SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Chest holster for S&W 629 Trail Boss
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chest holster for S&W 629 Trail Boss Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Looks like I'll be doing a few trips to the great north, with a week or so off up in Alaska this summer. Looking for reports of good functional chest holsters for easy access for my 629 Trail Boss. Thanks in advance folks.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I have one of these, they are really nice:

https://www.diamonddcustomleat...choice-chest-holster

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I carry chest style in a hill people chest rig. It hides the gun, has room for skittles and such and allows quick access to the roscoe. If that suites your needs this may be ideal.

While backpacking it allows a collection of items to be available while not dropping the pack...and if I drop the pack, this is a separate thing that stays with you.

For hunting you can drop your pack and you knife, licenses, camera, compass, GPS ect stays with you while the pack can do its own thing like chill where you left it.

Here is a link to greatness for your enjoyment.
link

This item works for me, I hope it does for you too.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Simply Rugged offers a chest rig. What I like about the Simply Rugged version is that it connects to their regular holsters so you can take the holster off and use it as a belt holster when you don't need the chest setup.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=160&parent=672

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, those are great options. I'm sure each one has it's benefits. Now to pick one out.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here are two more

https://www.vikingtactics.com/...vtac-bigrig-auto.htm

This is the one I have and love it. I have two , one for my superred hawk 44 when hunting and one for my sig 226 for campimg/hiking

https://gunfightersinc.com/

https://gunfightersinc.com/pro...kenai-chest-holster/

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gunfighters Kenai chest rig that I use with my 44 mag Ruger in Alaska for bear defense. I'm happy with it and it carries the substantial weight of the gun high and centered. An advantage with this system is being able to use their other GF kydex holsters with it, in my case for a HK 45.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gunfighters Inc rig is the best Kydex chest rig $$$ can buy, IMHO. If you wear your rig over your clothing or jacket, it is much more weather resistant.
If leather is your choice, go with Diamond D.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply Rugged holsters and the additional chest rig for the pancake model is a very versatile setup. The Pancake style holster for big revolvers allows for belt strong side or cross draw carry. Add the optional chest rig and you're all set. Prices and quality very good!

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:
I have one of these, they are really nice:

https://www.diamonddcustomleat...choice-chest-holster

I have one of these for my 10mm P220. Works great!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Diamond D chest rigs, one for a 6" Freedom Arms M-83. And the other for 6" N frame.

They are imho THE way to go. Especially if you need the rig for actual ACTIVITY. I used mine with a chain saw and an ax/ hand saw for a few weeks out in Western MT helping clear land and build a cabin.

In an hour one was accustomed to the rig.

We saw grizzlies three times, so the rig was very comforting...or should I say the Smith 29 IN the rig.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
Concur with GuardianAngel...I've had the Hill People Gear Kitbag for I think three summers now. Played around with a wilderness tactical safepacker, but the HPG bag is perfect for me. As GuardianAngel said, let's you have your pistol and variety of oth r necessities without your pack. Highly recommend...the price put me off for a bit, but well worth it.

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur with GuardianAngel and MWG on Hill People. Plus it is not handgun specific -- S&W .44 / Glock 10mm. You don't need two holsters.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Love my Hill People chest rig. It's my constant companion when hiking, whether it's a simple day hike or a long multi-day trip lugging a huge pack.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not exactly what others suggest, but I run a molle vest with a molle hoster on it. I prefer a vest in terms of comfort. Most of the time for real hiking I use a camelback one so I have hydration that I would carry anyway.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I think I will stick to a conventional holster vs the Hill People pack. I'd be far more adept at extracting a gun under pressure, from a holster....instead of pulling a tab or whatever on the pack rig.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Desantis makes a rig that sell for about $60 at Midway, Optics Planet, etc. They call it their Yukon model.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
After waiting to get paid for a few trips, I finally have the funds to order my holster. After all of your input I chose the Gunfighters Kenai. It should be here in a few days, and I’ll give a report on how she fits. Thx everyone.

FBLM LGB!

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I carry chest style in a hill people chest rig. It hides the gun, has room for skittles and such and allows quick access to the roscoe. If that suites your needs this may be ideal.

While backpacking it allows a collection of items to be available while not dropping the pack...and if I drop the pack, this is a separate thing that stays with you.

For hunting you can drop your pack and you knife, licenses, camera, compass, GPS ect stays with you while the pack can do its own thing like chill where you left it.

Here is a link to greatness for your enjoyment.
link

This item works for me, I hope it does for you too.

I've been looking for something like this to carry my G20 while backpacking. Can you just reach in the side and quickly draw, or is there another step to access the pistol? Thanks.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Test fitting the holster. I’m impressed with the retention. I don’t think my pistol will fall out. Now to try it out on a hike.

FBLM LGB!