SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally saw an HK SP5 in person, actually two.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally saw an HK SP5 in person, actually two. Login/Join 
posted
LGS has two SP5's in stock. Saw them on Saturday and they are really really nice. Outstanding quality and IMO worth the price, if they were marked at list or typical discount. Remarkably lighter than expected and the 8" barrel is fine, although I would prefer the new SP5K. Triggers are a bit heavy and gritty though.

Price is WAY over retail because of the going rates on gunbroker, so none for me at this time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the GB pricing is crazy brutal. Our HK rep has been rather kind to our shop; we've had a decent number of the early SP5K and then the SP5 came through in the past, though not many recently. So far only a couple of the SP5K-PDW have been sent our way, one of which I finally caved and claimed for myself. Our pricing has been more than far (when I originally set our prices), but our manager decided we were leaving too much on the table compared to internet pricing. We're nowhere close to GB levels, but it still doesn't feel completely guilt and slime-free to me, but I also don't write the checks.

I'm still learning the gun; it's been trial and error with getting the RIGHT optic rail; no relatively mindless AR-simple with this platform. I first ordered one for the wrong SP5 variant (DOH!), then I ordered a second that wasn't co-witness capable with a low-mount Aimpoint Micro (Double DOH!). Hopefully the inbound brace support for the Gear Head Works Mod1 Tailhook brace goes better and I won't wind up ordering a second...or a third(!) like I'm going to wind up doing for the optic rail. Now all I need is the batch of magazines that I ordered from HK to show up so I can pick up a few for my own use.

The handguard on mine is rather rattly; not sure if it's supposed to be like that but as-is it's kinda annoying for such a spendy firearm. However the meh trigger is what it is; I'd already shot the SP5K (and the SP89 many years before that) prior to buying my PDW so I already knew what I was buying into.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they dropped the price by about 30% so they are now marked at a common buy-it-now price on GB, which is a few hundred higher than the most common GB opening price.

I've known the store owner for several years and he's pretty honest and not a stereotypical gunshop dude. He said he had to pay the equivalent of retail list to get them from the distributor and he wants a 20% margin. Can't argue he needs to make money because inventory has been an issue for a while like at most shops.

But that still puts it quite a bit over retail. I want one, sure. I'd like an SP5K-PDW even more. Never saw any of them in person (just the old SP5K that had too many compromises at the HK booth at NRA 2019) and they are just so much better quality than any of the copies.

Decisions decisions.

Monoblock - if you don't mind can you PM me about pricing at your store so I have a realistic comparison? Thanks.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Triggers are a bit heavy and gritty though.

That's pretty standard H&K stuff right there.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want one, then take a deep breath and just do it!!! You won't get hurt on it if you decide to sell it down the line(I doubt that you will want to part with it). Life is short and we have to have fun from time to time, or life gets really boring.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are MP5/SP5 clones, by Zenith (MKE in Turkey) but they are not exporting right now. The American made PTR 9c 600, or the PTR 9ct 601, may be easier to find and are in the $1800 price range for the basic models. HK SP5 MSRP is $2799! That is way overpriced, IMO.

Posts: 188 | Registered: August 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldjarhead:
There are MP5/SP5 clones, by Zenith (MKE in Turkey) but they are not exporting right now. The American made PTR 9c 600, or the PTR 9ct 601, may be easier to find and are in the $1800 price range for the basic models. HK SP5 MSRP is $2799! That is way overpriced, IMO.

No, I don't want a copy.

posted Hide Post
got to pay to play. If I saw a reasonably priced one I would buy it. where are these. MSRP has no meaning in this market. I have 2 one at retail before the nonsense one at GB prices. I doubt they are going down in price soon or maybe ever. My local dealer offered to buy the one I got at retail at what I paid plus $1K for a regular customer who was 'anxious'.
I did also get a PTR to use in matches since I was not that anxious about tossing the HK on the ground and I have found it to be very, very good.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
got to pay to play. If I saw a reasonably priced one I would buy it. where are these. MSRP has no meaning in this market.

$3499, down from $4999. Still a lot over retail, but more or less market price.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Monoblock - if you don't mind can you PM me about pricing at your store so I have a realistic comparison? Thanks.

SP5K; when we had them we sold them at $2299

SP5; last one sold for $2699. Considering how many we've received in the past year I suspect that HK-USA may decide that we've had more than enough and that it's time that other authorized dealers have their chance at getting some.

SP5K-PDW; $2899. Like the SP5, based on my conversations with our HK rep, at this time I don't expect our shop to get any more before the first of next year.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $2699 I would have it already. For S3499 it's just a bit too high...

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Picked my SP5 for $2400. Well worth the price. My favorite SBR.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Picked my SP5 for $2400. Well worth the price. My favorite SBR.

I would pay that no problem. It's a fair price. I was dumb and decided to wait for a new SP5K-PDW. After handling the SP5, the extra 3-4" of barrel is no problem.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
they look cool but you will get bored with it, I did mine.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brace do folks recommend for the SP5?
And how easy is the attachment? Any adaptor or modification needed?
TIA.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Spuhr R300 with the Sb tactical brace. Works about perfectly for the height of the optic I use. I tried the HK PDW and its simply too low to work for me. as was the SBT5a. Mount the adapter, add a buffer tube and the SB and have fun. bring money.

posted Hide Post
I use the Safety Harbor retractable brace with a Tailhook end piece. I am 100% pleased with it. It is spendy!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
What brace do folks recommend for the SP5?
And how easy is the attachment? Any adaptor or modification needed?
TIA.

I installed a SB Tactical HK PDW brace onto my SP5

I like this brace, have a similar one on my Scorpion (came stock with my Micro). I had to modify the brace rear plate. I removed the bottom left screw and removed some of the plastic buffer in the lower left, basically drilled it out. I actually drilled out a tiny bit more than the photo. It slides on without any difficulty.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't recall that I had to modify mine to make it fit, I'll have to go look. But in any case with an optic on a rail this combo is not very good in case that's what one is considering.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I use the Safety Harbor retractable brace with a Tailhook end piece. I am 100% pleased with it. It is spendy!!

That was the setup I wanted, but they were out of stock on the telescoping mount, plus my SP5K-PDW uses two cross pins for the back plate instead of the single pin that the SP5 has.

So I went with this folder setup with the Tailhook instead:

I like the Tailhook a lot, both in look and feel. But this particular brace mount leaves something to be desired. Bought from HKparts; according to them they purportedly went to the creators of the Tailhook to collaborate on making this device. I don't know who actually fabricated this mount but it's nowhere close to the quality of the Tailhook brace itself. The two pins that hold the PDW's rear plate in place are supposed to sleeve through similar aligned mounting holes that built into the mount, except when they made this damn thing they forgot/neglected to correctly ALIGN those sleeve points with the points on the actual gun. Sad to say a fair bit of required smithing was done to the mount in order to get this bloody mess to work on the PDW.

Frankly the poor quality of the metalwork that constitutes the sleeve points looks like something that could've been made in the PRC...as a counterfeit piece. Like a 'Rolex' bought on a street corner for $40. I had to elongate those sleeving holes in two-axes (axi?) in order to get those pins to pass through properly. Unfortunately that also wound up introducing a bit of wobble to the finished 'product' as a result. I should've just returned it to HKparts but impatience is one of my character flaws...nonetheless this brace mount is not something I wish on anyone else. At least it deploys quickly.

I will admit however that I kind of like the cast-off that the support bar has molded into it (slight curvature to the right as it comes rearward). Works quite well at getting my right eye straight onto the sights; well at least it does it for right-handed shooters. As for the mount issues; maybe the one I got was just a one-off disaster. Or maybe it's endemic. Who knows for sure? But based on the annoyance I went through I wouldn't recommend this brace mount to anyone.

-MG