SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    And now: The Sig P365 SAS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And now: The Sig P365 SAS Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
These are out, a dealer in Oklahoma has 'em IN STOCK!

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda like it except, and this is the deal killer for me, the stupid porting.

I even think an XL set up this way but, (do I have to say it?) without the porting would be interesting.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be good if they had a way to make the sight picture a traditional three dot. Maybe machine in dots on the rear of the slide to fit the "front sight" in. Could also put tritium vials in there for low light sights. The pistol is so narrow, I could see the back of the gun acting as a rear sight.

Caveat: I do not have a P365, but this sighting system seems innovative. I wonder how effective it is, and I would like to try it.

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just from monkeyfingering one today, it might work OK. It doesn't take much to put the dot in the middle of the circle in order to 'align' the sights. I guess we'll have to wait and see what people say once they've taken them to the range, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like it, and will be buying one. But I don't live where "night vision" is really a thing.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I really like the sights on my current 365 as they are. Always carry it in a pocket holster (Sticky), or in a OWB holster, and have zero issues with either. I will just stay with it, works fine for me, YMMV.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Where that new no-snag sight might be really interesting is if they could find a way to marry it up with a red dot. Unfortunately, they'd have to put the red dot right on top of it, which would get in the way of its being illuminated by ambient light.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil has been a professional shooter for enough years that he could probably clean that plate rack without any sights.
It is an interesting concept. It actually makes your eye the rear sight, kind of like the "tom Knapp" sight for shotgun. I can be as accurate, with a slug, with the "tom Knapp" sight, as I can with a red dot sight.
I've had guns Mag na Ported, and the only one that seemed to do anything was a S&W 629 (.44 magnum) The porting helped with muzzle rise, but, put more of the shock in to my hand.
a brake actually works, it makes my .460 feel more like a .44 magnum, but, not with any 9mm factory loads I've tried. They need LOTS of gas. Guys that handload for 9mm "open" guns make ammo makers cringe.
I've shot a couple of dark houses, at matches with open guns, and I certainly wouldn't want porting of any kind on a carry gun.
I would love to see a side by side test, where somebody shot a standard 365 vs the SAS, off the bench, at 25 yards.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EasyFire:
Just talked yesterday with a rep from Sig and was told the following:
Likely released early next month.
Price undetermined yet.
No info on just purchasing a non-ported barrel.
Will not have a thumb safety.
Slide does not appear taller than base slide so it appears the rear sight is cut down into the slide.
Offered No warranty these answers are correct. :

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought an SAS yesterday after eyeballing it in the shop. I’ve carried a vanilla 365 for a while now but wanted another for a project. Took it to the range today to work it out side-by-side and I’m sold on the rear sight. I was more accurate with it at 7 yards by a decent margin after 2-3 introductory mags. The muzzle flip was noticeably more subdued and I could get back on target quicker. It’s more fun to shoot and as a result I’ll train with it more. 200 rounds today and I could have kept going if not for the need to sight in another gun at 100 yards while things were quiet.

The differences: The recessed slide release took some adjustment, I’ll need to train on that a bit to remember not to reach for it with my thumb. The takedown lever is gone and the recessed “pin” is fiddly. I guess you can use a shell casing to unlock it but it’s hard to get the feel for how hard to twist. I did it wrong at first...the slide has to be locked open and my leatherman slipped off a couple times and scratched into the frame...it’s taut. And finally, the recoil spring on mine was binding near the middle. The spring wanted to double up on itself and the result was that the pistol wouldn’t lock open with an empty mag. The extra resistance of the bound spring required a very strong pull to get it to lock open. I was able to unbind it and it shot well for another 150 rounds but then it happened again. I compared the spring assembly on the 365 to the SAS and it was easy to see the issue. Hopefully this was an anomaly and SIG will send me a new one. Not sure if they’re the same assembly or not, will call tomorrow to find out.

Regarding the sights, I compared plain 365 to SAS in a dark room and found the SAS to be superior in brightness and easy to line up on a target. Not sure how the compensated barrel and slide would work in a dark room, and not sure I’ll ever have a chance to find out unless I’m in a bad situation.

Overall I like the SAS better because I can shoot it more accurately, faster, and the sights are higher visibility. After I get the spring replaced and tested, the SAS will become my edc and the 365 will become a spare.

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
noVirtu, were the sights covering the POI, ie. combat hold, or were the sights at a 6 o'clock hold to hit the center of your target?

Also, what was the farthest distance you fired from and how was the accuracy at that distance?

Thanks!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
noVirtu, nice mini-review write up on your new P365 SAS.
And, welcome to the forum!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
noVirtu, were the sights covering the POI, ie. combat hold, or were the sights at a 6 o'clock hold to hit the center of your target?

Also, what was the farthest distance you fired from and how was the accuracy at that distance?

Thanks!

I’d define it as a 6 o’clock hold, or lollipop target. I rest the centered reticle directly beneath what I’m aiming at, center the dot inside the circle, address the target (from below, resting directly below the target. The recoil is smoother (compensation I suppose) and the circle / dot configuration is intuitive, I don’t misplace my front sight if I tilt the gun left or right - and the circle of aim is ready for the next shot. THis things gets “ballpark” close very easy but can be multiple shots through the same hole if you really get that reticle lined up.

The bulk of distance was 7–8 yards. I didn’t try any 15 yard groups today because I wanted to tighten my SAS groups and reproduce. ANd compare with the plain 365. Plain Jane took a longer time to line up the follow up shots, and the it had a little more muzzle flip. And the sights dong “jump out at you” as much. I have nice Truglo tfx milled steel peepers on a Glock and the new SAS sights might even be better than those. They’re already better than the stock night sights on P365 and GLock 19x.

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noVirtu:
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:

Thanks!

I’d define it as a 6 o’clock hold, or lollipop target. I rest the centered reticle directly beneath what I’m aiming at, center the dot inside the circle, address the target (from below, resting directly below the target. The recoil is smoother (compensation I suppose) and the circle / dot configuration is intuitive, I don’t misplace my front sight if I tilt the gun left or right - and the circle of aim is ready for the next shot. THis things gets “ballpark” close very easy but can be multiple shots through the same hole if you really get that reticle lined up.

The bulk of distance was 7–8 yards. I didn’t try any 15 yard groups today because I wanted to tighten my SAS groups and reproduce. ANd compare with the plain 365. Plain Jane took a longer time to line up the follow up shots, and the it had a little more muzzle flip. And the sights dong “jump out at you” as much. I have nice Truglo tfx milled steel peepers on a Glock and the new SAS sights might even be better than those. They’re already better than the stock night sights on P365 and GLock 19x.

Fantastic to hear, I'm appreciating the write up and your first hand experience.
I'm looking forward to one showing up at my dealer.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The sight is the only thing I find interesting on this SAS model.

I believe I will stick with my plain Jane P365 in a Sticky holster.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one today and love the sights -- ported barrel doesn't concern me one way or the other.

But the takedown? Hell, I can't even get it unlocked. There must be some magic trick and I'll need to dig around the Sig site to find out. Which is a bummer because the last thing I need is another thing to remember when the pressure is on (should have had them do it in the store and it's way too long a drive to go back just for this).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
I bought one today and love the sights -- ported barrel doesn't concern me one way or the other.

But the takedown? Hell, I can't even get it unlocked. There must be some magic trick and I'll need to dig around the Sig site to find out. Which is a bummer because the last thing I need is another thing to remember when the pressure is on (should have had them do it in the store and it's way too long a drive to go back just for this).

Why would you need to take it apart “when the pressure is on”?

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just need to lock the slide, take a flat head screw driver to the takedown slot and turn right just past half....then sling shot it slowly off the frame.

Posts: 24 | Registered: March 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just handled one of these yesterday. I’d never heard of it and don’t generally like polymer framed SIGs but I immediately liked this pistol. It felt great in hand and I loved that sight. The only thing I didn’t like was that potted barrel. I’d have probably bought it on the spot if not for that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: photoman12001,

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
I just handled one of these yesterday. I’d never heard of it and don’t generally like polymer framed SIGs but I immediately liked this pistol. It felt great in hand and I loved that sight. The only thing I didn’t like was that potted barrel. I’d have probably bought it on the spot if not for they.

Sig is selling the SAS slide separately. It doesn't have the porting.

Sig's thread on the product:
P365 SAS Slide Assembly Now Sold on the SIG Webstore!
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3810088364/p/1

Direct link to product:
https://www.sigsauer.com/store...-slide-assembly.html

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post