SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 LDC vrs CZ Shadow 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 LDC vrs CZ Shadow 2 Login/Join 
posted
Which pistol should I try to find for shooting IDPA?
P226 LDC or CZ Shadow 2?
First off, I am relatively new to the IDPA world and will never be able to compete at a high level. Probably never venture outside of my local range matches. I just want to get something nicer that what I have been using for the last year. I have tried Kimber 1911 9mm 5” Stainless 2, P226 West German, P229 SS Elite, Glock 17 Gen3 and lastly a Glock 34 Gen5 with Zev trigger, springs and Tungsten guide rod. (I know the rod is illegal). Just trying to keep the muzzle flip down. All of these shot great as long as went show, but had too much flip for me to get a second tap on target. The 1911 was probably the quickest, but would like to stay with a double stack to speed up reloads. I want to make one more purchase. Something that has a natural point, long and heavy for less muzzle flip and most of all, reliable. What do you all think? Has anyone had experience with both P226 LDC and Shadow 2? Thanks in advance for your advice. And Happy Memorial Day.

Posts: 125 | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KentuckyWildcat:
Which pistol should I try to find for shooting IDPA?
P226 LDC or CZ Shadow 2?
First off, I am relatively new to the IDPA world and will never be able to compete at a high level. Probably never venture outside of my local range matches. I just want to get something nicer that what I have been using for the last year. I have tried Kimber 1911 9mm 5” Stainless 2, P226 West German, P229 SS Elite, Glock 17 Gen3 and lastly a Glock 34 Gen5 with Zev trigger, springs and Tungsten guide rod. (I know the rod is illegal). Just trying to keep the muzzle flip down. All of these shot great as long as went show, but had too much flip for me to get a second tap on target. The 1911 was probably the quickest, but would like to stay with a double stack to speed up reloads. I want to make one more purchase. Something that has a natural point, long and heavy for less muzzle flip and most of all, reliable. What do you all think? Has anyone had experience with both P226 LDC and Shadow 2? Thanks in advance for your advice. And Happy Memorial Day.

Have the US LDC and the German LDC II. No experience with the CZ. But, spec-wise, the CZ appears to have the edge.

- Longer barrel (4.89 inches v. 4.4)
- Heavier (46.5 oz v. 43.4)
- Lower bore axis
- Trigger probably wins, since the US LDC stock trigger truly sucks. The German has very good trigger, however.
- Less expensive.
- If you have large hands/long fingers, then the CZ is probably better for you. Small hands, go with the LDC.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Shadow 2 is not legal in ANY division in IDPA. It likely won't be either as the Wilson's have no financial interest in making an exception.

Osage County Guns shows the unloaded weight of the LDC to be just shy of 40 ounces which would make it IDPA legal with a magazine installed. https://www.osagecountyguns.co...-sauer/sig-p226-ldc/

If you go to the link and scroll down, there's a picture of the LDC on a scale.

In a local match, either way, you probably wouldn't get called out on it. In a sanctioned match, the Shadow is an automatic DQ.

From a pure shooting aspect, I like both. The Shadow 2 has some really great handing characteristics. Add in an Apex trigger kit, and you can rock it. The LDC just needs an intermediate trigger and a 19 pound mainspring. I'm not super keen about the rear sight, but it works.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been on road. Thanks for your response. I knew that the CZ was a little too heavy. Asked my range officer and he said he did not care as long as it was safe. If I ever wanted to venture outside of our club, if would not take too much to lighten it up. Easier to take weight off than to add it. Slide cuts or maybe a little material out of the inside of the dust cover. I work in a machine shop. I have always liked Sig. If I had some trigger work done to the Sig, would it shoot as level and as good as the CZ? My only negative on the CZ (from research) is the poly coated frame. Why would you take a good nitride treated frame and “paint” it??? I have never owned or shot a CZ. But I am open to new experiences, even at my old age.

Posts: 125 | Registered: May 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outside of IDPA I'd get the CZ every time, it dominates USPSA production for good reason. Taking weight off for IDPA is an option, slide cuts probably best. I work with a USPSA GM who did that so he could make weight for the optics division. Though since your local club doesn't care I wouldn't bother.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Of all my pistols, I can get my Shadow 2 back on target quicker for the next shot. For me it's the weight, balance and overall feel of the gun in my hands.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Rules matter. Even at the local level.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Rules matter. Even at the local level.

While I agree with you in practice, I would rather see shooters show up to local matches and shoot whatever. I more interested in local matches drawing people into the sport.

IDPA does a great job of driving shooters away, and I really hate that. My club recently dropped IDPA because it is so silly rule laden that it has become unfriendly to new shooters.

Not meaning to be preachy, I just want more shooters into the local level with whatever they bring.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I loved shooting IDPA, more so that USPSA, even with the rules. Seemed like every shot counted more and I didn’t burn through so much ammo as I did shooting USPSA.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've been at this gun game for fifty plus years, since I was a teenager.

Shot some steel challenge a few years ago, local matches probably like the OP's situation. Be Safe and we don't care what You shoot. As it's all for fun.

I have a pair of first Gen X-5 an All Around and a SAO Comp gun. I loved shooting either one for steel. Then I bought a CZ 75B. Then an SP01, then a Shadow 2! The X series guns seldom see any use at all. That S-2 is THE tool for the job.

Or...Buy an SP01 and send it off to Cajun Gun Works for their accuracy barrel bushing and trigger job. You will get basically an S-2 but with a much better trigger.

CZ's are some great pistols. Buy one it will not be your last. They are addictive.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post