SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Most difficult pistols to field strip/reassemble
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most difficult pistols to field strip/reassemble Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
1) Walther CCP--soft recoil, P7 gas piston design but a PIA to release hook.
2) Walther P5--push barrel in to release the slide
3) M&P 2.0 --push the stupid lever to 90 degrees once mag is released.
4) Ruger Mark 1-3 series...….Majestic Speed Strip Kit
5) Sig 365-- have to push slide release lever to allow slide retention lever to move to 6 o'clock position.

To field strip these pistols --its mandatory to read and re read the instruction manual. I didn't expect the Sig to be that difficult. I admit--I didn't read the manual. Got to the slide reassemble and figured out which way the barrel spring went.. Eek
Not too bad--now I can't get slide to go on. Slide lever won't go to 6 o'clock position. Maybe if I reinsert the mag--oh, thet works , slide lever now moves to correct position.
You Tube video--push slide release lever up to allow slide retention bar to rotate. Got it now.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The Speed Strip Kit is awesome for the earlier Ruger .22 pistols. I have one in each of my three.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Mark I - III series probably had the most written about them and complains about them. They also were highly popular and thus there were plenty of customers to complain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
You can disassemble a M&P just like you do a glock, if you prefer.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mk 1.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Ruger LCP's takedown pin, upon which the barrel also tilts, is unnecessarily difficult to remove. I sent one back because it wouldn't come out at all. They sent it back and it was fixed, with a note that I needed to clean it better.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Going by the responses so far, it seems that no one here has stripped a Grendel P-31.

Fun to shoot? Yes. PITA to clean? Yes. I thought it was bad until I read in The Complete Book of Rimfire Pistols that it was the most difficult gun in the whole book to do. Makes a Calico drum look like child's play.

I get my rimfire fix with 17s and a Cheetah now. A Ruger clone and a 1911 seem to tag along...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
S&W 5906: The damn slide stop pin it tighter than Zeke's hatband requiring something solid to push it against. Then when you get it apart, its filled with nooks and crannies impossible to thoroughly clean.

Putting it back together, you need three hands to rotate this, slide that, push this down and put the slide on.

Love shooting it; hate cleaning it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the engineering with some pistol makers either. I had my Ruger P89 refinished and I disassembled the pistol and replaced all of the springs as well. The hardest thing to replace was the magazine release button spring. I wound up cutting it off with my Dremel thinking this is the hardest part. Nope. Putting the 2 piece magazine release button back in was much harder. I had to sit on the floor so the carpet would act as my vise/third hand to get it together. I still don't know how I got it together again. Thanks goodness for Youtube videos.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the P365 was any more difficult than any other P-series SIG.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
3) M&P 2.0 --push the stupid lever to 90 degrees once mag is released.

Just ignore that sear disconnect lever and pull the trigger instead. (After verifying that the chamber is empty, of course.)

M&Ps have had that sear disconnect lever since Gen 1. It was designed for buyers and LE agencies who for whatever reason weren't comfortable pulling the trigger to disassemble. That is apparently a somewhat common complaint about Glocks, so S&W figured that including this feature could help them gain the business of those skittish buyers.

But just pulling the trigger as normal has always been an option for M&Ps.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Ohhh--moment of enlightenment--or follow Tha1000 recommendation.

Like a Glock....

By pulling the trigger-the stupid lever falls 90 degrees ...why didn't Smith just say that.

Thx tha1000 and Rogue.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The Ruger LCP's takedown pin, upon which the barrel also tilts, is unnecessarily difficult to remove. I sent one back because it wouldn't come out at all. They sent it back and it was fixed, with a note that I needed to clean it better.

Are you using your bare hands to try to pull the pin out? I always use a flat screwdriver and pop the pin out from the head.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of PITA how about taking magazines apart for cleaning. Beretta a among the hardest, PX4 Storm, CZ 83, .32 ACP, and my 10 round HK's for my P30L.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Are you using your bare hands to try to pull the pin out? I always use a flat screwdriver and pop the pin out from the head.

I use a narrow flat-blade jeweler's screwdriver. This has to be done carefully so you don't nick or gouge the frame. The particular gun in my post had a kinked retention spring and the pin wouldn't budge, period.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P08 luger

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
You can disassemble a M&P just like you do a glock, if you prefer.
By shooting a .40?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sock Eating Golden,

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there is the Remington R51. It is bear to take down, clean and re-assemble.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mk 2 or 3 for sure.

HK p7- not difficult as much as complex.

Canik 55 Stingray C.

Fun disassembly story- Never try to take the recoil spring plug out of a 1911 without capturing it with your thumb. Especially if you have cathedral ceilings. It turns out Sir Issac Newton was wrong, what goes up must get stuck in the ceiling 20 feet above your head.

Fun disassembly story 2- Never take the backplate off a MK19 with the bolt back. Especially if its sitting between your legs. Its funny because it didnt happen to me.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A second vote for the Remington R51 as the worst I've seen to field strip. How about the Benelli B80, not hard to do but you really need the instructions as it's strange.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post