of my LCP w/ sitting for extended periods.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are right handed (and vice versa if left handed) and your gun is set up for it, reverse your mag release so you can push it with your trigger finger. It can work, but only if you practice enough for it to become habit. Cures the short thumb problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I don't like the idea, personally. I've seen extended mag releases activated on the draw by a holster designed for a standard length release. That was a kydex belt holster being used for competition. The act of rapidly grabbing the gun on the draw twisted the release into the holster lip. He repeatedly got one shot, then a click. He has since modified the holster.

In a carry situation where the gun and holster will be flexed against the body from sitting, bending, riding in a car, etc, accidentally releasing the mag would be my biggest concern.

With practice, you can become proficient flipping the gun in your hand to reach the release, and flipping it back before the new mag is ready to be inserted.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Use your weak hand thumb to drop the mag. End of issue.

Bob

Not a good habit in a handgun, one of the chief attributes is the ability to shoot one-handed. Better idea: train to proficiency to be able to operate all controls on the pistol with the shooting hand.

I use Vickers releases on most of my Glocks, as they ate rounded and more comfortable and protrude onlu marginally farther, on the Gen 3 pistols. I have a few Glocks in which I've simply sanded the factory extended release. No sharp corners, works well, doesnt inadvertently release the magazine for any of my carry.

I dont care for oversize or extended mag buttons or levers on anything else.

If there is any chance of inadvertent release, them it's a bad idea.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If you are right handed (and vice versa if left handed) and your gun is set up for it, reverse your mag release so you can push it with your trigger finger. It can work, but only if you practice enough for it to become habit. Cures the short thumb problem.

This is how I do it. As a lefty I leave all my guns configured the (righty) way they came. It really doesn't take much getting used to, IMO.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, no. The theoretical benefit, given that reloading in a gunfight is a rare event, does not outweigh the certain increased risk of not having a mag in your gun if it happens.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bruce. That's pretty settled when you put it that way.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one on my Gen3 G22 duty gun. It was a Glock extended mag release. Which is a mag release for a 45 or 10mm Glock. Never had an issue at all and didn't have to shift the gun in my hand to punch the mag release after the change.

Had to get used to the shooting part with it in at first. First shot I though something bit me in the meaty part of my support hand/thumb area. After a couple mags I got used to it and didn't notice any more. Never got pushed in by accident.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
How do you guys feel about extended mag buttons for carry/duty ? My thumbs are very short, and I can't hardly mash any mag button without breaking my grip. I'd like to stop breaking my grip if I could. But, does this substantially increase the risk of an accidental mag dump in an emergency ? Generally speaking of course.

I have the same problem shorter thumb but also an injury making it very hard to operate. Have a P-228 I changed magazine release from left side to right. I found I'm able to release magazine with my trigger finger without breaking grip or I can reach around with support hand and do the same. With a lot of practice I got the muscle memory going. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post