SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hi Point pistol at my last match
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Point pistol at my last match Login/Join 
posted
I have always been mildly curious at to the Hi Point pistol. Never seen one in real life. Obviously never shot one. Read reviews which mostly say inexpensive, heavy, blocky, not ergonomic, but surprisingly reliable.

Guy brought one to a bowling pin match on Saturday. It was almost all of the above. I have no idea what maintenance or lube he used. He was shooting factory ball ammo. It malfunctioned on a regular basis. It also appeared to be very challenging to clear malfunctions due to the sheer ungainliness and heavy recoil spring.

If I had ever considered one as a beater I am now suitably chastised.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have always been mildly curious at to the Hi Point pistol. Never seen one in real life. Obviously never shot one. Read reviews which mostly say inexpensive, heavy, blocky, not ergonomic, but surprisingly reliable.

Guy brought one to a bowling pin match on Saturday. It was almost all of the above. I have no idea what maintenance or lube he used. He was shooting factory ball ammo. It malfunctioned on a regular basis. It also appeared to be very challenging to clear malfunctions due to the sheer ungainliness and heavy recoil spring.

If I had ever considered one as a beater I am now suitably chastised.

“but surprisingly reliable.”
……
“It malfunctioned on a regular basis. It also appeared to be very challenging to clear malfunctions”
……
?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
He said it was “almost all of the above.”

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ah. I stand corrected.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The immediate action drill for a Hi-Point is to throw it at the threat...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that has one in 9mm , and it has never jammed up yet .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I bought a 9C for $50 from a coworker. I plan on pimping it heavily.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must admit a perverse interest in pictures of that. Lol

Don’t know about the 9mm. This 45 though was bad. He really seemed to struggle on racking the slide, it seemed difficult to do. As a bonus though he got lots of malfunction drills.

When he did his part and the gun didn’t self destruct it was good enough to clear the table. Ugly as hell while doing it but...

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I've had two of the LC9s.
NOT what I would choose for edc.
Glovebox or tackle box gun? Maybe.
Mine are flawless with ball ammo, and do naturally point surprisingly well.
YMMV.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s cheap. That’s why it sells. We take in a lot of hipoints.
Plenty of better? choices in that price range.

I’ve been thinking of getting a beater gun to secure in my car once I find a suitable safe but my beater guns end up being Glocks so I will just buy another Glock.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
It’s cheap. That’s why it sells. We take in a lot of hipoints.
Plenty of better? choices in that price range.

I’ve been thinking of getting a beater gun to secure in my car once I find a suitable safe but my beater guns end up being Glocks so I will just buy another Glock.

My Son has the 9mm carbine, VERY reliable.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I had a Hi Point .40 that I traded back in 2012. Never had a problem with it. Fired every time and was surprisingly accurate.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Not surprising to read of this, you pretty much get what you pay for. For not that much more the S&W SD9VE is a far far better pistol. I could never recommend a Hi Point pistol to anyone, especially as their first/only pistol.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post