SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Striker-fired pistols are great, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker-fired pistols are great, but... Login/Join 
Picture of RoverSig
posted
Some us prefer hammer-fired, traditional DA/SA pistols. Like my P239.

My question is: how hard would it be for Sig to re-engineer the DAO P250 into a traditional DA/SA pistol? Could the P250 trigger module/chassis be changed internally to do this? Added: I'm thinking of it as a 9mm, but it could also be sold in other calibers.

Here would be the perfect pistol to more or less parallel the P320 family (using the same grip frame options and, potentially, the same magazines) and sell for same price. It would involve a minimal investment in manufacturing capability by Sig...

Call it the P235. It would reach a wider market than the upscale P225 and even the P239 (a wonderful pistol which gets criticized for being too big for its ammo capacity). It might eat into SP2022 sales, but... that's a platform we've been hearing for years will leave the lineup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RoverSig,

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter and one of my sons went to the indoor last night to help her select a first handgun. My son had his 239, I had my SP2022 and we rented two guns for my daughter to try out; A S&W Shield and a Ruger LC9S.

She shot all four guns and she now wants a DA semi. She does not care if it is a small gun or larger semi but she prefers the action of the DA/SA.

Anyway, I know it's not a direct response to your inquiry but it goes to show, the DA/SA auto is still preferred by some young shooters; my son and daughter as a case-in-point.

Regarding the re engineering of the 250; I owned a 250 and really liked the DAO option and think there is still a place for it. Can SIG design a DA/SA in a modular set-up is a question for someone who understands the limitations of the firing control module.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like tomorrow you will have a new option, looks like Springfield will release a sa/da gun

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If they could also add a hammer, that would be cool.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
Springer XDe's comes with a hammer, a safety/decocker and from what I've gathered so far it is a DA/SA in a slim profile package. It looks interesting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sig would contend they have already done this, its called the SP2022
quote:
how hard would it be for Sig to re-engineer the DAO P250 into a traditional DA/SA pistol?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Technically wouldn't the more likely approach be to have what amounts to a DA/SA P290?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Rifmon, you should add to your Sigpro collection and get cobra's in the classifieds.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
SP2022 wonderful but too big. P290 nice enough but too small.

Springfield XDe about the right size. Technically, in Sig-Sauer terms, something that moves around between carry-to-compact size. But if it were modular, it could also be full-size, given the right (P250/P320) grip frame.

I just prefer traditional DA/SA, for a host of reasons -- and think Sig-Sauer could make one out of the P250 modular design, with little risk and potentially great results.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350zee:
Springer XDe's comes with a hammer, a safety/decocker and from what I've gathered so far it is a DA/SA in a slim profile package. It looks interesting.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-features

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Rifmon, you should add to your Sigpro collection and get cobra's in the classifieds.

I don't need another 2022 but if I were in the market I'd go for that model 27!!!

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a 320 rx but I agree with this. If it was da/sa and could have the same manual of arms as a usp v1 it would be the perfect gun.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
SIG is not going to make a hammer-fired version of the P250. That would make it a totally different gun. The P250 is striker-fired.

Maybe SIG will make a modular hammer-fired gun. Who knows?

In the meantime, you'll have to be happy with a 226, or one of the old classics. They are still fine choices.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XDe has my attention.

Something DA/SA 9mm the size of the P938 and I will buy two.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
SIG is not going to make a hammer-fired version of the P250. That would make it a totally different gun. The P250 is striker-fired.

In the meantime, you'll have to be happy with a 226, or one of the old classics. They are still fine choices.

The old classics are great; I like my P239, with its DA/SA operation. It is not an OLD classic, but still a classic. The biggest complaints about the P239 revolve around its low ammo capacity (8+1) in comparison with its relative weight (which, however, makes it a pleasure to shoot).

The P250 is hammer fired -- its just a DAO hammer. Like my S&W 3953, the hammer is visible but does not stick out from the back of the slide so that it can be operated by thumb - which wouldn't work anyway, since it cannot be fired SA! These DAO guns were built as sort-of rivals for striker-fired guns, trying to emulate that "every trigger press is the same" benefit to consistency that striker-fired pistols convey.

I'm just saying the Sig could use that slide and the framework of the P250 module to build a DA/SA gun -- I don't know how a decocker could be made to work with it, in that frame -- but it would be a nice gun, and not involve a huge manufacturing investment (same frame, same slide, etc., as an existing gun).

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stranger things have happened. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post