SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry guns: Red dot? Light? both?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry guns: Red dot? Light? both? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I carried a P-09 with RDS and TLR in a Phlster holster for most of the year. I'm a big guy and found it surprisingly easy to conceal.

I'm now testing a PX4C with RDS in a JMCK holster. It's a bit easier.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
There always seem to be one guy that reports everything that could possibly go wrong does go wrong in every optic thread.

Isn’t there a Charlie Brown character that always has a cloud following him?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Andy Capp's Joe Btfsplk

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mid-90’s, my wife gave me a TiVo DVR for Xmas. A bit later she gave me an inexpensive surround sound / DVD combo.

Both toys, especially the DVR, were cool and changed how we watched TV. But they also introduced a new dynamic of complexity & occasional frustration regarding connectivity, remote control, placement of equipment, etc. And such only worsened over the next decade with the intro of plasma displays, HD programming,...At times, I would fondly recall the simple days of just plugging the coax straight into that old 4:3 TV.

I plan to go to the range briefly today. My plan is / was to finally try the new RX slide that I bought in late summer for a new rail-less 226 (Classic Carry) that I bought to serve as a host. So far, I’ve yet to take that new slide to the range on earlier outings and, as I type this, I’m once again tempted to instead take the 220 or old 226 or the new 226 with standard slide.

I know that the RX will be appreciated by my aging eyes. But I’m just reluctant to “hook up that TiVo” and go down that road. Plus, the RX really makes a mess of the otherwise classic line of a rail-less Sig. It looks like something from a 1960’s rerun of “Lost in Space”.

Sometimes it’s not a matter of whether Porsche CAN add cup holders to a 911 nor is it a matter of whether said holders CAN improve the quality of one’s life. Sometimes it is instead a matter of whether one SHOULD.

I’ll update if I follow thru on my plan to try out this $300 new toy that is otherwise collecting dust.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Isn’t there a Charlie Brown character that always has a cloud following him?

There's Pigpen, but that's a dirt cloud, not a storm cloud. He's not grumpy, just grubby.

You might be thinking of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh, who's always depressed and often has a personal rain cloud hanging over him.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I prefer less bulk in a carry gun and keeping it simple.

Me as well. When I carry, it is lean and minimal, a G43 with night sights, no WML, just a hand held light in case. But I recognize the advances that the handgun RDS world has made in recent years, having just purchased a G17 MOS. Just taking some time researching and deciding on my first RDS.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you carry a Glock or other modern Compact pistol IWB, there are compact pistol lights (XC1, TLR-5/7, APLC) that are so small, you won't be able to tell any appreciable difference in with / without.

Sure, a full X300 / TLR1 will be more bulky, but with the compact lights there is essentially no difference.

Every carry / house gun of mine has a light and I give no thought to add 'bulk', because there isn't any.

I'm not on the RDS train yet, as I was about to try an RMR and then the SRO/Acros came out, so I'm going to let the dust settle first.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing that PigPen hasn’t cleaned his 229 in several years - and he’s quite proud of that fact.

posted Hide Post
A lot of holsters I have bought recently for my guns with lights are already molded to accept an RMR.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would note that in the competitive shooting I do I have never seen an iron sighted gun beat the optic guys in any course of fire...(snip)......And the optics people always win.

The majority of my competitive shooting is IDPA, but I also shoot USPSA every now and then. Interestingly, my results have been quite the opposite. The only CO shooter who beats me is a Master, and I'm only an Expert-level shooter. Otherwise I'm ahead of all the other CO shooters with an iron-sighted DA/SA gun.
I would offer that those same optics shooters of yours would still beat everyone else if they shot iron-sighted guns.
Indian vs. Arrow.
But I'll say that all things being equal, the dot is faster - if your fundamentals are sound.

To the OP's question...
The vast majority of my carry guns are iron-sighted and no light or red dot, with a light in my pocket.

With that being said, Red dot reliability has come a long way - (I lost track of how may Hilton Yam killed in his years of testing. Big Grin ) - to the point that I've picked up a RX upper for my 320 Compact, as well as a 229 Legion RX.

As I've gotten more comfortable with the Legion, I've started carrying it more, and will next month start gaming with it.

Re: lights.
My biggest bitch is holster selection.
I have an XC1, and the TLR-7 has really caught my eye - but trying to find someone to make a holster for them for anything outside a Glock or S&W is near impossible.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
the TLR-7 has really caught my eye - but trying to find someone to make a holster for them for anything outside a Glock or S&W is near impossible.

For concealment purposes, there are a number of smaller custom kydex shops that make TLR-7 compatible holsters for more than just Glocks and S&Ws.

For duty/competition purposes, many of the TLR-1 duty/competition holsters will work with the TLR-7, like the Safariland ALS series. It depends on how tightly the light area is molded. If it's molded too tightly to specifically the TLR-1, such as if the holster has passive retention based specifically around locking around the TLR-1, it won't work. But if it has generic molding in the light area, like Safariland's offerings, the TLR-7 will work.

This is because the TLR-7 has similar height/width dimensions as the TLR-1. (Whereas something like the TLR-3 is taller than the TLR-1, so TLR-3s won't fit in TLR-1 holsters, even slightly generous ones without TLR-1 specific molding.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Daily carry G19 with night sites and a WML. Doesn't add much "unhideable" bulk.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I carry a Glock 45 MOS with a type 2 RMR and a surefire x300u (the 1000 lumen kind)

I carry off body a lot In my tactical diaper bag (I wear gym shorts and a hoodie most days), also have a shoulder rig I use under the hoodie. I have carried this set up IWB on a belt. If you have the right holster it’s no different to me than a gun without the light or rmr

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I plan to go to the range briefly today. My plan is / was to finally try the new RX slide that I bought in late summer for a new rail-less 226 (Classic Carry) that I bought to serve as a host. So far, I’ve yet to take that new slide to the range on earlier outings and, as I type this, I’m once again tempted to instead take the 220 or old 226 or the new 226 with standard slide...

I know that the RX will be appreciated by my aging eyes...I’ll update if I follow thru on my plan...

Update - I must admit I like the Romeo 1. My eyesight is good except for reading and thus it’s nice to not use reader-type shooting glasses. I can easily focus on the target with the dot. I need much more practice. But, the benefit was pretty obvious. And, I got it sighted in and the raised iron sights also seem correct.

posted Hide Post
I use a light on all my primary pistols. Exception is if I am only carrying my PPS. Whether I'm using a dot or not depends which pistol I'm carrying. So far, a couple Glock MOS guns have dots, and a milled ATEi G19X

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post