SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ion Bond PPS & DPM Recoil Reduction kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ion Bond PPS & DPM Recoil Reduction kit Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I recently had my 9mm PPS M1 treated with matte black Ion Bond, the Original tennifer black had long since worn off. I also ordered one of the DPM recoil reduction kits , actually for my 40 cal PPS.

After assembling my 9mm, the next day the spring kit came in, so I wanted to test fire for function after refinish and to try the DPM unit.
I had no problems with function due to the Ion Bond, and was amazed at the level of recoil reduction after installing the DPM.

I just shot 124 gr fmj Remington, but it was so easy making multiple shots and it really improved my accuracy, no paper target testing, just plinking at the creekbank, etc.

The recoil unit does protrude from the end of the slide on the PPS, model. You may or may no like the looks, but it works. On other models, I think it fits flush. it was about $90 shipped, from Greece to USA and took about 2 weeks after ordering.

And my MTR Custom Leather holster IWB .

What I really like about the Ion Bond treatment, is it does not show any holster wear. This is the 3rd pistol I have had the slide/barrel (polymer frames) treated, and have been really pleased with this finish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunset, I got one a little more than a year ago; bought it from an Israeli company, and yes, it came from Greece. I thought I had been sent a wrong size and thus never used it. So, reading your post I am incouraged to dig-it-out and try it on my PPS.
Thank you!

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunset, there are 2 springs with the kit I got for my PPS, one a bit longer than the other. Which one of the 2 have you found to be your preferred ?

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It took some digging in the instruction manual, but the longer spring is for hotter loads.

I installed the longer spring, and have only shot standard pressure loads,mand it worked fine.

I am not one to shoot +P ammo from any of my pistols, but I may try Ruger's ARX 9mm +P new ammo for function. The manual also stated either spring may not work for light , underpowered loads.

Be sure to really lubricate the whole spring system prior to installing and using it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I had no problems with function due to the Ion Bond

I have had 3 1911's with different combinations of Ion Bond and hard chrome (1 IB slide, 1 IB frame, and 1 all IB). Don Williams handled the work on all three, and IIRC, there was little to nothing he had to do when they came back from the IB treatment. As you know, it is an industrial molecular level treatment (used for machine cutters), very little thickness added. It is also an oil sponge.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I tried the DPM Recoil unit in my 40 cal PPS today, 25 rounds of 180 gr jhp Winchester,not quite the dramatic rate of reduction compared to the 9mm, but the 40 "jolt " is gone. Still a push, but it justs seems an instant.

I had trigger sting with the factory recoil unit, but not with the DPM unit. This recoil reduction unit is making it hard for me to choose which PPS to carry!

美しい犬