SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you ever shoot without prescription lenses?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever shoot without prescription lenses? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I wear glasses. Have my whole life. My vision sucks.

As such every now and again I run my handguns sans glasses. Sure it’s a shotgun group but it’s on paper. If you require prescription lenses do you ever run a mag or three “blind” if you will?

One reason I really like my P2000’s is I seem to naturally point them in the “general direction” of the bad guy naturally.

If you wear glasses, it might be worth your time to run “Blind” now and again.

Food for thought.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do t shoot all that well with crystal clear vision so shooting blind.....it’s a great excuse. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I wear trifocals. Last week I shot using the middle magnification (intermediate range), which puts the front sight in sharp focus. This week I shot using the top magnification (distance vision) which puts the front sight out of focus but the target sharp. My natural head position while firing a handgun is the latter, where I’m looking through the top part of the lens. I plan on getting some shooting-only glasses where the top is at my middle Rx. An interesting note in this, though, I actually shot better today than last week. Same two guns, same distance. I still put my focus on the front sight, even though it was a bit unsharp, but in my natural head position. To use the middle section I have to tilt my head back a bit, which feels unnatural.

So I wouldn’t exactly say it was like shooting without my Rx lenses, but it was less than ideal. I will try it next time without the Rx glasses at all just to see the result. You raise a good point!

Also, my vision isn’t so poor that shooting without my glasses would be unsafe. Just didn’t want anybody worrying about that! Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, I wear bifocals. I have 2 neckfusions and if I take the glasses off, I can see front sight much better and place the sight on the blurred target much easier. Of course, I put on yellow tinted shooting glasses. They are the plastic ones for 10 dollars.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I hadn't considered it.

Without my glasses/contacts, my natural focus distance is about 3.5-4" from my face. It might be a good idea to try this next time I go to the range...Or not. I'm confident I could get it all down range safely. On paper...That's another story entirely.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have. As much as we like to debate the perfect pistol ergonomics, not being able to see well kind of makes those minor details seem a bit silly.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear contacts and reading glasses (6 mo. from 60). My contacts stay infall the time, so I'm unlikely to need to shoot without them. That said, I know my eyesight and am confident I can see well enough without them to hit at self-defense ranges.

On the readers/bi-/tri-focals, I now practice 90% of the time without them, as I expect they won't be on my head when I need them. The front and rear sights are blurry, but "good enough" for bad-guy use.

I will say that the getting-old-sucks eyesight caused me to take the plunge for a factory red dot-equipped SIG P320RX. What a revelation! I see several more red dots in my future

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot half with, half without. I figure I never know when conflict may arise. I am considering laser sights now for this reason.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried but it's almost to the point of making me nauseous.
Something about it just plays a visual trick on me and makes my stomach turn.
I'm lucky so far in my 50's to still have decent vision.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
From 10 yards in, I shoot better without my glasses. I see better up close without them, to about 5’.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I do. My vision isn’t bad...it’s like 20/40. I only wear glasses at work or when I’m watching TV so I practice without them as normally when I’m CC’img I won’t have them on.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I wear contact lenses but take them out to sleep. I do have a pair of glasses for when I get up in the night and sit around in the morning. If I didn't wear either of these, I don't think I could see the gun on the end of my hand! But, I suppose I should try with glasses and take them off in cases of a physical altercation in the home.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea! I do practice off hand with each hand. I'll add this.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is bad enough at 30 that I can't see the front sight of a pistol held at full extension of my arms to align it correctly in the rear without my glasses. No way I would even see the target. I would need to have a hand on the bad guy to get hits without my lenses.
I can make do with a rifle with magnified optics and no glasses, but it is just making do.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've done it a couple of times. Assumption is that I'm attacked and my eyeglasses are knocked off. Thing is, the scenario's not accurate. Anyone who's close enough to slug or bat my glasses off is going to get shot point blank, assuming I can draw my gun.

The at-home, nighttime scenario that I can't locate my glasses (I SWEAR that I put them RIGHT THERE!): I'd go for my Shockwave before I reach for my G23. No, I haven't shot my Shockwave without my glasses on.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a point of unaided focus right around the 42" area so I can shoot iron sight pistols, and some iron sight rifles without glasses. For other iron sight rifles and any RDS sight I need glasses.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Most of the time. I have reading glasses, and might benefit from "real" glasses at this point. Problem is, for most things, I can see fine. I can read road signs at a good distance, recognize people, etc. When shooting, however, I can't get a sharp focus of the front sight with the naked eye. Like you, when I shoot without glasses, I am on paper, but it isn't pretty. When I shoot with the glasses, I cut my group size by 2/3.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ever try shooting with glasses knocked half off hour head, lenses smeared with sweat/blood simulation?

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The at-home, nighttime scenario that I can't locate my glasses (I SWEAR that I put them RIGHT THERE!): I'd go for my Shockwave before I reach for my G23.

Do you believe you can shoot the Shockwave more accurately than the G23 if you can’t see well?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Ever try shooting with glasses knocked half off hour head, lenses smeared with sweat/blood simulation?

I haven't. I've also been remiss in my practice with a knife in my left kidney.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post