SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 or Shield 2.0?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 or Shield 2.0? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
G43 with Talo sights. You can buy it that way. Don’t use +P in the G43. Use Federal HST 150gr. HP.
Why don't use +P in G43?

You can if like. I prefer the 150gr. HP HST. For me, they are more controllable in the 43 than +P. YMMV.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
G43 with Talo sights. You can buy it that way. Don’t use +P in the G43. Use Federal HST 150gr. HP.
Why don't use +P in G43?

You can if like. I prefer the 150gr. HP HST. For me, they are more controllable in the 43 than +P. YMMV.

From my experience and research, there is little advantage to +P in short barreled pistols. More recoil, more noise and more muzzle flash with little return in terminal performance. Standard pressure rounds or better yet those specifically engineered for short barreled pistols are a better choice in my opinion. But +P will function just fine in a G43 if that's your fancy. I've been testing the 150 gr HST and really like the lighter recoil, but have mostly been using 124 gr HST standard pressure.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
The GF originally had the Shield 9. She had a hard time with the pulling the slide back. So, I bought her a 43. She loves it!

Now, I carry her Shield 9. My personal opinion is for the Shield over the 43. I shoot the Glock well, but the Shield better, plus it fits the hand better and use the extended magazine.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why don't use +P in G43?

From my experience and research, there is little advantage to +P in short barreled pistols. More recoil, more noise and more muzzle flash with little return in terminal performance. Standard pressure rounds or better yet those specifically engineered for short barreled pistols are a better choice in my opinion. But +P will function just fine in a G43 if that's your fancy. I've been testing the 150 gr HST and really like the lighter recoil, but have mostly been using 124 gr HST standard pressure.

Have you been able to find it in 50 round boxes and if so, how much? I’ve been on the 147 grain just because of cost alone. 21/50 rounds is a good deal.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 43, but I'm a Glock fan. I've owned a couple Shields, but they just didn't do it for me. I have friends that prefer the slightly larger Shield though.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
I had to wait 6 weeks turn around time to have a faulty slide release replaced on my Shield; spare parts are damn near nonexistent. Not an issue with Glock.

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shield .....everyone that loves,loves their G43 added those plus 99 rounders to it making the grip longer then the Shield. The Shield does have a harder slide to rack ,but at the range 95% will shoot my Shield better than they shoot their own G43.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have been a Glock guy since the G17 was available for $288 at gun shows.

I purchased a Shield from PSA last summer when S&W ran their rebate prior to the launch of the 2.0.

I have had it out to the range only a couple times but I shoot is so well. It has been 100% reliable. I really like it.

I would not hesitate on the Shield.

Of course the new Sig365 with 10 rds is quite a choice too. All sold out around here.

Wife has a G43 I have the Shield and love it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:

Have you been able to find it in 50 round boxes and if so, how much? I’ve been on the 147 grain just because of cost alone. 21/50 rounds is a good deal.

I've only found the 150 gr available in 20 round boxes and quite a bit more expensive than 124 or 147 gr. They are somewhat a specialty round at this point as they are targeted for short barrel use where as the 124/147 are usable in just about any firearm. Probably won't see the 150 gr priced at the level of the "standard" HSTs unless they become more mainstream.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:

I've only found the 150 gr available in 20 round boxes and quite a bit more expensive than 124 or 147 gr. They are somewhat a specialty round at this point as they are targeted for short barrel use where as the 124/147 are usable in just about any firearm. Probably won't see the 150 gr priced at the level of the "standard" HSTs unless they become more mainstream.

Gotcha. I appreciate that.

Do you think the 150 grain has any more or less advantages in a Glock 43 over the 147 standard pressure?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
In this head-2-head, it would be a G43 for me because it's a Glock and I'm a Glock guy through and through, but the Shield's a decent gun in its own right. Aside from the more aggressive texture and MAYBE a slightly better trigger, I don't see or sense a lot that's different from 1.0 to 2.0. It handles recoil better than my G43 and holds more firepower right out of the box. No added expense and dimension base plates. Grip shape still feels long and thin in a weird way but with the rougher texture it's certainly good enough to grab and securely hold onto. Hopefully the 1.0 frame cracks are a thing of the past. The G43 trigger is a better thing to me, but the 2.0's does feel a bit cleaner than before though the reset still varies considerably from gun-to-gun. I don't carry single stacks but I wouldn't be opposed to the 2.0 Shield if I had to do with one.

But I still prefer my PPS M2 over both my G43 and the 2.0 Shield.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the shield, as the frame on mine cracked at under 200 factory rounds. It's still in my safe, as S&W refused to warranty it (as they did with other Shield owners whose Shield's cracked the same way.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m paying about $30 for a 20 round box of Federal HST 150 gr. HP. What NavyGuy states about the round and cost is true. YMMV but it’s the correct round in the G43 for me.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
People might do this. But you can get 7+1 rounds into a flush fit G43 mag with the Magguts spring system (which has been well reviewed.) Also, with the Taran +1 you can also get 7+1 rounds, with a very slight base plate extension. With both of these mag mods, the height of the G43 with the mags in is shorter then the Shield.

quote:
Originally posted by KML:
Shield .....everyone that loves,loves their G43 added those plus 99 rounders to it making the grip longer then the Shield. The Shield does have a harder slide to rack ,but at the range 95% will shoot my Shield better than they shoot their own G43.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my recipe for a light carry gun ... I got my G43 Talo when it first came out. Glock shooter here at work had a bunch of finger-groove base plates he was selling, they allowed 1 extra round, he found it more comfortable with the "pinky groove" but shot better without it ... said that with the extension that he would pull his pinky back and it would shoot low.

I don't seem to have that problem with them.

Just throwing this out, I also like my Colt Mustang XSP ... a bit smaller and lighter but its a 380

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
Had the original shield. Sold it after 800 or so rounds. What I liked. Feels like a slim full size pistol. What I didn't. Trigger sucked and grip too smooth. Not willing to drop 150.00 on a trigger for a 350 pistol.

Glock 43. First I'll say I own a few Glocks to preface comments.
Very snappy. Plastic sights. Meh trigger. I like its size. Factory capacity is brutal. I don't own one. Put about 200 rounds through a friends.

Was on a list for the 365...I'll wait till gen 7.5 comes out.

Currently have the shield 2.0. Much better trigger. Salient arms quality frame stippling. Metal sights and better magazine capacity. With decent aftermarket support for mag extensions sights etc. found one for 335.00 NIB at my local fun shop.

Off topic. I shot a friends Walther PPS M2. Three magazines. Great build quality. Nice trigger and sights. He picked his up for 350 NIB. If I hadn't bought the shield I would have gone with the Walther. Sweet little pistol.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post