SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Most difficult pistols to field strip/reassemble
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most difficult pistols to field strip/reassemble Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Wink

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
[nested quotes removed]
Case rim works perfectly for this, brass and wont scratch anything...

Well, what do you know. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
[nested quote removed]
I carried a 3913 for many years, and fail to see what makes it so complicated...

Step 1: Retract the slide about halfway, lining up the notch in the slide with the base of the slide stop lever.
Step 2: Push the slide stop lever out the side of the frame.
Step 3: Take the slide forward off the frame
Step 4: Remove guide rod, spring, and barrel from slide.
Done.

Reassemble in reverse.

There are two levers (actuating the firing pin block and magazine safety) that have to be pushed down before the slide will go completely back on. The larger of the two levers can actually ding the slide if you forget this. Maybe he is referring to those? Detail stripping (down to every last little part) one isn't something I'd like to do. (I never do it anyway, there is no need unless you dropped it in mud or something.)

The slide stop on 1911s is a little more complicated than it needs to be (it doesn't push straight in, you have to rotate it up), as attested to by the number of "idiot scratches" on frames. And those that deviate from the original design (which is able to be field stripped with no tools, detail stripped using parts of itself as the tools) are as well.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I forgot about those two tiny levers in the fire control group during reassembly. But that's a minor hiccup. Still far from complicated, especially compared to a number of other designs.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Wink

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0tHUCgo1g5Q" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

^This!

LOL. That being said, I have a MK2 that is a little more stubborn to reasseble than my others. I feel bad for people that get the stubborn ones. Some the lug in the grip and the cutout under the barrel dosent fit well. Some, the hammer is a little looser and and will fall more easily when trying to get the hammer strut positioned correctly, and some have more issues with the mainspring housing being inserted. I have a mkII that has all these issues. So it might take me 3 minutes to reassemble it vs. the 1 mintues it takes me to reassemble the others i have that go together more easily. But that is a great video.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ While I'd taken a couple people's apart many years ago (or mostly put them back together for them Wink ), I never owned one myself till recently. I'd never really had one "apart", so when I went to change the sear and trigger last month I thought "Well... I can use my eyes and my brain and puzzle this out like the bad old days, or I can watch Youtube! That little girl showed me how to do it. Great for making you feel old, blind and fumble fingered. Big Grin

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post