SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you ever shoot without prescription lenses?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever shoot without prescription lenses? Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
If you wear glasses, it might be worth your time to run “Blind” now and again.

Food for thought.

It likely won't be a complete waste of time, just to get a sense of what it's like, but I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it.

Like Point Shooting, what you learn from sighted practice will still be accessible for you should you have your vision impaired

quote:
I do t shoot all that well with crystal clear vision

All the more reason to work on your sighted fire skills.

If your vision is poor enough to impair your ability to hit a target while trying to use the sights without glasses, by the time you're able to identify your target well enough to decide to use deadly force, it should be close enough for you to place accurate hits on it if your "normal" technique is sound.

I'll cite an example to demonstrate that the above isn't just opinion:

I was shooting an IDPA match where one stage involved shooting 6 targets place between 1 (across a table)and 7 yards away (across a room). Next to each target was a Non-Threat (No Shoot) target. The Course of Fire required one reload as Division (SSP) allowed a maximum loaded capacity of 11 (10+1). The "kicker" was that the whole CoF was required to be shot with your head/face covered with a towel to simulate total darkness.

Most shooters tried to slowly pivot between where they remembered/thought the targets were to fire two careful shoots. The reload threw a lot of folks off as it threw off their "index". Most of the shooters managed to tag a couple of No Shoot targets and many failed to put any hits on paper at all.

I shot to where I thought the targets were, pivoted from the waist to maintain my Isosceles arm alignment, and didn't wait for the gun to settle with the sights on target...since I couldn't see them anyway. I placed hits on all the targets, didn't tag any of the No Shoot targets, and won the stage by 20+ seconds.

My tagline after that was, "I shoot better when I can't see the targets...certainly faster"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why I was glad when first signs of cataracts had surgery. Went from nearsighted to farsighted but can shoot without glasses. Was 20/500 before.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been adding some no-glasses practice to each range visit for the past 3 years or so ... just seemed prudent. I'm adjusting to a new situation that has really affected my shooting. I've worn glasses since I was 10 +/- ... very near sighted and that progressed as I aged. Then I developed cataracts and just had surgery to remove them, both eyes. Now, at 68, I'm far sighted all of a sudden! It is taking some adjustments ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Uncorrected, I’m 20/600. I put my glasses on before I get out of bed and take them off after I get in bed.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I can't see shit without my glasses, so no.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot Bull's-eye without glasses the same way I park my car..... By Sound Wink

Posts: 18 | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post