SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lone Wolf now offering 9mm Makarov conversion barrels for LC380 and G42
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lone Wolf now offering 9mm Makarov conversion barrels for LC380 and G42 Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Saw an interesting blurb stating that Lone Wolf has started offering conversion barrels to convert the Ruger LC380 and Glock 42 from .380 ACP (9x17) to 9mm Makarov (9x18).

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=922306

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/D...OD=919996&TERM=aw-42

Though I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, unless you happen to be sitting on a big stockpile of surplus Makarov ammo. The two calibers are nearly identical in performance, and while 9mm Makarov ammo is potentially slightly cheaper, there are more options for .380 ammo - especially in defensive ammo.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The G42 barrel has been available for a while now. Frankly it's the only reason why I have any interest at all in picking up a G42. If nothing else that combo gives my CZ 82 a companion.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like the wrong direction, with all the good loads out there for .380, I'd rather convert Mak to that.

Is there cheap Mak practice ammo?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the Makarov caliber.
If the Mal barrel will fit my LCP 2, then I will be interested.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Well, out of luck, Makarov conversion barrels are for the LC9/380 frame pistols, not my LCP .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The 9x18 beats the 9x17 ballistically. And yes there are lots of defense loads available for the 380, but the only ones that have enough penetration with expansion are any of the three or four brands that load the XTP bullet. So for both cartridges, the only defense loads that are worth their salt are the brands that shoot the XTP bullet. And both Hornady and Fiocchi load the XTP bullet in the Mak. So the Mak wins anyway you look at it. I love both cartridges, but I'd prefer the Mak over the 9mm Browning for carry duty. But for ball ammo take your pick, they both drill holes.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
The 9x18 beats the 9x17 ballistically.

Marginally, and only in some loadings. Conversely, some 9x17 loads beat 9x18, also marginally. And sometimes performance is identical.

Example 1:
The specific Hornady Critical Defense FTX loads you mentioned give a very slight (~5%) edge to 9mm Mak:

9x18/9mm Mak FTX = 95 grain bullet at 1000 fps with 211 ft/lbs of force.

9x17/.380 FTX = 90 grain bullet at 1000 fps with 200 ft/lbs of force.

Example 2:
However, if we compare defensive ammo with the same bullet weights, like Buffalo Bore's .380 +P JHP and their comparable 9mm Makarov +P JHP load, the results are identical:

Both calibers have 95 grain bullet at 1125 fps with 267 ft/lbs of force.

Example 3:
And some companies' .380 loads slightly outperform their 9mm Mak loads, due to higher velocity. Like Underwood's +P XTP loadings:

9x18/9mm Mak +P FTX = 95 grain bullet at 1150 fps with 279 ft/lbs of force.

9x17/.380 +P FTX = 90 grain bullet at 1200 fps with 288 ft/lbs of force.

So ballistically, it's a wash. Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
The 9x18 beats the 9x17 ballistically.

Marginally, and only in some loadings. Conversely, some 9x17 loads beat 9x18, also marginally. And sometimes performance is identical.

Example 1:
The specific Hornady Critical Defense FTX loads you mentioned give a very slight (~5%) edge to 9mm Mak:

9x18/9mm Mak FTX = 95 grain bullet at 1000 fps with 211 ft/lbs of force.

9x17/.380 FTX = 90 grain bullet at 1000 fps with 200 ft/lbs of force.

Example 2:
However, if we compare defensive ammo with the same bullet weights, like Buffalo Bore's .380 +P JHP and their comparable 9mm Makarov +P JHP load, the results are identical:

Both calibers have 95 grain bullet at 1125 fps with 267 ft/lbs of force.

Example 3:
And some companies' .380 loads slightly outperform their 9mm Mak loads, due to higher velocity. Like Underwood's +P XTP loadings:

9x18/9mm Mak +P FTX = 95 grain bullet at 1150 fps with 279 ft/lbs of force.

9x17/.380 +P FTX = 90 grain bullet at 1200 fps with 288 ft/lbs of force.

So ballistically, it's a wash. Wink

Those figures are irrelevant, as I said, the only viable bullet in those cartridges is the XTP bullet. All others fail to penetrate IF they expand at all. There's just not enough power to penetrate for an otherwise nicely mushroomed boolit. This is why the XTP is the only reliable SD projectile in these two cartridges - it's tough, and it doesn't mushroom as much as all the other SD rounds, which ALL fail to penetrate to FBI standards. So, the math is meaningless if it fails to penetrate. I would make an exception for the old Keith style lead cavity projectiles that I believe BB offers, iirc those guys do penetrate.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ok. If penetration is your sole deciding factor in what makes it "better", then I still fail to see how 9mm Makarov beats .380.

Compare ScubaOz's testing of your Hornady XTP loads in .380 and 9mm Mak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15fRBdo-38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whURQiqm8aQ

The 9mm Mak penetrated 12.75", while the .380 penetrated 16.5". And that's even with the 9mm Makarov having extra velocity, due to the test handgun (CZ 82) having a 1" longer barrel than the .380 test pistol (P238).

Granted, that's just one set of data. But the point is that I'm not seeing how 9mm Makarov is supposedly "better" than .380, even with that specific Hornady XTP bullet you keep referencing, and even if we just look at penetration.

Please help me understand why you insist 9x18 beats 9x17 ballistically...

posted Hide Post
It’s nice to have options. I’m saving my funny money to get one for the Glock 42. Don’t plan on shooting anyone with either caliber. Even going to get a set of dies this year. I like LWD barrels but I don’t see them making a bazillion bucks off this idea ...

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My sentiments exactly. As a .380 I have virtually no interest in the G42. I already have plenty of 380s that I don't bother to shoot, some them quite capable and actually enjoyable to run at the range. But as a 'Mak spitter' I'm more intrigued since I been playing with the 9x18 caliber lately. It may not really offer any tangible ballistic benefits over 9mm Short, but it's different enough as an experience and as a knockabout thing to "play" with for a while that's where the LWD barrel offering holds my attention.

Plus I really like my CZ 82, more than most within my cadre of .380s.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post