SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Training with a Glock 17 G4 on the VirTra 300
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Training with a Glock 17 G4 on the VirTra 300 Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I was able to attend a training session today with our local sheriff’s department using a G17 on the VirTra 300. I don’t own a G17 so I was expecting some accuracy issues as I was getting used to it. I was wrong. The G17 waas accurate and pointed very well - it made me look good.

If you’re interested in the V300 (no ties to them), I’ve provided a link to a YouTube video that shows several scenarios (Skip to 5:50 to start everything). One scenario they ran me through starts at 17:50. The scenario immediately after is in the Matheson Courthouse in Salt Lake City.

Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHaMdQmRUy4

Link: https://www.virtra.com/v-300

My takeaways:

1. I really like the Glock 17. I’ve thought of getting a 5” PPQ M2 but I may buy the G17 now.

2. If you have a chance, the Virtra 300 is something you ought to try. It’s not the be all and end all of training but it is an interesting tool.

PS Ignore the guys and their commentary and concentrate on the scenarios.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Orlando and the Gander Mountain Firearms Academy in Lake Mary was in Business they had that brand of simulator. I went a few times. Great experience. Wish they hadn’t gone out of business.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think those "trainers" have a lot of relationship to the actual accuracy one might have had shooting a firearm; the systems I've tried feel to me more like a game that gives credit if you're close. I think they're more likely to build false confidence, than anything.

As a visual aid to give a representation of a shoot/no-shoot or to demonstrate, they're okay, but to me they're more entertainment than education.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what you’ve trained with but there are a lot of agencies that use it including apparently the US Marshals. In my state, it is heavily used and they have filmed specific scenarios to represent shootings that have occurred to help train LEO.

It’s not the be all and end all of training but no specific type of training is. But to call it entertainment? No. At least not if it is run by trained officers which is what I experienced.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I don’t know what you’ve trained with but there are a lot of agencies that use it including apparently the US Marshals. In my state, it is heavily used and they have filmed specific scenarios to represent shootings that have occurred to help train LEO.

It’s not the be all and end all of training but no specific type of training is. But to call it entertainment? No. At least not if it is run by trained officers which is what I experienced.

Great training tool. Not entertainment. Especially when they hook you up to that shocker paddle thing.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post