SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    STI Staccato XL vs Wilson Combat X9L
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STI Staccato XL vs Wilson Combat X9L Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
I was finally able to go to the range recently and was able to shoot my first STI and loved it. I started looking around at models and really like the 5.4” Staccato XL. Checking around a bit on pricing brings me very close or more than the Wilson Combat EDC X9L in a 5” barrel.

I haven’t held or shot an X9L, but Wilson Combat was my first high quality 1911 and they’ve only gotten better since I spec’d my 6” Classic 15 years ago.

Any open here have any experience with either gun? Now that magazine prices for the STI are in the reasonable range now, they’ve become more appealing. Is there any other STIs I should look at instead of the XL?

Question:
Which way should I go?

Choices:
STI 2011
Wilson Combat X9L
Save the cash and get a P226RX SAO

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Another possibility, Sig Legion 226 SAO. Have one, love it and it could quite possibly become my favorite handgun.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I had one that I traded away because I thought the Mastershop X5s were getting restarted in NH. And in the price region I’m in, I could get one with a Romeo pre-installed.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
No experience with either gun. I’m in a holding pattern waiting for the CZ/Dan Wesson DWX
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one. I've got the Sig, the Wilson and have shot the STI.

I think the STI and the Wilson are a notch above the Sig Legion SAO. I have full confidence in them all.

I carry the Sig SAO as a duty gun, more rough and tumble if you will. I carry the Wilson EDCX9 for plainclothes work, as the Sig was a big heavy for my suits.

I suppose it comes down to what your wallet is happy with. You'll shoot the same holes with them all, with the same boring reliability. With the Sig, you will have leftover funds for more mags, holsters, etc.

I'd say get one now, start saving pennies for the second and eventually get them all. I know, that didn't help a bit.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Staccato P and Wilson X9 so not the exact same models you are asking about, but close. I like the Staccato P but if I had to choose one, it would be the Wilson. The build quality, customer service and warranty on the Wilson is hard to be beat.

I also like the easy to replace front sight (they sell lots of sight options) on the X9's and mag quality/reliability over 2011 mags.

Posts: 425 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The Sig ain’t even in the same league. The answer is easily the X9L imo. I had STI’s once and got rid of all of them. The main issue is the mags. They are absolute shit. They need to be “tuned” constantly. If the feed lip gets a little bump..mag won’t work. It was brutal!

X9 mags are robust and don’t need special treatment and tools to get them to run and keep them running.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Have 2 STI’s (DVC-L and Costa Carry) and I have maybe 5k rounds between the 2 now. I have 10 magazines and have never had the first issue with any of the mags or guns. They are a dream to shoot. I find myself shooting them more than any other guns.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current "Gen 2" STI magazines are different and much more reliable. They are also relatively affordable.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I must have all gen2 mags because I have never had the first issue with them.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Have 2 STI’s (DVC-L and Costa Carry) and I have maybe 5k rounds between the 2 now. I have 10 magazines and have never had the first issue with any of the mags or guns. They are a dream to shoot. I find myself shooting them more than any other guns.

How do you like your DVC-L? It's one of the guns I was also looking at since the DVC 3-Gun that hooked me originally was discontinued.

Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Excellent gun and I have to admit it looks sexy with the chrome frame, tree bark gripe and TiN barrel. It weighs over 40 oz unloaded. Recoil is very mild (mine are both 9MM) Trigger is crisp and sharp at 2.5 lbs. I've been in a cycle where I bring one of my STI guns and my carry 365 to the range. I just cant force myself to shoot anything else as the STI's are so easy and fun to shoot. Just have to bring lots of ammo because a 21 rd mag chews through your inventory.

posted Hide Post
I think I'm down to 6 STIs. I've probably had 20, over the years. The only caliber I ever had issues with STI magazines, that were actually for my .38 Supercomp, so they didn't have spacers in them, so, I just bought SVI magazines to use for 9mm. That was several years ago. I know that SVI and STI have made magazine changes since, but, I have enough for my lifetime.
I also own a Les Baer, and a Wilson. Both are very accurate and reliable pistols. I HAD a Sig Allround, that I sold to a friend.
I wouldn't put a Legion in the same class as a Baer, Wilson, STI, or a Sig, out of the custom shop.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch an STI, simply because of their warranty support. WC's is phenomenal.

Wilson OTOH makes a top notch product and top notch warranty support. I prefer my Ed Brown over my WC, but the WC is a very very close 2nd...…

A legion is not in the same ballpark.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I am aware of that. That’s why it’s up there as the “cheap” option.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Wilson as well.

The customer support at STI is total and complete SHIT! and I would feel guilty if I didn't warn you ahead of time.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
That is true, STI’s CS is awful. A few years ago I had a thread here about my 8 month fiasco with a Guardian 9mm from them. Eventually they refunded my money.

I still have the pics, but they cut my frame, shaved part down...it was truly appalling what they did. I will give them credit for actually refunding me my money when I sent them my sales receipt. That was the only good thing they did in those 8 months.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I am aware of that. That’s why it’s up there as the “cheap” option.

The Dan Wesson 1911 slide/ CZ frame gun that's coming out looks like a great cheap option and a bit more in the 1911 arena.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post