SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do any LEO agencies or groups use 10mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any LEO agencies or groups use 10mm Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
does anyone know of any LEO issuing 10mm?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I do not believe there are any large scale 10mm users these days.

If I remember correctly, the last large user was the KY State Police. They have been out of the 10 mil game for over 10 years.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naa, man.
10mm? We’re just shooting bad-guys.
Superman is on OUR side!
Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

Seems to be only a few, often in an area where they could deal with large critters, bears.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A female shooter at our local range, who was helping me pick up my brass, referred to it as the "40 Super". Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I do not believe there are any large scale 10mm users these days.

If I remember correctly, the last large user was the KY State Police. They have been out of the 10 mil game for over 10 years.

WOW! I cannot believe there was 10mm use that recently, especially for an area not known for super duper scary critters (Alaska/Wyoming etc.)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some FBI offices still have 10mm MP5/10s available for issue to agents, but their use has been mostly superceded by ARs. (And those are SMGs, not pistols anyway.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I didn't expect there would be any, just curious really.

With even .40 and .45 seeming to be replaced everywhere with 9mm I didn't think a niche round like 10mm would have much representation

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even our Fish and Game guys dont do it which I thought they might.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a US LE agency but; I think the Rangers patrolling the wilds of Greenland do...G20 according to the Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Dog_Sled_Patrol

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
Sonny Crockett ... Miami Vice!!!

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KY has super-duper scary critters. Just find the nearest trailer park.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Brick Twp PD in NJ carried the 10mm via the Glock 20 for a while. They transitioned to .40 about 2010 as well.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read about some departments authorizing it for carry in personally owned weapons, but there are few if any departments issuing firearms chambered in 10mm.

9mm and .40 are still the kings of LE and I suspect they will be for a long time. Interestingly, I thought my agency would be switching from the .40 p226 to a p320 in 9mm, but they are just upgrading to a p226r in .40 with the srt and x-rays. I'm happy either way.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I remember correctly, the last large user was the KY State Police.

I believe you may be thinking of the .357 Sig.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
We still authorize it and provide ammo for any officers wanting to carry it. It's not our primary issue but we allow 9, 357sig, 40, 10 and .45. I'd say we're about 50% 40 as that's what we issue out of the academy still. Prob 20% 9, 20% 45 and the rest scattered between .357/10mm.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
quote:
If I remember correctly, the last large user was the KY State Police.

I believe you may be thinking of the .357 Sig.

?

KSP never issued or allowed the 357 SIG. they transitioned from
The Smith and Wesson 66, to the Smith and Wesson 686. They then transitioned to the 1076 10mm. It was around 1991. In the late 2000s, they briefly transitioned to the 4566 .45 ACP. Due to some (ahem) issues, they ditched the 4566 and transitioned to the Glock 35. They had the Glock 35 until 2017 when they transitioned to the Gen4 Glock 17.

So, with that being said, KSP was the last large scale user of the 1076 10mm. I wore out a 1076 in the late 90s shooting with KSP SRT. I shot lots of 10mm during that time on the states dime. Shot lots of .40 as well during the time I was a guest instructor at the KSP Academy during cadet classes 87 and 88. Good times.

The 357 SIG is still in use by the Federal Air Marshals. For a little while longer......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I just saw a CHP Special Edition Smith and Wesson 1006 for sale on a local forum. I'm not sure if CHP ever issued them.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
I just saw a CHP Special Edition Smith and Wesson 1006 for sale on a local forum. I'm not sure if CHP ever issued them.

CHP issued the 4006 before transitioning to the M&P .40, they never issued or authorized the 1006.

Posts: 470 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:

CHP issued the 4006 before transitioning to the M&P .40, they never issued or authorized the 1006.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post