SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    As much as I like the regular P365, I'm going to have to say the P365 SAS is not worth it.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As much as I like the regular P365, I'm going to have to say the P365 SAS is not worth it. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I fondled one at my LGS and the sights aligned instantly for me, however, one look down the barrel at the system used for porting and I handed the SAS back and left. I can't see any good method to easily clean that "channel".

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Perhaps to allow more gas to escape, not sure that is possible though since the port holes are a fixed diameter.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent review. I still haven't seen one in person but this answered pretty much all of my questions.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GataGunner:
How does one rack the slide with one had without a rear sight?

One doesn't. One simply owns the SAS with the expectation of being perforated by one's opponent whilst trying to pancake a mag change in the crook of one's knee.

Of course, you will be too busy contorting like a mall ninja to change the mag cross body and bleeding out to reach the realization that you paid extra for this train wreck when the standard 365 would have served you far better.

OP: that is really a great write up and thanks for sharing. Love the pics.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I love Sigs I think they are trying to get too much mileage out of this gun before other companies bring out the competition While there is nothing wrong with that approach they are stretching to release guns answering questions no one asked.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great write up.

Co-worker of mine has a P365 I have fired and it's a nice feeling pistol. Wouldn't mind picking one up for the wife to replace her P238.

Or maybe we both get P365s... Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I fondled one at my LGS and the sights aligned instantly for me, however, one look down the barrel at the system used for porting and I handed the SAS back and left. I can't see any good method to easily clean that "channel".

And this right here by itself would be enough for me not to buy one. There are other issues with this design, but to make a barrel that can't be cleaned to facilitate porting that is unnecessary and inneffective...it makes no sense to me at all. I predict a short lifespan for this product. The 365 is great as it is...the SAS is worse, for more money, with no real upside.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I realize this is intended to be a close range pistol. That said, is the FT sight adjustable in any way?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I realize this is intended to be a close range pistol. That said, is the FT sight adjustable in any way?

If there's a way to adjust it, it's top secret.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My distance vision is superb but my close up vision leaves a lot to be desired.

For someone waking up to a bump in the night, would you rather have the regular or the SAS sight if you had "my aging eyes"?

Oh yeah, the SAS sight is fiber optic charged, so it depends a lot on surrounding light. It lights up really well when you have plenty light, but in low light situation, it doesn't do very well. So, imo, true tritium night sights are better.

Q, I thought I read somewhere the “front” dot has tritium in it, and only the “rear” ring is fibre-optic only? Can you expand on this, as well as your overall impression of “learning the sights?” (I’m 51 and have been shooting standard sights my whole life. RDSes and this sight intrigue me, but I’m concerned how big of a stretch it would be to teach this old dog new tricks...)

As far as the barrel ring goes: Marketing will claim “this and such,” but after having drilled barrel ports, I guarantee the ring was a simple way to clean-up the jagged edges, inevitably left by drilling ports at an angle... Another reason to shun the ported model...

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to hear the review. I think they tried to make an Asp and nailed it (Except the translucent mag and grip thing) but I think most of us dont want an Asp except for novelty. I'd still like to bump into one and check it out but I'm not sure it would be more than a novelty atleast to me.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Great review. Validates my choice to purchase the regular model, which I love. This is absolutely the best shooting sub compact gun I have ever fired.

I like Sig's thinking on the SAS but I prefer to keep it simple and I am much more confident with the regular sights. IMO the less you have to think the better off you will be in that critical moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Top notch review, thanks. I am still in love with my regular P365, and I have no problems pocket carrying it in my "Sticky" brand pocket holster, and find it presents no snags when drawing. I also prefer the X-Ray tritium sights as well. I just feel the SAS is an answer to a non existent problem.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Perhaps to allow more gas to escape, not sure that is possible though since the port holes are a fixed diameter.

A tiny little expansion chamber of sorts.

I guess that's the idea, it certainly can't be easier to make that way.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My distance vision is superb but my close up vision leaves a lot to be desired.

For someone waking up to a bump in the night, would you rather have the regular or the SAS sight if you had "my aging eyes"?

Oh yeah, the SAS sight is fiber optic charged, so it depends a lot on surrounding light. It lights up really well when you have plenty light, but in low light situation, it doesn't do very well. So, imo, true tritium night sights are better.

Q, I thought I read somewhere the “front” dot has tritium in it, and only the “rear” ring is fibre-optic only? Can you expand on this, as well as your overall impression of “learning the sights?” (I’m 51 and have been shooting standard sights my whole life. RDSes and this sight intrigue me, but I’m concerned how big of a stretch it would be to teach this old dog new tricks...)

As far as the barrel ring goes: Marketing will claim “this and such,” but after having drilled barrel ports, I guarantee the ring was a simple way to clean-up the jagged edges, inevitably left by drilling ports at an angle... Another reason to shun the ported model...

You are right. I should have said partly fiber optic. In bright light, both the ring and the dot are extremely bright. But, in darkness, since the fiber optic part is out of commission, leaving only the tritium doing the work, they are both quite weak, making the task of finding and centering the dot difficult. The 3-dot SIGLITE is much easier to work in the dark. This is just my experience. Other folks might have a completely opposite experience.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:
...(I’m 51 and have been shooting standard sights my whole life. RDSes and this sight intrigue me, but I’m concerned how big of a stretch it would be to teach this old dog new tricks...)

I have a few more years on you and had been told about RDS years ago. I dismissed the idea until recently.

I put a RMSc on my standard 365 to try. At first, I had difficulty finding the dot. While practicing my draw, I discovered by changing the position of my hand on the grip, I could draw and the dot would be on target. After a few months, I took a 2-day tactical pistol class. It was good training and overall a great experience.

I haven't mastered a super fast draw with being on target, but my draw has improved about 90%. I now prefer the RDS over irons.

If you give it a try, give it an honest shot. Experiment with your grip, if your don't find the dot right away.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the OP for such a thorough report on the 365 SAS.

And I pretty much agree with everything posted. I'm feeling more gimmick than improvement.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conclusion:
The P365 SAS concept looks great on paper. But, in practice, the regular P365 can do everything the SAS claims, i.e., it does not snag on anything and is very controllable. At the same time, it can claim something that the SAS can't. It is easier to manipulate and less expensive. So, thumbs up for the original and thumbs down for the SAS.

Hi I'm new here due to my interest in the 365 SAS.
Any Chance Sig makes the 365 SAS without the Ported Barrel??
It seems that it'd be kind of easy in a close encounter struggle or in a car etc. to get burned by the flash from the ported barrel...

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cremaley
posted Hide Post
The P365SAS is not for everyone but its definitely for me. I now have 150 rounds through mine and love everything about it especially the recessed takedown lever and slide release button. The standard takedown lever is always in the way of my support hand thumb and I always slight shot the slide release so I don't miss the protruding button. The portal barrel does reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil in my opinion and I really like the Meprolight sight. I recently shot 100 rounds at the "Bad Guy target at 5 yards and was able to keep all 100 rounds in the circle around his face dumping 10 rounds magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger. Once you understand that this is not a typical target gun but one that was made for quick target acquisition at close ranger you will appreciate what Sig has offer us.

Sig P320 X-Compact 9mm
Bul SAS 11 UL 9mm
US Army Veteran
NRA Member

"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Posts: 152 | Location: Alpharetta, Georgia. | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the detailed review and excellent photos.. Whoa that barrel cutout seems crazy to me. I wonder if the bullet is scarred coming out of the SAS barrel? Looks hard to clean, and possible weak point in the barrel though with 9mm, that might not matter.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post