SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When it rains a couple guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When it rains a couple guns Login/Join 
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted
My sister works for the owner of quite a few apartment complexes. An electrician was working in one of the vacant units and when he accessed the drop ceiling these fell down and hit him in the head. I talked to the owner and told him I’d be interested in the Remington Rand 1911A1. It was manufactured in 1944. Other than the trigger and grips it appears intact. He’s having them checked to see if stolen (most likely) if ok then I’ll make him an offer.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a cop buddy, who, before he became a cop, found an XD by the side of the road. It's been his main personal carry gun ever since.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What if the owner of the guns comes and says, “Oh, hey, I forgot and left a couple of guns in my apartment when I moved out. I’d like to get them back”?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington Rand 1911A1

Yeah, I'm going with stolen. That's way too nice a gun to have in an apartment ceiling if legit.

Let us know!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
The previous occupant is deceased.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:
The previous occupant is deceased.

This is the other likely reason they are there. The owner is deceased and his kids cleaned out the apartment and had no idea they were there.

Not sure why any idiot would modify and put a modern trigger on a 1944 Remington rand.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The guns still belong to someone other than the apartment owner if the previous occupant had any heirs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The guns still belong to someone other than the apartment owner if the previous occupant had any heirs.

True, should be easy to find out and make them an offer. Heck, first tell them and ask if they want to come and pick them up or have them shipped to their FFL. They may say you can keep them, not worth the hassle!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Feh. If the guns were left behind as abandoned property, just like a chair, then make an offer. How do you know who owned what? Maybe a prior tenant left those behind. Follow the law on abandoned property if applicable, and not stolen.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They were abandoned. Someone would have to check Ohio law on the subject. The family had a chance to clean out the apartment, and left them (and, yes they probably never knew about them.) There's an even money (at least) chance that since the unit reverted to the building owner, they're now his property. But very much check the local law on this subject. I'm sure the building owner has a lawyer. He can make one call and get a definitive answer.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
In my life, I've only found BB guns. Twice.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It's entirely possible that whomever cleaned out this apartment found them and didn't know exactly what to do with them, so hid them so they didn't have to deal with them. I was helping an elderly family friend clean out her deceased brothers home. When we discovered a few firearms, she immediately froze as if she were facing a King Cobra. She was Wink , along with about 6 others. She said to put them in the access panel to the central air so she didn't have to call the cops to dispose of them since she didn't want anything to do with them. Well, I made her an offer to buy them from her but she refused and actually gave them all to me for helping. There was a real possibility of 7 guns falling into the wrong hands once discovered.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife was helping to clean out a house for an elderly widow, who said that my wife could take anything she wanted. That's how she (my wife) acquired a High Standard Derringer, .22 WMR.

I took it to the range to check it out. After a few rounds it decided to only fire on every other trigger pull. Careful inspection showed a cracked frame. I'm waiting for a local gun buy-back. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how some folks treat guns.

Many years ago while elk hunting in N. Idaho, I found a Winchester 94 leaning against a tree. From its condition I would estimate it had been standing there for several years. Guy probably leaned it there to do something, like transport an elk down the steep mountain to the road. Then could not find the gun. We turned it in to the Forest Service in case the owner had reported it. They had no record, but the thing was probably useless anyway.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
It is amazing how some folks treat guns.

Many years ago while elk hunting in N. Idaho, I found a Winchester 94 leaning against a tree. From its condition I would estimate it had been standing there for several years. Guy probably leaned it there to do something, like transport an elk down the steep mountain to the road. Then could not find the gun. We turned it in to the Forest Service in case the owner had reported it. They had no record, but the thing was probably useless anyway.

Elk,

That reminds me of the one they found in Nevada. It was an 1873 dating from 1882. There's a good picture.

https://www.southbendtribune.c...d4-43ec75cf22a2.html

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine drives a delivery truck for a food company. Heading home from some Baltimore deliverys sees three pistols lying (laying?) in the street. He stopped, picked them up and turned them in to the police.

Interesting dilemma. Probably the right thing to do.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. There are abandoned property laws in most states and jurisdictions

quote:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Not sure why any idiot would modify and put a modern trigger on a 1944 Remington rand.

Because they're an idiot and do idiot things. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If I was the electrician...

Guns? What guns?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

But in reality you have to turn them over to the property owner, in this case the apartment owner. They likely have things in their lease about abandoned property, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Both come up clean. I’ll talk to the owner on Monday and see what he decides to do with them.

Semper Fi