SIGforum
What is the worst, most useless, dumb thing you have ever stuck on a gun.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3540056654

May 12, 2019, 06:28 PM
DSgrouse
What is the worst, most useless, dumb thing you have ever stuck on a gun.
I am sure most of us have thought, "that looks good, I will try it."

When CT changed the laws banning threaded barrels on pistols. I had a 228,(2) 226's, and a 220. I had a p226 conversion and P220 conversion. The state could not tell me how many if any guns I would have had to register. 2 guns, 5 guns, 6 guns. I thought this is dumb. SO, I had a good friend put this little gem together in protest. It is threaded 1/2x28. It is also 1/2x28 threaded for a flash hider or can. My old AAC pilot fit right under. I am hoping my new mask does also.

May 12, 2019, 06:44 PM
.38supersig
As a plus, if anyone broke into your house and you stabbed them with this, you wouldn't have to worry about second shot placement. Also should help with the recoil.

Can't say that any of these seemed like a dumb idea at the time.

RMR on a Glock?
Thermal imager on a EBR?
Slo-Mo camera on a Desert Eagle?
Laser on an NAA 17mach2 revolver?
Guide rod laser in a 7.65mm P220?
Night scope for a Calico?

Got to have a little fun every now and then. Big Grin

May 12, 2019, 06:58 PM
FenderBender
"Classic" J-frame grips.

I know it hurts to shoot but I like how they look.
May 12, 2019, 07:15 PM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
"Classic" J-frame grips.

I know it hurts to shoot but I like how they look.

Ha, tell me about it. I put 3 finger grips on mine.
May 12, 2019, 07:48 PM
Laser grips.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
May 12, 2019, 07:50 PM
dry-fly
When lasers were first coming on the scene, I had one...about the size of a shoebox. I mounted it to a POS shotgun I had.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
May 12, 2019, 07:54 PM
gearhounds
A Colt barrel bushing with integral flash hider slots that didn’t hide the flash on a series 70 Commander.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
May 12, 2019, 08:06 PM
cslinger
Ummm you win.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
May 12, 2019, 08:37 PM
henryarnaud
Anyone remember the Hartts recoil reducer? It was a hollow stainless steel recoil spring guide rod filled with mercury and ball bearings, the idea being that the inertia of the rod's contents would minimize felt recoil.

I had one. On a Beretta 92FS. A recoil reducer. On a Beretta 92FS 9mm.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 12, 2019, 09:07 PM
Chuck Perry
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Anyone remember the Hartts recoil reducer? It was a hollow stainless steel recoil spring guide rod filled with mercury and ball bearings, the idea being that the inertia of the rod's contents would minimize felt recoil.

I had one. On a Beretta 92FS. A recoil reducer. On a Beretta 92FS 9mm.

I had one of those in a S&W 1066 10MM. Can't say if it really made a difference, but I thought it was cool at the time Cool
May 12, 2019, 09:15 PM
radioman
I had one of those "Clip Grips" such that you don't need a holster, since there's this clip on the gun so you go IWB without a holster. I prefer covered trigger guards for safety, so wasn't for me. In fact, I was afraid of using the thing. I used it for one trip to Safeway and that's it.

Oh joy, there's something similar for a Glock...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
May 12, 2019, 10:16 PM
jljones
I mounted a mossberg 500 under an AR barrel in the early 90s. I attached it using hose clamps.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

May 12, 2019, 10:17 PM
Nick
I put a set of adjustable Millet target sights on a 92F. They were a huge orange monstrosity that blended with the slide like the space shuttle on a 747. It looked good in my Uncle Mikes horizontal shoulder holster. That set up would print under hockey goalie pads.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"
May 12, 2019, 10:26 PM
Nismo
I put one of those cheap clamp on barrel shroud heat shields on my Remington 870.
I was new to guns, and it looked cool at the time, but after a few rounds of slugs, it came loose, and I took it off and threw it in the parts bin.
May 13, 2019, 02:02 AM
YooperSigs
Guttersnipe sight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
May 13, 2019, 04:08 AM
Micropterus
quote:
What is the worst, most useless, dumb thing you have ever stuck on a gun?

On an AR, most quad-rails.

May 13, 2019, 05:08 AM
MPrimo
A vertical fore-grip on an AR ... for strafing???

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!
May 13, 2019, 07:20 AM
Jman78
Hellfire trigger system on my 10/22.

This was in the mid 1990's.

Never worked as promised. Frown
May 13, 2019, 09:17 AM
sigarms229
Laser grips

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six
May 13, 2019, 09:19 AM
squad13
Only on my training aid for kicks but this damn thing