SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP...why wold someone choose it over 9mm... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
With all the momentum to the 9mm - who carries a .45 ACP? If you do, why do you choose a .45 ACP?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh no! Another 9 v .45. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26380 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just like the feel of my Kimber CDP Pro in my hand, it just fits.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It makes a bigger hole than a .357 inch projectile. Recoil wise, I personally think it’s more of a “push” than snappy like 9mm or .40 S&W. Weapon size is not significantly more with .45 IMO. I carry a commander sized Dan Wesson about as much as anything I own.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bigger hole. but I carry 357 sig so I can't talk.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
bigger hole. but I carry 357 sig so I can't talk.

Ditto.
When the chief asked if we should switch from 40 to 45 or 9, I suggested 357 and voila, city pays for my plinking ammo now! Big Grin

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not chose, but have both & why not? All situational for time a hand.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. That's enough.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think of all the fine folks who have removed from existence by good old American 45 ACP ball over the years. That makes it a good choice for me.
I like being part of a tradition!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because in my Les Baer Monolith the .45 goes exactly where I tell it to.

And seriously, every time I load a 1911 magazine with even ball ammo, I get a little giddy...never happened with 9mm.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
I carry a Springfield xde .45. No particular reason I also have the 9mm. I try to buy for useability not just looks or hype.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I choose it over 9mm... I like all ammunition types equally depending on what type of ammo a certain firearm I like shoots.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, while I prefer 9MM for a carry pistol, I would have no real problem carrying one of my 45 instead (like my HK45C).

Yeah, 9MM ammo has become a lot more effective with modern JHPs, but 7-8rds of Winchester RA45T isn't anything to laugh at.

And in Kommie states with magazine restrictions, you can make the case that bigger boolets are better boolets when the number of boolets is equal. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually carry .357 Sig, but I own a number of .45 firearms in auto and single action, and carbines. I like .45 acp an .45 Colt (and .45/70).

Why would anyone choose to own or carry .45? Confidence, comfort, familiarity, owns .45 firearms, low(er)-pressure, easy to shoot, easy to reload, popular for competition, or just plain old like .45. Take your pick. Probably a couple hundred other reasons that people own and carry it. I just bought a couple more handguns in .45acp (just picked up a HK45C).

Who doesn't love a round you can watch go downrange? Who cares about "momentum toward 9mm?" Why worry about what others are doing?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Seemed like the 45 auto has proven to work just fine. Way back when about 100 years ago by a guy by the name of Alvin York.

During the assault, six German soldiers in a trench near York charged him with fixed bayonets. York had fired all the rounds in his M1917 Enfield rifle, but drew his M1911 pistol and shot all six German soldiers before they could reach him.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I typically carry a G19 but picked up a G30SF recently and it is growing on me. Close to the same size and only two rounds sacrificed to go with the .45 and what glorious rounds.

I also like the accuracy of the .45ACP. I need a few more trips to the range and I may have a new EDC.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Single action
Cocked and locked

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Cause it makes a bigger hole.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I like and have both calibers but I have been on a big bore kick for the past 2 years.

Momentum as someone else said, interests me. Also from a handloaders perspective, assembling .45 acp and .44 Special is an interesting pastime. I have never even used my 9mm dies.

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Because single stack guns are easier to conceal, and if you're only going to get 8+1, might as well be a .45. Carry a P-220 DAK (when I'm not carry my HK P2000sk 357 SIG), plus I shoot this particular gun very well,and find it one of the easiest to get a full grip on in a hurry from concealment.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post