Notify
Tools

239T or 225A Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Ginger or Mary Ann

If you had to choose one, which one? Why?

I know 239 is over with from Sig Frown

They both fit my hand well with the G2 grip, or Hogue rubber on the 239. Fit is better than most double stacks. (PPQ is probably the best fit wide one, but kind of slick) They all shoot well.

Use is house and car gun. On person I use deeper smaller guns. I do not compete with these either. That's 92FS and 1911 are for

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Between the two I personally prefer the P225A, not that the P239 is absolutely horrible. Just never took a liking to its squared off front strap, and the Hogue wraparound has those damned finger grooves.

Neither of those two SIGs would ever be anything more than a range toy for me, not with the G19/23/32 and 2.0 9/40 Compact as comparably sized, considerably more firepower, greatly preferred (striker action) alternatives.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tanner’s in PA were selling the 239T for $550. I love mine, but I’ve never shot the 225A

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
225A is my choice. I really liked the 239 however it felt top heavy and the extra 1/4" in grip length on the 225 seems to make it feel more balanced. The single stacks fit my hands best and both are excellent pistols.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The ergos of the 239 just never clicked with me. The 225A is very ergonomic and comes with the short reset trigger. It's a great shooter, I recently picked up one and I really like it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 is a tack driver but like others said I never liked the feel of it. Didn't balance well for me.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the p239 in 9mm with Hogue G10 Grips. I never had an issue with the feel of pistol once I dumped the factory grips. However, that's a personal opinion and YMMV.

I would have to recommend the current production 225 as you can currently get magazines and parts for it, for now any way. I prefer to own at least 4 or 5 magazines and P239 magazines are in short supply at the moment.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I absolutely love the p239 in 9mm with Hogue G10 Grips. I never had an issue with the feel of pistol once I dumped the factory grips. However, that's a personal opinion and YMMV.

I would have to recommend the current production 225 as you can currently get magazines and parts for it, for now any way. I prefer to own at least 4 or 5 magazines and P239 magazines are in short supply at the moment.

Heard anything about the P225A1 going away???

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a house and car gun, I'd take the 225. If I were going to possibly carry it, the 239 would be my pick due to it's smaller overall size.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have both. For yr stated use, the 225 seems likely to fit the hand better.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a strictly practical standpoint, the P225A1 is probably a more sensible choice . . . just because you can still get magazines.
And the P225's I've fondled at the LGS feel really good in my hand.

But then again . . . I really like my P239's.
Great ergonomics, easy to carry, accurate as heck.
Both have SRT's and Triji_Con HD sights.
One has the factory plastic grip panels.
The other one came with the Hogue wrap-around rubber grip with the finger grooves.
It feels great, but for concealed carry I replaced the Hogue with a set of the factory plastic grip panels.
Easier to draw from concealment.

So . . .
PRACTICAL = P225A1
EMOTIONAL = P239

Just my two cents.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get the 239, I'd like to add another vote for the Hogue G10 grips. Mine came with the OEM plastic grips, which I ditched for the Hogue rubber ones with finger grooves, but when I got the G10s, it was like coming home.

Here's a pic with the G10 grips and a +1 mag extension:

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot the new 225 and since I have 3 classic 225s, I felt it was not up to the feel and performance of the classic.
I have a 239 in fo-tay. Soft shooting for the snappy .40 and great accuracy. My only complaint was the factory grip was too slick, so I bought Talon grips for it. Fixed nicely.
My choice is 239 and hustle for mags.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Regards my pistols, I already have two 239T (with the SRT and threaded barrel. One threaded barrel I switched to a regular barrel from TGS (long ago)
One 239 has Hogue rubber finger groove grips, the other now has Hogue G10. Also I have the 225A1 with the G10 grips.

I have several 239 mags including 5-6 10 rounders.
And I have several 225A magazines.
225A magazines work fine in the 239.

Both fit and feel good in my hand. The edge might go to the 225A being just a bit longer in the grip. But I do like the 239T triggers.

My concern is mainly around the obsolescence issue of the 239. And now? it was said the same re the 225?

Here is another angle - Is the original 225 any better a choice?
I have obtained at a crazy low price two original 225 magazines, one stainless, and a Pachmayr wrap-aroung grip in box.

Mags, grip, now I need the gun.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both but really miss my 225. It just seemed like the right kind of pistol-well balanced, better grip for me and has the look of a Sig pistol, not that the 239 doesn't. I also just shot better with the 225.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Er...I failed to ask in my earlier post. What in blazes does the 'T' stand for? A Google search just now yielded nothing.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have a 239 and old school 225. The 225 feels great in the hand, but so does the 239 if you fork out the cash for Nills.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Er...I failed to ask in my earlier post. What in blazes does the 'T' stand for? A Google search just now yielded nothing.

T = Tactical - It came with a threaded barrel from the factory.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wifes and I house gun is a german P225, concealed carry, Sig 365,Glock43(hers) small and light, mine HK Vp9sk.

Posts: 41 | Location: Spencerport, New York | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 239s, both sizes, and old 225s. I haven't tried G10 grips, but the Crimson Trace ones, along with the +1 mag extension, make it right. For accuracy, the 239 in 357 Sig may be my most accurate factory pistol ever. It is top heavy though, and the P6/225 does feel good in the hand. A good bit lighter, too.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post