SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10929 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I choose 40S&W or 9mm because of a key reason: for the same number of rounds--which to me matters more than the hole size each round is capable of--the 45 pistol typically is either bigger, heavier or usually both. Less appealing to carry if I have to deal with this big tumor strapped to my waist. Besides, making a big hole doesn't mean much if I miss, so I'd rather maximize the number of opportunities TO miss, because conversely I'm also in better shape to get actual hits.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember exactly how it went or where I read it but I once saw a quote that made me laugh. It went something like “9mm is what you use to defend France. .45 ACP is what you use to liberate France.”

Of course I use a Glock 19 as my carry and my HD gun but I love my Colt .45 1911 and the above quote makes me chuckle every time I pull it out of the safe.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 45 because it does not put a metric size hole in my target (LOL).

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's always the window sticker that says ".45acp, because shooting twice is silly."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I dunno. Either the 357SIG or the .45 or the .38 Super or the 9mm is cleaned and lubed and sighted in. I guess I'm lazy enough to figure "why not?".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I carry 9mm, .380 and .45.

Having said that, if you shoot steel with .45 and then with 9mm, you will see and hear that the .45 hits the steel harder.

I find it hard to believe that won’t matter in a self defense scenario.

The calibers do not hit steel the same, so why assume they hit an assailant that same?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:
I like the 45 because it does not put a metric size hole in my target (LOL).

Best answer yet!! Remember, with all those ammo improvements the 9mm have seen, the 45 enjoyed as well.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I carry 9mm, .380 and .45.

Having said that, if you shoot steel with .45 and then with 9mm, you will see and hear that the .45 hits the steel harder.

I find it hard to believe that won’t matter in a self defense scenario.

The calibers do not hit steel the same, so why assume they hit an assailant that same?

Think about this one...
You have twice the mass hitting a surface, sure its going to sound louder. What it does on the inside is what matters.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Because they don’t make a .46

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
It’s about the Indian, not the arrow...

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Oh no! Another 9 v .45. Big Grin

I think it's been a few weeks since the last one, so it's time. Maybe we can throw in this one by adding round count info.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly it's personal preference.
In Maine the top deer cartridge is the 30'06. Probably 99% of hunters in Maine could get the job done with a 30/30 which cost less to shoot and has less recoil. Doesn't mean the 30'06 is any less effective.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have both and generally carry the 9mm.

The other day I was hiking an unknown trail in a National Forest, solo. I kept thinking to myself, "I'm not sure 9mm would be enough against a bear..."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I can argue both sides. I generally carry 9mm, but the 45 is so much fun to shoot. Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Because they don’t make a .46

For the win!!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I carried 45acp for years in a Wilson compact 1911. I switched to 357 sig around 2007 and carried an HK P2000 and an HK P2000SK for almost a decade. A funny thing happened after I bought a P2000 and P2000SK in 9mm for training. I found I shot them slightly more accurately but way faster than the 357sig variants. So now, for the last few years I have been carrying 9mm. I am comfortable with any of the above mentioned calibers, but probably still shoot 45 better than any other calibers because of the platforms I use to shoot it. I don’t really see what difference it makes, in a defensive situation I would much rather be equipped with a long arm than a handgun.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
In NYS, we are limited to a magazine capacity of 10rnds.

Now, the benefit of a 9mm has always been firepower notwithstanding the better bullet construction and performance of modern bullets.

If you could only have a weapon that contained 10rnds why wouldn't you choose .45ACP?

Except where it makes sense, like a subcompact where 10 of 9mm is a benefit to generally 6-7 .45ACP.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

And in Kommie states with magazine restrictions, you can make the case that bigger boolets are better boolets when the number of boolets is equal. Wink

^^^ this ^^^

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I carry a SIG P938 because it's easy to conceal, accurate, reliable, controllable, comfortable and I am confident with it. I'm a 1911 fan so the P938 platform suits me well. I do not carry the P938 because I prefer 9mm over a 45 ACP.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post