SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    zipper back 45 magazine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

zipper back 45 magazine? Login/Join 
Picture of chez323
posted
I have what i thought was a Sig 45 8 round magainze (zipper back) for a Sig P220. I was going thru my stuff and found it, but it does not fit in a P220...... thoughts? I've attached a pic of the mag........ only markings on it were on the bottom and simply said 45 auto.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
SHR 970 (30-06)

Posts: 385 | Location: NW PA | Registered: September 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell from the angle of your photo, but it looks like a 1911 magazine to me. Many 1911 magazines were marked .45 auto on the base plate as well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's what we commonly call dovetailed mag. The zipper back mags really look like zipper. Anyway, yours appears to be the correct German mag for the P220. What do you mean by "does not fit"? It does not insert at all?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
i inserts about 1/2 and stops cold. Will not advance the rest of the way into the magazine well.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ That's what we commonly call dovetailed mag. The zipper back mags really look like zipper. Anyway, yours appears to be the correct German mag for the P220. What do you mean by "does not fit"? It does not insert at all?

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
SHR 970 (30-06)

Posts: 385 | Location: NW PA | Registered: September 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Turn the mag around 180 and try to insert again?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
that worked however the mag does not lock in place and can be pulled free. I took a few more pics. any help is appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Push the mag release in a little when the mag stops and see if it will insert the rest of the way in.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
SHR 970 (30-06)

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chez323:
That worked, however the mag does not lock in place and can be pulled free...

Looks like a magazine for the European heel release. If you have a P220 with the American style mag release, this magazine will need some modification. The American side release magazines are newer and will have four slots cut into the front. You can try to put the proper slots in this magazine for this to work, or you could buy an earlier P220 that uses these magazines. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Were SIG mags marked like that as well, or just Browning mags?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur. Euro mag for heel of hand magazine release.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Were SIG mags marked like that as well, or just Browning mags?

I think the only mags of this vintage that weren't marked were the magazines sold with the P220s that were originally chambered in .38 Super, but were converted to 9mm for the US market.

These are marked because the multiple calibers used in the P220 required a different magazine profile.

There were also a few with the base pad covering the plate, but these are rare. I'm not sure if the plates used for these had any markings before they were covered over.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
I used to own a P220 with the European mag release. I bet that's what it went too. Forgot about it.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
SHR 970 (30-06)

posted Hide Post
Time for a sigforum karma Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post