SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    92X QC Issues
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

92X QC Issues Login/Join 
posted
I just picked a 92x Centurion that was manufactured In 2020 at the Tennessee plant. The muzzle where the barrel protrudes from the slide is horribly misaligned. It pains me to even look at it . I haven’t shot it yet, so accuracy is unknown. I’m surprised this sample made it through final QC. After receiving my bad sample I started to dive deeper into the issue. It appears im not alone. The TN factory has had some issues with the 92x line particularly . I’m not happy. Anyone else have issues ? Anyone know how Beretta is handling these ?

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
It looks like that pops up on other models as well https://www.google.com/search?...ligned+barrel+muzzle

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Turkish Girsan "Regard" clones of the Beretta 92. QC on mine is first rate and the barrel is perfectly centered. Curious and depressing at the same time, since Beretta is supposed to be the go-to source for these.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been discussed on the Beretta Forum quite often And I hope PGT will be along to add his input. Beretta's position on this topic has been that the visual alignment of the barrel does not affect accuracy and I would suggest shooting your new Centurion to determine for yourself whether this is true or not. Everything else being equal you can contact Beretta and they will square you away.

Also, some of the folks on the Beretta Forum have played around with parts to try to either pin down the culprit or to resolve this alignment issue. If I recall correctly they found that the locking block was the cause and if you swapped out the block for another you would find the barrel alignment would appear to be truer. This makes sense since the barrel really only comes into contact with the block and the block connects to the slide (not including where the chamber meets the breech).

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My made in the US LTT that I traded for slightly used has a rough bore that looks like it was rifled with a giant kidney stone.

Even with very little sign of being fired the bore was dirty and took a lot of time to clean when I got it. Seems most LTT stainless barrels are reported to be rough but it doesn't affect accuracy. Still looks terrible though.

Overall quality of machining and other details is below that of my made in Italy M9A3. Noticeably so.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally normal and doesn’t affect accuracy.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. Report back with your results. This is right up there with Glock pig nose or whatever they called it. Who cares. The locking block explanation makes sense. You certainly could try that, they are cheap.

I own over a half dozen 92 variants and I have never even thought to look for this. “Horribly misaligned”. I chuckle even typing that. But did you die?

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would be curious to know if changing the locking block and thereby changing the orientation of the barrel in the slide and its angle with respect to the sights would affect the point of impact.
Has anyone who changed the block noticed any POI shift?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
"horribly misaligned" in the vertical or horizontal plane?

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of this issue to have a better understanding of it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up here are a couple links.

The first is to the Beretta Forum discussing this issue.
https://berettaforum.net/vb/sh...ght=Barrel+alignment

The second is to the Beretta USA website.
http://www.berettasupport.com/.../pg_ask_question.htm

Edit to add direct quote from Beretta;

“ Frequently, our technical division receives inquiries from concerned consumers, stating that the end of the barrel on their Beretta 90-series pistol is not centered in the end of the slide (as depicted below). Owners are often worried that this feature is a defect, and/or will negatively impact accuracy or safe function. Fortunately, this is not the case.

This feature is a normal characteristic of a 90-series pistol. The barrel is secured in to position by the locking block design, which, in turn, holds the barrel firmly within the slide when in battery. However, the orientation of this mechanism often results in the barrel resting off-center within the assembly. This condition does not have a negative impact the accuracy, nor does it negatively affect the functionality of the firearm. Some pistol designs employ the use of barrel bushings (such as in a 1911) or other component, which often results in uniform parallel alignment between the barrel and slide. However, 90-Series pistols conspicuously omit these features.

Subjectively, this feature may render the firearm less than aesthetically pleasing, however, no corrective action is necessary. Notably, heavy usage will often result in a somewhat oblong or rectangular wear pattern in the parkerized/anodized finish of the barrel, manifesting at the point where the barrel contacts the side of the slide, or along the barrel top, where the “bridge” maintaining the front sight post rubs along the barrel. This can be maintained by oiling the barrel with a moisture displacing lubricant, as is routine in firearm maintenance. Doing so will prevent the barrel from developing rust. If the consumer wishes, the barrel may be re-finished as needed. However, this is typically at the cost of the consumer, and the wear pattern is likely to re-develop during normal use.

Models affected include, but are not necessarily limited to:

92FS, 92A1, M9A1, M9A3, M9 Commercial, 90-TWO, 92X, etc.

All 90-series pistols are proven designs that meet military, law enforcement and commercial requirements for reliability and accuracy. However, if the need for gunsmithing services remains/becomes evident, please contact us at 1-800-BERETTA, ext. 2003. Please have your serial number prepared.”

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Several photos of others' complaints here:

https://www.google.com/search?...EB4&biw=1920&bih=966

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is pretty awful. I’m having some issues posting photos but if someone wants to email me I could forward them for posting. I also have another website where I posted photos but not sure if posting links to other websites is appreciated

posted Hide Post
Shoot the pistol. If it goes bang every time and is acceptably accurate, forget about it.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I remember,every Beretta 92 series I owned and still own, the barrel was/is not straight to the center of the slide opening/hole. With that said, everyone I have shot, shoots to point of aim and eats whatever I put through it. It's just the design.

I would be more concerned with some of the frames I have seen from Tenn. on the M9A3 pistols, that were not milled correctly and are way off. To me, the barrel being slightly off center seems like a non-issue.

A nib Sig pistol can have "smileys" all over the barrel without even firing a round through it. I know as I have had a couple and racked the slide a few times and you could see the "smileys" develop. Did I worry about it? No,as every pistol will show wear in different spots but the Sig runs like a top and also shoots like a laser. If the tolerances were tight, there would be a lot more issues with them.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non-issue to me. I've multiple guns from multiple manufacturers that have barrels that appear to be non-concentric with the muzzle opening in the slide. Yet all quite shockingly (not really THAT shocking) shoot to point-of-aim anyways, refuting any notion that such a trait is automatically symptomatic of a less-than-accurate shooting pistol.

I won't say that your Beretta is going to be a dead-on accurate shooter, but I also won't say it's not either. That proof is in your results; until you shoot the thing and see the evidence in your targets it's all just a lot of nonsense conjecture on how "bad" any of this really is.

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Don’t feel too bad. I recently went to install a Wilson Combat mag guide to my 92X compact and discovered that it’s locking pin hole didn’t align with that on the 92X frame. So much QA, right?

Changing the locking block may help. There are a few Beretta armorers who can accurize your 92X by installing a barrel bushing which will also appease the aesthetic issue. If the gun currently shoots to its sights, don’t mess with it.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt it affects POI at all. Locking blocks get replaced all the time. It’s a replaceable wear item. I have never heard of anyone even suggesting an issue. I have never changed a locking block myself, even though I keep spares, because I will change one when it cracks. I have however swapped barrels with no change to POI.

To the OP, I get it, it looks bad to you but get over it. It has no practical effect at all. At all. If it bugs you so much get rid of it but it is a non issue.

I looked at sigfruends linked pictures. Those people need to get a life. Horribly misaligned, the horror. These are the kind of threads that annoy the shit out of me. Problem was mentioned. The manufacturers take on it was stated. Consternation for a non issue still continues. Plus as an added what the fuck, when the OP bought the gun it had the same exact “issue”. For fucks sake people, look your gun over before you buy it. Or as an alternate idea, shoot the damn thing before you decide if it’s defective.

It’s not defective. Put it in exchange for a defective gun price and see how long it lasts. Oh yea, it’ll shoot steel cases ammo just fine too. Lol. It’s not a QC issue. Read what Beretta says about this “issue”.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
Mine is pretty awful. I’m having some issues posting photos but if someone wants to email me I could forward them for posting. I also have another website where I posted photos but not sure if posting links to other websites is appreciated

I'd return it, or send it to the factory to fix it if it cannot be returned.....if you ever go to sell the gun it will effect resale and you'll never enjoy the gun because you know it's there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory won’t fix it. There’s nothing to fix. They consider it within spec. As for horribly misaligned, give me a break. You guys are acting like the opening on the slide is the Lincoln Tunnel. This is a massive non issue. The gun locks up on the locking block. Don’t believe me? Take the barrel out and place it in frame. That is how it locks up. If, if it shoots off center then drift the sights. Problem solved just like in a Browning action. This wouldn’t affect resale value in the slightest. A used 92 is a used 92. There’s only two guarantees about this gun. It will run and someone will tell you a bullshit Internet story about how awful they are.

Go look at the linked pictures of misaligned barrels and come back and tell everyone how awful they are. Oh brother.

posted Hide Post
I'm still having trouble posting pics on this site, but I wanted ya'll to see it at least. I posted a few pics on another forum. If links from other forums are frowned upon please let me know and Ill delete it.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/f...?194196-92X-QC-Issue