SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Getting rounds out of an overloaded 1911 mag?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting rounds out of an overloaded 1911 mag? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
So I'm pretty sure I overstuffed a .40 1911 mag last night, because when I went to unload the mag, I couldn't manually strip rounds out of it and somehow 25 rounds were out of the box and 3 8 rounders should be 24.

Pretty sure I jammed a 9th round in the mag with the help of a LULA and the two-piece follower has been bent to accommodate the extra round. Round seems to have its rim stuck against the feed lips in such a way that it won't move forward.

Can't take the floorplate off and I'm really leery of sticking a screwdriver or something in behind the top round and prying it out for fear of setting off the primer. I can get a tiny bit of pressure off by compressing the spring some more.

Suggestions? (Mag is a Mec-gar 8 round .40 mag, FYI.)

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can see the edges of two pieces of brass through a witness hole, you MIGHT be able to get enough downward pressure on the side of the case with a small screwdriver to take a bit off the feed lips and push the top round out.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Will the gun strip it off? I.e. lock the slide back, insert mag, let slide forward..

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That little .40 caliber round wants out. You might try banging the front of the mag tube hard against your hand. Hard enough and it may fly out. Its not going to blow. There generally is enough space where I doubt you damaged the follower.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The newer model UPLULA loaders have a little notch thingie on the back side that is designed to strip rounds. You might give that a try.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
UPLULA worked!

Thanks.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post