SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about 10 1/2" AR pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about 10 1/2" AR pistols Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Since there's is so much knowledge here. Tell me about 10 1/2" AR pistols. Looking at AR pistols in 5.56 and 300 BLK. I see Ruger makes both who else should I be looking at? Reliability is a must have. Would Like to keep it under $1200.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
If reliability is must and you have to have 10.5 5.56...Daniel Defense MK18. That being said, my PSA 10.5 upper has been very impressive for the 180.00 price tag. Brownells has had the stripped MK18 upper for 700.00, should keep you under 1200.00 complete.

If 300blk is on the table, everyone makes a reliable 10.5 300blk. Your option open up a lot on 5.56 if you steup up to a 11.5 barrel.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Count me as another vote for a Daniel Defense MK18, based on your criteria. The Brownells DD factory upper is a great way to get into a reliable 10.3 pistol. Use Active Junky and wait for a Brownells 10% code and you can do it even cheaper.

Follow up with a DD BCG and the pistol lower of your choice and you’re there.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are loud and obnoxious. Great to suppress. Fun to shoot. Tall folks find them harder to shoot as you run out of real estate.

Personally, Bravo Company is my go to for the better quality Uppers.

If you want stellar performance... MSTN, Wes Grant is the best custom builder I know. He builds for many top tier shooters. Definitely, won't be disappointed with anything he does.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are smaller, louder, lower velocity, and much more compact. They definitely need a brace to shoot accurately.

I agree with going with a good firm for reliability.

Read:
https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/banshee/

This will give you an idea what is available.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went 300blk and BCM. Purchased the upper and lower at different times to help spread the monetary hit out over time. It will be a future suppressor host. Shot over 100 rounds last week of both supers and subs with 100% function. With having to get both a BCG and charging handle I am close to $1400 without optic.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Stick with the Ruger pistol.

I built my own, ( went with an 11.5" barrel instead, ) but the Ruger will serve very well and they back their products to the hilt.

For dd, I'd recommend the V7p, ( either the complete pistol or just the URG, ) over the MK18, unless you specifically want an M1913 quad rail. The V7p is lighter and costs a little less.

BCM is another solid option.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'll stick this in here. NOT Danial Defense. But would likely do the job.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...stol-5165448581.html

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'll stick this in here. NOT Danial Defense.

I think I know where you're coming from on this and I agree with ya, based on some of their policies and practices.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my PSA/mix parts set up as my HD rig. Great size, I've had no issues. 100% reliable so far. I crawled over it and atleast mine was put together very well. Its accurate for its purposes but I'm not taking out past 50 max unless I have a very weird night.

I like the SBA3 and Tailhook for stocks. I have a Kaw Valley blast forwarder which works very nicely for me but you are throwing Hadoukens out of the front with each trigger press.

I've always read 11.5 is more reliable than 10.5 but again mine has been solid though plenty of shooting and 1 class so far.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do an 11.5" or 12.5" instead. Better ballistics, more options for handguards, suppresses better, etc.

In a 10.5", the PSA kits are the way to go. Very well made for what they are.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Up until recently 11.5" Colt Commando LE6933 Uppers were available for around $400. The extra inch over a 10.5" really helps far in excess of it's size.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6933 and a MK18. Both run great. The extra weight of the DD is noticeable and the inch less is not. FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to suppress or shoot outside. If you’re only an indoor range guy do everyone a favor and at least suppress it.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Under 11.5” I would go with the .300 over 5.56]

I have a SBR that is a 8.5” AAC .300 BLK upper with a collapsible stock. The ballistics in that length in .300 BLK are excellent.

My HD gun is a factory colt commando with an 11.5” barrel and a Sig titanium suppressor on it. I went ultra simple and lightweight with it, amd have a law tactical folding stock on it. If I take the can off and fold the stock it fits in a normal backpack. Again, with 11.5” I’m not giving up the ballistic capabilities of the HD rounds I use. Again, though, this is an SBR, not a pistol.

There is plenty written about the advantages of the 11.5 or 12.5 over the 10.5. The mk18 mod 0 was developed for a very specific mission. The consensus (for whatever it’s worth) is that generally that 11.5” is as short as you really want to go for 5.56. Again, it’s the interwebs...the data and opinions are out there from a variety of “experts”....read them and see what you think. I had a DD mk 18 mod 0 upper i ran suppressed on an SBR. It performed admirably, but I ditched it in favor of the shorter .300 BLK and a 12.5” 5.56 upper

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, you'd better get a can. The blast on SB ARs is freakin' atrocious

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
My PSA 10.5 is a "blast" to shoot....

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dwell time is a known factor with any of the MK18 type clones. If you are getting a barrel in the 10.3 or 10.5 range, the gas port size should be around .070. Larger ports will be overgassed when using a can.

I have used one of the newer 10.3" DD uppers with correct gas port size, a 11.5" Colt, and a 10.3" BA Hanson with the correct gas spec. All 3 ran great and were soft shooters.

Posts: 705 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
They are loud and obnoxious. This is not a pistol, but it's a 10.5" PSA CHF barrel that I used to build an upper for work. Here's the initial test fire with AAC's muzzle brake. I like to call it the trident of fire.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7991 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Before I installed a Noveske KX3 on my 11.5" pistol, I had a dd Gen 2 muzzle climb mitigator on it.

While recoil was next to nothing, the muzzle flash was impressive! Big Grin