SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 or Shield 2.0?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 or Shield 2.0? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
OK, so I know I've posted similar threads before but I'm struggling to make my mind up on this. I want to buy a second mini-9mm for off-duty/backup/CCW. (Duty gun is a G17.4)

I currently own a Shield 2.0 that I eventually fitted with a TLR-6. I love the gun, but want a second weapon because when I retire in a few years, I won't be able to buy another.

Resons for the Shield 2.0:
-Like the platform, and can shoot it well
-have numerous holsters already
-No alterations except finger extension, and someday a set of night sights.

Reasons for the G43:
-Similar to my duty gun...
-slightly smaller than the Shield
-a little variety
-Glock reputation

The bummer on the G43 is that I always have to add sights and mag basepads and the magazines are friggin expensive. The guns by price are very close. I like the feel of the grip / grip angle a little more on the G43. I have also heard that some agencies who use +P ammo in the G43 have had issues with parts breaking, but I have nothing but anecdotal info on that. Also, what gun is more durable over time?

I need some collective wisdom from my esteemed peers here. I'm really looking for specific experiences or info you all have. Also, who has stories of high round counts on these.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G43 with Talo sights. You can buy it that way. Don’t use +P in the G43. Use Federal HST 150gr. HP.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use the Taran Base pads for the mags to get another two rounds ..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G43.

+P won't hurt it, either.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
G43 with Talo sights. You can buy it that way. Don’t use +P in the G43. Use Federal HST 150gr. HP.

My Talo was 489 plus 5% tax locally. Better than the price of a standard model at all Big Box dealers elsewhere.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I to be the only dissenting voice? I have fired the G43 several times and own a Shield 2.0. I found the G43 to be punishing and not fun to shoot.
The Shield on the other hand is a soft shooter, easy to carry and about the same price.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
G43 does everything I need in a small carry gun. Yeah, new sights and a few mag extensions are needed so if that's a big deal, go the other direction. I have little experience with the Shield, but it's well thought of by many so it's probably a good option.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I shoot the shield 2.0 better than the 43. I attribute it to the shield having larger grip front to back and is thus easier for me to grip.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Why don't use +P in G43?

Posts: 2676 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield 1.0 and it's been a great gun.
The Glock came out after I already had a Shield and I haven't shot one but it felt too small in my hand.
I don't pocket carry and the Shield is plenty small enough for my needs. The reliability and quality are the same from what I can tell. Because it's so popular there are more than enough accessories and they are priced reasonably.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwmac:
I found the G43 to be punishing and not fun to shoot.
I've never owned a 9mm that was punishing to shoot including the G43.

Posts: 2676 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Originally posted by gwmac:
I found the G43 to be punishing and not fun to shoot.
I've never owned a 9mm that was punishing to shoot including the G43.

Try the kel-tec PF9. It honestly sucks to shoot. Your trigger finger will hate you

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the g43, we have 2 of them now. My wife carries one daily and has no trouble hitting a few hundred rounds through it every range visit.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sgtbrock
posted Hide Post
G43 lot better after market toys and very reliable and smaller than shield.

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I carried an M&P shield 9 off duty for several years. When the G43 came out, it made sense to standardize my off duty carry with my duty weapon (Glock). So the M&P Shield sits in the safe and I carry the G43, both as back up and off duty.

Having said that, the Shield is a little bit of a softer shooting gun, but I don't find either one to be painful or objectionable.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also vote for the G43. Two of mine wear Taran +2 extensions and one magazine is a +1 Pearce. No reliability problems and recoil is not that bad, though I've got a Pachmayer grip sleeve on it.

This will help mitigate recoil and makes the grip a little more hand filling for my large hands.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Duty gun is a G17.4)

Then G43 is the answer hands down IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently was in the same situation and out of two I picked the Shield 2.0, got my shield for a great price and in my opinion the trigger doesn't need any work out of the box. I had a G43 in the past and I spend a lot more to get it set up, with my Shield I spend a out $400.00 including a high quality holster and hasn't missed a beat. At this point I have no desire of a G43 or even a P365.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
They're both good guns, I think I actually liked the Shield more but I kept the Glock and sold the Shield.

Not a fan of the full size or compact M&P's so I stayed with Glock all the way around.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Hogue makes a slide-on, textured-finger groove sleeve for the Shield.

It's hard to slide on, takes a little work to install, and may even fit both of your choices.

It makes a very nice addition, improving the grip and seems to absorb some minimal recoil from my Shield 2.0.

My #2 subcompact 9mm is an H&K P-30SK/S.
It's needed NO Add-Ons and outta the box it's built like a tank,seems 100% reliable with everything I've fed it, and is reasonably accurate even in my clumsy hands.

For shear fun, my Apex-Firing System Shield 2.0 remains a lot easier/fun to shoot.

But for CCW, I still like the ambi-safety on the H&K and the 15 round capacity of available H&K Factory Mags with no extra mods.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post