SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally saw an HK SP5 in person, actually two.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally saw an HK SP5 in person, actually two. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the good input.
Please keep your experiences coming.
By the way, I plan not to be using a red dot, just the iron sights.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I ordered my retractable brace from Safety Harbor, they were out of the tailhook piece. Ordered mine over the phone, and just went ahead and paid for the whole setup to be sent to me when they got the Tailhook back in stock. I think it was a week or two of waiting.....no biggie!!

This unit does exactly what I was wanting, and the build quality, fit, and finish is outstanding. I did have to do a little round file work for the pin to go in and out smoothly.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But in any case with an optic on a rail this combo is not very good in case that's what one is considering.

Yeah, I never considered a rail/optic setup for my SP5. The iron sights are great. I actually replaced the castle rear drum sight with a diopter one. A world of difference.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
The local gunshop has two of them in stock. I'm fighting the urge to buy one.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did have to do a little round file work for the pin to go in and out smoothly.

On my brace mount I unfortunately had to do a considerable amount of 'adjustment' with a couple of round files. Now I'm trying to figure out how to shim the thing to calm down the wobbling, not that it's too horrendous, just irritating. Frown

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. OP here.
Thanks for all of the experience.
I am a little discouraged that enough folks have had some issues, given my ability to screw up most anything, and having taken our a mortgage for the SP5 and a bunch of mags.
Any suggestion on the easiest set up that is still solid?
I won't use a red dot, so don't need to take the height into effect.
Much appreciated.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Hmmm. OP here.
I am a little discouraged that enough folks have had some issues, given my ability to screw up most anything, and having taken our a mortgage for the SP5 and a bunch of mags.
Much appreciated.

Confusing post, I thought Lefty Sig was the OP.

You're discouraged by what issues? For a brace?

I have no issues with mine. It works great.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its the posts above with the talk about "files" and "adjustment" and "shimming".
To the question I have run the SB Tactical and had no installation issues. Its tight, but workable. too low for an optic but you don't care on that.
I have run the spuhr and had no issues. again its a bit tight but runs perfect with an MRO in a low mount and an SB tactical AR brace.
I have run a 1913 adapter and a SB or sig 1913 brace. Again gets you a decent option for height. no install issues.

There are probably a zillion other choices but those have worked for me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Hmmm. OP here.
Much appreciated.

Confusing post, I thought Lefty Sig was the OP.

You're discouraged by what issues? For a brace?

I have no issues with mine. It works great.

My bad.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I think its the posts above with the talk about "files" and "adjustment" and "shimming".
To the question I have run the SB Tactical and had no installation issues. Its tight, but workable. too low for an optic but you don't care on that.
I have run the spuhr and had no issues. again its a bit tight but runs perfect with an MRO in a low mount and an SB tactical AR brace.
I have run a 1913 adapter and a SB or sig 1913 brace. Again gets you a decent option for height. no install issues.

There are probably a zillion other choices but those have worked for me.

Much appreciated. I have an SB Tactical so feel comfortable with that.

posted Hide Post
One of them sold last Friday, and the store owner made me a deal this week. He reduced the price and took an AR I bought from him earlier this year back in trade at full original price. I had a net price in mind going in, and he came in under. Plus I saved the sales tax on the amount offset by the trade.

Ordered the HK-Parts B&T/SB brace and it arrives in the next couple days. Really want a telescoper but the good ones are hard to get right now.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How's the recoil with the brace? My lgs has a few and I'm considering it.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone has a different sense of recoil. Me personally I think these type of guns in 9mm have essentially minimal doesn't matter if its SP5, MPX, APC, CMMG, cz, AR9, etc. etc. I have them all and none bother me. But we have had several discussions here at SF in that past that are probably still searchable that some people don't like the blowback versions like the CZ or a Colt AR9. In those discussions lots of people thought the SP5 (MP5 clones) were the softest of the soft.

posted Hide Post
To me, the recoil is really insignificant, and I use only Winchester NATO 124gr rounds in one of mine. The MP5 guns are a roller delayed action which helps with recoil. Also, these guns are NOT featherweight weapons, they are quite hefty.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
How's the recoil with the brace? My lgs has a few and I'm considering it.

Before getting my SP5, I have fired a roller delayed action firearm once, a Zenith, all others blowback ones (Beretta CX4, CZ Scorpion, B&T ACP9). The SP5 is very light in recoil compared to the blowbacks. My Scorpion is still a cool gun, but the SP5 puts a smile on my face.

posted Hide Post
I shot my buddies today, I thought the trigger was really good, great balance and accurate as hell. The only negative to me was the rear iron sight, I found the slot a bit difficult to pick up. Albeit I was indoors. I want one!!!!!!!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an optic on any and everything, but oddball changed his rear sight and that may be a direction to address your issue.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the stock castle rear drum (open sights) was awful.

On the HK forum, everyone replaced their castle sight with a diopter one like these available from HKParts

And I now get the original MP5 sight picture

posted Hide Post
Of course you would be 5x faster and 10x more accurate with an aimpoint on there, but some are just plain traditionalists....

posted Hide Post
I have optics on one of mine and the diopter sight on the other. The best of both Worlds!!