SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How harmful is lint in a barrel?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How harmful is lint in a barrel? Login/Join 
posted
I've been pocket carrying my LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis and I've noticed small amounts of lint at the crown. Could this cause a problem when firing? Is there a way to prevent the lint?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say not at all, especially in a gun meant to be shot at bad breath distance. I have pocket carried an LCP as an off-duty backup for years (10?) and never had a problem. A few times a year, I'll pull it out and clean it. There's usually lint everywhere. When I shoot it, I start out shooting it "cold" as it was carried in the pocket, and usually with quite a bit of lint.

So no issue that I have seen with reliability, and I can't imagine it causing damage.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
nada

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The only thing you need to worry about with lint is it getting gummed up in the rails or hammer and even that would be lots of lint.

If you have enough lint to clog a barrel enough to cause an issue there might be a hygiene issue at play. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Gasses escaping past the bullet will blow it away or burn it away.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't think you'd be able to get lint in your gun if you carry in a pocket holster. I've never noticed any in mine (Mika holster). That is, after all, one of the reasons for doing it. Does the holster have a closed bottom? That would let pocket debris in. Is it fabric? Is it possible little fibers are coming off it?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I wouldn't think you'd be able to get lint in your gun if you carry in a pocket holster. I've never noticed any in mine (Mika holster). That is, after all, one of the reasons for doing it. Does the holster have a closed bottom? That would let pocket debris in. Is it fabric? Is it possible little fibers are coming off it?

Open bottom:

http://www.desantisholster.com/THE-NEMESIS

But the MagPacker has closed bottom:

http://www.desantisholster.com/MAG-PACKER

Thanks for the reassuring replies, I'll keep on carrying.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
OK, I misstated my post, I should have said "does it have an open bottom." An open bottom is fine in a belt holster as it lets debris fall out and there is nothing below it to trap it, but with a pocket holster, any lint in the pocket itself could work its way in. I don't think this holster is designed very well.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
It will all blow off the gun on the first shot. Try it yourself, wait until the gun is covered with lint and shoot it at the range using your defensive ammo.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
It could cause a nasty infection in the bullet wound that you inflict on the bad guy.
Your choice Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t shoot a gun with visible lint in the barrel just for practice because of the possibility of something else like hard grit that could cause scratching being there as well. I’ve seen accounts of “torture” testing that involved firing handguns that had been immersed in soupy mud, so if that didn’t do anything significant, I wouldn’t worry about lint or grit in a defensive situation. Any damage to the bore would be the least of my worries.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
go to a weapons inspection in a detective bureau some time. You could knit sweaters from the lint in those barrels.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm obviously a 'lint attractive person' because any carry gun I own is shortly covered in it. I always shoot my carry gun 'as is' when swapping ammo and after a single round you can't find any of it.
Its truly a non issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack your thread. But. I have carried owb for 30 years. I just can't stand owb. And every gun I have ever carried was a lint magnet. Usually every 2 weeks I delint whatever gun I happen to be carrying. Presently it's a H&k P30 9mm lem. And it's the most lint attracting gun I have ever carried.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not to overlook a medical issue: lint attracts dust mites. Dust mite allergy is an extremely common ailment. While not generally serious, symptoms can be quite aggravating and may include:

• Sneezing
  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, red or watery eyes
  • Stuffy nose
  • Itchy nose, mouth or throat
  • Postnasal drip (a flow of mucus from behind your nose into your throat)
  • Cough

Folks with asthma should also be aware that their condition may be triggered by an allergic reaction to dust mites.

Is it so much to ask that you take a quick swab of your bore before taking that first shot?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Not to overlook a medical issue: lint attracts dust mites. Dust mite allergy is an extremely common ailment. While not generally serious, symptoms can be quite aggravating and may include:

• Sneezing
  • Runny nose
  • Itchy, red or watery eyes
  • Stuffy nose
  • Itchy nose, mouth or throat
  • Postnasal drip (a flow of mucus from behind your nose into your throat)
  • Cough
Folks with asthma should also be aware that their condition may be triggered by an allergic reaction to dust mites.

Is it so much to ask that you take a quick swab of your bore before taking that first shot?
Yup. If you have to shoot somebody, you definitely do not want to give them allergies! Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Not at all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It will just enhance the muzzle flash...no biggie!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I've been pocket carrying my LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis and I've noticed small amounts of lint at the crown. Could this cause a problem when firing? Is there a way to prevent the lint?

You could have someone weld a cap over the end of the barrel. Smile I wouldn't worry about the lint, but I do make an effort to clean my pocket guns ever so often just to remove excess lint, dust, etc.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always put a condom over the muzzle as some soldiers did with the M-16's in Viet Nam...IF it bothers you that much.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post