SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Mainspring thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Mainspring thoughts Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for ways to improve the DA to SA transition with this weapon. I'm looking at a Grayguns ELS trigger and am considering a lighter mainspring. It has a SRT on it already and I'm hopeful the trigger will be a big improvement. This is my carry pistol so I cannot compromise reliability. Is it advisable to lighten the mainspring a small amount? Thanks for your input.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a 19# in my 220 with a regular trigger.
I am using the GGI ELS in one 229 with a 19# spring.
226 has the EDC/SOT kit and a 19# spring.
M11-A1 has the EDC/SOT kit, SA Superstrut and a 20# spring.
If GGI made an ELS kit for older 220's I'd put one in it also.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a P220, I am however looking to do the same with my 226. I have been researching this a lot as my MK25 has a harder/heavier pull than does my p229. I did notice on my 229, it has the newer E2 parts-longer hammer strut and smaller mainspring seat, compared to the MK25 which has the shorter strut and longer mainspring seat.I debated on buying just the E2 hammer strut and shorter mainspring seat, but decided on getting the E2 grip kit instead, as I really like the E2 grip. Both types of parts use the same mainspring, well at least on the 226. You might check your pistol to see what parts it has. Also, if it is an older pistol, the original grips might not fit with the newer E2 parts, again, at least with the 226 but I think those are pistols made prior to the year 1999. I have also been told by those that more than I, you can get a lower spring weight but make sure you don't go too low.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I have a 19# in my 220 with a regular trigger.
I am using the GGI ELS in one 229 with a 19# spring.
226 has the EDC/SOT kit and a 19# spring.
M11-A1 has the EDC/SOT kit, SA Superstrut and a 20# spring.
If GGI made an ELS kit for older 220's I'd put one in it also.

Thanks. BTW, I will be present your post to my wife as evidence I'm really not that bad. Man, you have some weapons!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
While I don't have a P220, I am however looking to do the same with my 226. I have been researching this a lot as my MK25 has a harder/heavier pull than does my p229. I did notice on my 229, it has the newer E2 parts-longer hammer strut and smaller mainspring seat, compared to the MK25 which has the shorter strut and longer mainspring seat.I debated on buying just the E2 hammer strut and shorter mainspring seat, but decided on getting the E2 grip kit instead, as I really like the E2 grip. Both types of parts use the same mainspring, well at least on the 226. You might check your pistol to see what parts it has. Also, if it is an older pistol, the original grips might not fit with the newer E2 parts, again, at least with the 226 but I think those are pistols made prior to the year 1999. I have also been told by those that more than I, you can get a lower spring weight but make sure you don't go too low.

I love my E2 grips. Makes a very big difference in a carry pistol. Plus, they accentuate the outdoor decking no slip tape I use instead of checkering!

I bought my P220 right around 2000 or 2001. I am waiting to hear from Top Gun Supply to see if they can track down the trigger. Greyguns is out of stock. Fingers crossed.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
You may want to verify the trigger width before ordering.
That year may have the 8mm wide trigger.
If it does then the ELS won't work as it's 10mm wide.
I am using an Armory Craft slightly curved dual adjustable in mine. It's OK, but the GGI ELS would be the cats ass.

Mine was also the old spur hammer that I upgraded to the current E2 hammer and strut system.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Powermad. Pistol is already disassembled and trigger is 10mm wide. I was really worried about that. I'm excited about it. Plan at this moment is to also lighten the mainspring to 19lbs and then get some instruction on quick transitions between DA and SA. Should be fun and potentially pretty useful.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's all well and good until you have multiple light strikes. I understand the process but make sure you find a weight that is reliable and then change it out at regular intervals.

My P220 took to 18-19# alright for awhile, but then became unreliable in the middle of a range session. P226/P228 I had hated 19# and after that exp I went with standard weight on all unless modified by a gunsmith like GGI or the SIG Armoror.

Obviously if it's a range toy, it really doesn't matter but it's still disconcerting to have a well maintained, reliable pistol go down on you and be able to do nothing about it at the time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
GGI recommends a 19# spring with the ELS system.
I tried 17 and 18 before the trigger swaps but was getting light strikes.
I'm also using the Armory Craft hammer in everything.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It's all well and good until you have multiple light strikes. I understand the process but make sure you find a weight that is reliable and then change it out at regular intervals.

My P220 took to 18-19# alright for awhile, but then became unreliable in the middle of a range session. P226/P228 I had hated 19# and after that exp I went with standard weight on all unless modified by a gunsmith like GGI or the SIG Armoror.

Obviously if it's a range toy, it really doesn't matter but it's still disconcerting to have a well maintained, reliable pistol go down on you and be able to do nothing about it at the time.

You may have just talked me out of doing it. Making a super reliable pistol any less reliable is not what I want to do.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcaven:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

You may have just talked me out of doing it. Making a super reliable pistol any less reliable is not what I want to do.

As I noted, GGI recommends the 19# spring with the ELS.
GGI has also recommended that 19# should be the lowest spring rate for EDC and reliability.

The Sig Armor Superstrut comes with a 20# ground and polished spring.

If Bruce Gray and Robert Burke recommend 19 and 20# springs that's good enough for me to give it a lick.
So far I have had no issues between all 4 using all kinds of ammo.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My little group with the GGI EDC/SOT and ELS kits.
226 legion, M11-A1 and 229 Select/RX

Superstrut and E2 strut comparison.

GGI has a strut that's supposed to straighten out the spring also.