SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grayguns custom P320 PELT trigger quietly arrives
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grayguns custom P320 PELT trigger quietly arrives Login/Join 
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
I may not understand the question. Mac

Apex also makes a trigger for the P320.

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 442 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarv:
quote:

I do not believe that is the point. The Apex trigger is a trigger only. The GGI is a trigger plus springs. The Apex does not alter, lower, or smooth out the trigger pull. The GGI will.

FYI

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 28947 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Thanks...makes sense.

Posts: 508 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I'm going to watch the video later tonight but thoughts on this vs. an Apex? I.e. should I plan to sell my Apex and order a PELT?

The Apex is a stock replacement. It only changes the trigger shape, it makes no changes to the action except for a very slight increase in leverage because of being able to get lower on the trigger.

The GGI trigger is a completely different design. This trigger is a production version of what GGI has been doing to the P320 triggers in their custom shop, and is why the GGI trigger work was superior to their competition.

I've haven't tried one without the to be released GGI competition sear, but I imagine that it will be a big improvement. Bruce has been working on this pretty hardcore for the last couple of years.

-------
Take your time, I'm hourly.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 19513 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
would love to get a comparison of what the difference from the trigger work done if you send in your gun to grayguns vs the drop in kit.

Posts: 84 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice - always good to see aftermarket options coming out from reputable manufacturers.

Posts: 87 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alma
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by jmarv:
quote:

I do not believe that is the point. The Apex trigger is a trigger only. The GGI is a trigger plus springs. The Apex does not alter, lower, or smooth out the trigger pull. The GGI will.

FYI

It's more than the spring. The GGI trigger introduces a geometry change.

Posts: 240 | Location: Springfield, VA | Registered: November 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
I've reviewed the GrayGuns video. VERY informative, straightforward and provides some additional P320 info beyond the P320 Trigger (PELT) itself. Even if you're not interested in the trigger, the ancillary info is useful for any P320 owner.

For those that don't have the time to watch the whole video (15 minutes), I've taken the liberty of summarizing the high points. If I have misinterpreted anything, I'm sure somebody will correct it.

1. Curved versus straight trigger face. Curved suitable for USPSA production. Straight is more forgiving of finger placement. Bruce prefers curved, primarily due to having fired a zillion P320 rounds using the curved.

2) Trigger bar spring (TBS) SLIGHTLY reduced power. Primary purpose is to smooth out the trigger pull and reduce the double click sense prevalent in some P320's. Trigger pull weight reduction is secondary.

3) Heavy duty replacement coil pin for retaining the sear housing. Insures precise alignment with no slop. Optional...if your original is not worn or undersize, not mandatory. Varies by use and specific pistols. Function is to ensure that there is no slop or rocking in the sear housing retained by the pin. Excessive slop can result in poorer reset timing.

4) Trigger. Most of the improvements in weight and feel are a result of the trigger component itself. Improvements in the cranking angle between trigger and trigger bar. None of the P320 safety features are diminished. The trigger component itself resulted in most of the weight reduction, with a smaller amount due to the lighter TBS. See Items 6 and 7.

5) Only light field stripping required to install the three components. VERY simple with no major mechanical abilities required.

6) After trigger kit installed (all 3 components). (a) Reset about as short as factory, very clean, no drag. (b) Pull considerably lighter and cleaner...5 lbs 1 oz. Weight prior to installation was 7 lb 9 oz.

7) Tuning with the optional TBS. As noted the GGI TBS produced a 5 lb 1 oz pull. Using the original factory TBS, pull increased to 5 lbs 12 oz. Use of factory TBS just increases weight, doesn't reduce any of the other benefits of the GGI physical trigger. States that primary purpose of the lighter TBS is for competition. Note: I didn't say TRIGGER, just the TBS component. Your call as to what you choose if it's a carry gun. Mentions that the factory P320 trigger is VERY good trigger and well suited for carry as is. The GGI P320 Trigger (PELT) is just an other option, depending oun your preferences.

My own take for defensive use:

1) My early P320C 9 mm has a VERY good trigger. No complaints regarding defensive shooting performance. Still intrigued by the GGI trigger though, primarily for the cleaner feel than the lighter pull.

2) I like the fact the physical trigger is steel. This may be important for anybody that has experince the trigger slap phenomenon (I haven't). Steel would have less chance of transmitting vibration/spring action to the trigger finger.

CORRECTION: See Rln_21 post. Factory trigger is in fact steel...not polymer.

3) I'd replace the sear housing spring regardless of any perceived slop in the factory setup. Precision and durability reasons.

4) I'd compare the feel of the Sig OEM TBS and the GGI before deciding which to use. I don't require overly light triggers. If the overall difference was negligible, I'd stay with factory.

NOTE: I have NO association, direct or indirect with GrayGuns. However, I do have confidence in their work and products. I took the time to post this only as a convenience for SF members that may be P320 owners. One of the benefits of being retired. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 3380 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay-cure: I am using a P320C9 with a very low s/n in IDPA that Mr. Gray enhanced with the minor set of enhancements. With insufficient information yet, from information now existing, I guess that the result of the trigger kit just announced is similar to what Mr. Gray accomplished. However, Mr. Gray's good people appear to have "polished" or otherwise enhanced other internal parts too.
I have a back up P320C9 that is virtually new. When I have installed the new kit into it, I will do a comparison.

a P320F9 BSS RX is in line to have Mr. Gray's full competition package as part of a multiple 9mm pistol comparison to evaluate RX, Q5, G34, and M&P 9L for bullseye. All except the Q5 will be, or have been, significantly overhauled. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 173 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
I've reviewed the GrayGuns video. VERY informative, straightforward and provides some additional P320 info beyond the P320 Trigger (PELT) itself. Even if you're not interested in the trigger, the ancillary info is useful for any P320 owner.

One of the big things he hits on sorta knocks it out of the park. The stock trigger is good enough for defensive use, however, if you have the skill set to milk the extra performance that the trigger offers, its fine too. Smile

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 28947 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

2) I like the fact the physical trigger is steel. This may be important for anybody that has experince the trigger slap phenomenon (I haven't). Steel would have less chance of transmitting vibration/spring action to the trigger finger.

Thank you Nipper for the concise and accurate breakdown of the video for those that haven't had the time to watch it yet.

My only note would be that the factory trigger is also completely steel and I would not expect our trigger to change anything in regards to vibration transmission.
It is my general understanding that most of the "trigger slap" complaints are actually related to a pinch either at the top of the trigger near the trigger window in the frame, or between the tip of the trigger and the bottom of the trigger guard. This is related to body mechanics and hand size/finger placement. Our curved trigger is a factory analog shape and will not necessarily change that for people unless pull weight also has some bearing on that problem for them.
However, the flat trigger may allow someone to optimize their trigger finger placement to reduce any unwanted effects in that regard.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

GrayGuns Inc.
Phone: 541-468-3840
Email: roy@grayguns.com

Posts: 3397 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce! Will you send your kit to switzerland! Sig service are catastrophic here and browell's switzerland have a very small choice of sig parts and i think your parts Will not be obtenable through them.

Posts: 357 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nipper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:
quote:

Thank you Nipper for the concise and accurate breakdown of the video for those that haven't had the time to watch it yet.

My only note would be that the factory trigger is also completely steel and I would not expect our trigger to change anything in regards to vibration transmission.
It is my general understanding that most of the "trigger slap" complaints are actually related to a pinch either at the top of the trigger near the trigger window in the frame, or between the tip of the trigger and the bottom of the trigger guard. This is related to body mechanics and hand size/finger placement. Our curved trigger is a factory analog shape and will not necessarily change that for people unless pull weight also has some bearing on that problem for them.
However, the flat trigger may allow someone to optimize their trigger finger placement to reduce any unwanted effects in that regard.

Thanks for the correction and clarification on the trigger. I never did the magnet test on my own P320 trigger...until now. Mine is the earlier version with the hollow voids. Don't know if it's the coating, but it feels to the touch more like polymer than steel.

Although I have the first gen version of the P320C 9 mm, I've never experienced any of the issues discussed on the SF. Also, for defensive use, my trigger was absolutely first rate out of the box. However, still intrigued by the new GrayGuns P320 trigger.

Posts: 3380 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post