SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 5 .40 Glocks Available October 2020
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 5 .40 Glocks Available October 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22940:
I'll take a Gen 5 G21 MOS please

G40 6” 10mm for me.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Gen5 G23. The slide is definitely a little wider but I don't think it is .45 GAP kinda wide. When using the MGW sight pusher, I noticed the slide was taller also. I had to remove the shim that I usually use for 9mm, .40 and .357 sig slides.

The Gen5 G23 doesn't fit any of my G19/G23 holsters that I have been using. It does fit well in one of my G30 holsters though.

Posts: 247 | Location: Pinellas County, Florida | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, handled G23 Gen 5. Slide does feel larger, WTF? I passed. There is nothing wrong at all with my G23 Gen 4, and the the grip actually feels better.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SF1911:
I just picked up a Gen5 G23. The slide is definitely a little wider but I don't think it is .45 GAP kinda wide. When using the MGW sight pusher, I noticed the slide was taller also. I had to remove the shim that I usually use for 9mm, .40 and .357 sig slides.

The Gen5 G23 doesn't fit any of my G19/G23 holsters that I have been using. It does fit well in one of my G30 holsters though.

Spoke to my Glock rep...he said it's about 1/8 inch wider.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From and engineering and design standpoint, what Glock has done to the Gen 5 40 caliber pistols is interesting, and it may well expand to other calibers in the future. But I am very comfortable with my Gen 3 (and one Gen 4) 40S&W Glocks, and have no intention of adding a Gen 5 to the safe

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
According to the Glock website:
Slide width:

G17 G5 25.5mm
G22 G5 27.5mm
G21 G4 28.5mm
G37 G3 28.5mm

So 2mm bigger than the gen 4's but still 1mm less than a 45 ACP/GAP.

I have a G37 and I like the balance of the wider slide. I might check out a gen 5 G22. I'm down to one 40 (a CHP 4006), but a backup might be good to have.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a box of 180 grain Lawman through the G5 G23 today. The recoil is less snappy than the Gen 2s, 3s and 4s that I have owned. I kinda like this gun. I will get the G5 G22 next and I hope they do a .40 version of the G45.

I tried to swear off the .40 call several times over the past 25 years, but I keep coming back like a trailer park wife.

Posts: 247 | Location: Pinellas County, Florida | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Hope they introduce the 357 sig at the same time.

Yep. That would be great. Or at least offer the marksman 357sig barrel for each model.

I emailed Barsto barrels. They said they can make a Gen 5 357 sig barrel.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
quote:
Hope they introduce the 357 sig at the same time.

Yep. That would be great. Or at least offer the marksman 357sig barrel for each model.

I emailed Barsto barrels. They said they can make a Gen 5 357 sig barrel.

Do you think the same is true about a 9mm barrel?

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
quote:
Originally posted by SF1911:

Spoke to my Glock rep...he said it's about 1/8 inch wider.

Oof. So now everyone will have to get new duty and carry holsters. I wonder what the reasoning is here. They've been making the .40 cal Glocks for what... 30 years now?

The .40s and .357s seemed to get along just fine with the same slide width as the 9. So maybe a little more weight makes it a little less snappy--I'd rather keep holster commonality. Hope they keep making then Gen 4 for a while longer then. I'd like to get another 23 or 32 or two.

Posts: 459 | Registered: February 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that Glock has already checked Safariland on this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just get the gen 5 Glock 20 here already. I'm sick of waiting.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I’ll wait patiently for the G20.

That right there would be the heat

Agreed.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Our local dealers wont even take in a g23 for any price interesting they have a market for them. I like my GEN 4.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

According to safariland's Will Fit chart, the Gen 5 G22 holsters are a different model number.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I might go into town and look for one of these. I want to hold one. I like the thicker slide of my GAP.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

According to safariland's Will Fit chart, the Gen 5 G22 holsters are a different model number.

Oh wow. Glock boned themselves there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .40s and .357s seemed to get along just fine with the same slide width as the 9. So maybe a little more weight makes it a little less snappy--I'd rather keep holster commonality.

Losing the third pin because of the ambi slide stop matters. I suppose Glock figured that the only way to keep the Gen5 40s from rattling themselves to pieces was to strengthen/stiffen the gun with a more massive and stout slide. The actual weight difference of the complete gun is just under 3 oz. when comparing Gen4 and Gen5 G23 data panels on Glock's website.

With an empty gun with mag that's over a 10% increase in weight.

I'd like to shoot one before I pass ultimate judgment, but right now I'm feeling fine staying pat with my Gen4 G23s. After handling the Gen5 I don't necessarily feel the added thickness is a deal breaker even if it's a disruption because of the need to find a new holster. But adding weight to an already somewhat bulky form factor...that's not exactly squaring things with me actually wanting to wear one.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post