SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PPK coming back?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPK coming back? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Walther announced in October of last year that they have started manufacturing the PPK again and that they would start shipping in December. Well, here it is January and still no PPK, although it does look like they intend to start shipping later this month.

It remains to be seen what their quality will be like. Current photos look good, but at the price range they are suggesting, not that encourageing.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Walther USA in Fort Smith AR has been saying they would realease in for 3 years now. Was going to be Dec 2018 now saying 2019. Slide made in Germany frame made in Fort Smith. Sights now milled into the slide. MSRP $699 I believe

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
The time for the PPK is long past. Truthfully they are not that good IMHO.

Sign P238 is much better.

YMMV

I find my ppk and ppk/s much more accurate than my P238.

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a 1964 West German blued, 1964 PPK that runs flawlessly. But it doesn't see daylight all that much. There are far better carry and range options today. And yet ... if they were to offer it up in a full bore 9 ... not that "Kurz-crap", I'd be all over it. Granted, I don't know why.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I have a 1964 West German blued, 1964 PPK that runs flawlessly. But it doesn't see daylight all that much. There are far better carry and range options today. And yet ... if they were to offer it up in a full bore 9 ... not that "Kurz-crap", I'd be all over it. Granted, I don't know why.

9mm parabellum won't work in a blowback gun that size. The slide would need to be UGE like a Hi-Point

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Here's a current article from The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Per the article, MSRP is $749. The Walther website lists PPK & PPK/s models - available in "black" or stainless steel. The only caliber offered is .380 auto.

https://www.arkansasonline.com...et-to-ship-20190113/

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walther had some on display in their booth at a distributor show recently. I played with them a bit. They are quite nice. I'd compare them to the German/French made ones. Definitely better than the S&W ones. I'd rank it as good or better than the Interarms (which I own). But it was a small sample size and time will tell.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also heard no mim parts in the new ones as used in the S&W versions

posted Hide Post
I would be interested in a PPK in 32 auto to go with my Interarms SS PPK/s in 380. My gun was a gift from a dear friend, and has never missed a beat in decades.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a 32 acp but they are only making 380.

Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
I handled the new Fort Smith PPK at the SHOT Show a few years ago. The stainless looks great, the "black" is certainly not blue and I was not impressed. The most interesting change was to the rear sight. Instead of a drift adjustable rear sight mounted in a dovetail, the rear sight is machined as part of the slide like the pre-WWII Walther PPK pistols.

I've always liked the Walther and have several. Pre-WWII Zella-Mehlis, post-WWII Ulm/Do, stainless Interarms, plus some others.

The story goes that Walther wanted to make the slides in Germany and import them here to match up with PPK frames (the PPK is too small per the Gun Control Act of 1968 to import, but it can be made here in the US). Interestingly, it was Germany that wouldn't let Walther export them. Looks like Walther finally gave up or Germany is letting them import them, I'm not sure which.

There is a strong desire for newly made Walther PPK pistols. If I wanted one so badly, I'd ante up and buy an original German PPK (either pre- or post- WWII) that will only go up in value. Of course, I already have what I want/need.

But many newer shooters only want new guns covered by a warranty. I get that. I think Walther will sell a whole bunch of these.

These are mine:

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I love the feel and design of the PPK/s. Owned several, both in 7.62 and .380. The experience was very consistent:
Bang. Bang. Jam.
I will try again if someone can make one that works.

This design predated the development of reliable, expanding ammunition and really was intended for FMJ bullets only. I've had this '90's series PPKs for some time and it functions quite well using the Lehigh Defense 90 grain " Xtreme Penetrator" solid copper bullets. You may want to give that a try.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If they'd make one black in .32ACP, they'd have a customer. My Dad has always wanted that gun.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of who makes it, or where it is made, I'm sure it won't work right.....In over 40 years owning and struggling with many PPK/S's, I never had one that was reliable regardless of the ammo (FMJ). I'll save my money and aggravation and forgo this albatross.....Walther should just quit while everyone forgot the trouble these caused.....

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
Regardless of who makes it, or where it is made, I'm sure it won't work right.....In over 40 years owning and struggling with many PPK/S's, I never had one that was reliable regardless of the ammo (FMJ). I'll save my money and aggravation and forgo this albatross.....Walther should just quit while everyone forgot the trouble these caused.....

Funny I have 3, west German, Interarms, and S&W and they all go bang every time. Maybe you limp wrist them

posted Hide Post
I had a West German PPK/S .380 that would feed FMJ but jam on HP. I could not get reliable feeding on HP, so I sold it.

I would pick a East German 9X18 Makarov over the new PPK or PPK/S. I own a 1960 E. German Suhl build that will eat anything in 9x18 Makarov.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a stainless .32 today but I have no interest at all in a .380.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Soaring Hawk
posted Hide Post
I have a strong inclination that the 'new' PPK/S will be a major disappointment. There are so many good examples of REAL PP series pistols on the secondary market at varying conditions and price points. The Fort Smith example appears to be a continuation of the junk clone that S&W used to churn out.

Posts: 1180 | Registered: March 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickjz:
I have a strong inclination that the 'new' PPK/S will be a major disappointment. There are so many good examples of REAL PP series pistols on the secondary market at varying conditions and price points. The Fort Smith example appears to be a continuation of the junk clone that S&W used to churn out.

Well if the slide is made in Germany and they took out the Mim parts how is that a continuation of junk? All speculation at this point.

Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with my P230's and P232's. My brother in law had a Walter and he may of had 20 rounds down the pipe. Problems from the start. It was back at Walther more than in his hands. He got rid of it and got a Shield.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post