SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X-5 vs P226 SAO Legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X-5 vs P226 SAO Legion Login/Join 
posted
Trying to decide between the P320 X-5 Legion and the P226 SAO Legion. I know it's a somewhat skewed comparison due to the SAO on the P226... but any pros/cons for/against feedback appreciated. What say y'all.

For the record, I've shot both and like both which makes the decision that much harder. Really only room in the collection for one or another, otherwise I'd gladly buy both. Thanks.

Posts: 218 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9X19mm:
Trying to decide between the P320 X-5 Legion and the P226 SAO Legion. I know it's a somewhat skewed comparison due to the SAO on the P226... but any pros/cons for/against feedback appreciated. What say y'all.

For the record, I've shot both and like both which makes the decision that much harder. Really only room in the collection for one or another, otherwise I'd gladly buy both. Thanks.

They are two completely different "disciplines" for lack of a better term.
If you want a "heavy metal" old school gun, go with the P226. (yep, P226 is old school)
If you want to jump on the wagon with the New Sheriff that is now in town, go with the P320.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Originally posted by 9X19mm:

They are two completely different "disciplines" for lack of a better term.
If you want a "heavy metal" old school gun, go with the P226. (yep, P226 is officially old school now)
If you want to jump on the wagon with the New Sheriff that is now in town, go with the P320.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
Not a direct comparison, but, I have a P229 Classic Carry and a 320X Carry. Both shoot great, no issues with feeding anything, and both are quite accurate. Both are wonderful firearms but I find myself carrying the P229 much more, and the 320 is the nightstand firearm (capacity). The 229 just handles better and feels more substantial in my hands. Your best bet is to try both and see which one handles better.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I see no metal Sigs in IDPA or USPSA (I tried one but did not stay with it.) but the plastic gun is catching on.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the 226 is a great pistol, personally I'd get the P320 legion.

The only thing I can find about the entire P320 line that annoys is the little dip in the front sight as the pistol is fired during dry fire. It's mechanical play and so far as I can tell, doesn't impact shooting, but it annoys. Other than that, the P320 is a great design. The only thing I'd change on the Legion, if I could, would be to eliminate the holes in the slide, but they seem to be in vogue these days.

I tried putting together components that would add up to the P320 Legion, and you can't buy them or assemble them for the cost; it can't be beaten. Unless you add an optic, there's really nothing left to do with the P320 legion as received. That said, there's really nothing to do with the P226 legion either, other than perhaps change sights to whatever you prefer.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve piddled with this same question. Have and like DA/SA 226s and a SAO 220. The 226 SAO seems like a logical next step, but the X5 is very tempting.

But by pondering the X5, I then start pondering a Shadow, which then leads to the new SAO Shadow. And while asking that question, the DWX comes to mind.

Ultimately, I then revert back to what I already own - momentarily - before rebooting the above cycle.

Such circular gymnastics helps me save money.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I have a P320 X5 Legion, a P320 X5, a P226 X5 Comp (SAO) and have had a P226 SAO. All are amazing to shoot. What you plan to do would matter.
I shoot the P320's in USPSA, IDPA and SC as CO guns and love em. Robert Burke has worked them and they shoot and feel awesome, for a striker.
The 226 SAO basically can be shot as a Limited minor gun, so fun, but not really a competitive platform. As a gun to go to the range and just shoot, I agree I like the feel of an all metal Sig, but needed to keep the gun numbers reasonable for domestic reasons, so I let her go.
The 226 X5 is just eye candy, and so so so fun to shoot, I keep her cuz I love her.

So what do you want to use them for ?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
While the 226 is a great pistol, personally I'd get the P320 legion.

The only thing I can find about the entire P320 line that annoys is the little dip in the front sight as the pistol is fired during dry fire. It's mechanical play and so far as I can tell, doesn't impact shooting, but it annoys. Other than that, the P320 is a great design. The only thing I'd change on the Legion, if I could, would be to eliminate the holes in the slide, but they seem to be in vogue these days.

I tried putting together components that would add up to the P320 Legion, and you can't buy them or assemble them for the cost; it can't be beaten. Unless you add an optic, there's really nothing left to do with the P320 legion as received. That said, there's really nothing to do with the P226 legion either, other than perhaps change sights to whatever you prefer.

This is how I'm leaning. I've got a few P226s and a German MS P226 X5... so I'm thinking something new might be interesting. The holes in the slide are a turn off for me to. Just another hole for dirt and debris to get in.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I’ve piddled with this same question. Have and like DA/SA 226s and a SAO 220. The 226 SAO seems like a logical next step, but the X5 is very tempting.

But by pondering the X5, I then start pondering a Shadow, which then leads to the new SAO Shadow. And while asking that question, the DWX comes to mind.

Ultimately, I then revert back to what I already own - momentarily - before rebooting the above cycle.

Such circular gymnastics helps me save money.

I like how you think. I shoot competition in IPSC and IDPA Production Class. And use CZ Shadow 2s for competition. They are great guns and hard to beat for point shoot, re-acquire shoot again.

I used to shoot my German MS X5 P226s in competition but switched to CZ Shadows are couple of years ago.

That DW DWX look killer. 2011 meets modern semi-auto.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
I have a P320 X5 Legion, a P320 X5, a P226 X5 Comp (SAO) and have had a P226 SAO. All are amazing to shoot. What you plan to do would matter.
I shoot the P320's in USPSA, IDPA and SC as CO guns and love em. Robert Burke has worked them and they shoot and feel awesome, for a striker.
The 226 SAO basically can be shot as a Limited minor gun, so fun, but not really a competitive platform. As a gun to go to the range and just shoot, I agree I like the feel of an all metal Sig, but needed to keep the gun numbers reasonable for domestic reasons, so I let her go.
The 226 X5 is just eye candy, and so so so fun to shoot, I keep her cuz I love her.

So what do you want to use them for ?

Just for a fun range gun. I shoot competition in IPSC and IDPA but use CZ Shadows. I agree with the feel of an all metal gun for competition. No comparison.

Just wondering if there were any issues or negatives with the P320 X5. Looks good, shoot good, but you never know.

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
"Just for a fun range gun. I shoot competition in IPSC and IDPA but use CZ Shadows. I agree with the feel of an all metal gun for competition. No comparison.

Just wondering if there were any issues or negatives with the P320 X5. Looks good, shoot good, but you never know."

I have many thousands of rounds through the CO gun. It has been very reliable. The big downside is the tinkering - the Robert Burke trigger, tungsten guide rod, SSI grip, mag extensions, Springer mag release. And then needing a back up gun. Stuff get expensive !.
And other strikers feel horrible to me now.

Go for it !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My 226 Legion SAO may possibly become my favorite handgun. Having learned to shoot autos with 1911's and Hi Powers it just feels natural to me. I may shoot the occasional IDPA match with it. But I look at IDPA as practice more than serious competition.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
For range fun, definitely go for the P226 SAO Legion. It's a much better feeling gun, better balanced, and with a superior trigger. The P320 Legion is better gamer gun, and thankfully there are aftermarket plates out there that can add a rear dovetail to get back up iron sights.

I do wish that we could get a TXG Wilson Combat P320 Frame that weighs the same as the Sig X Frame and has the increased grip. I'm definitely getting a different P320 because that Wilson frame maybe the best feeling polymer frame that I've wrapped my hand around. I'm just not sure if I need to go with the M18 sized or if the full size 4.7" will fix my problem.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post